Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Please excuse this math-impaired question, but how big exactly is a HOTT camp base (or stronghold) for 25-28 mm? What I have seen in games looks much bigger than the “600 paces” mentioned in the rules.

2. The rules state that only the defender deploys a base camp. But do both usually deploy one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm not sure about size. I would have to read that part of the rules. As I remember it, there is a maximum and minimum size. I think this ends up being about 3 to 9 inches square.

2. Only the defender has a camp on the board, but usually people make a camp for each army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, p12: "A stronghold much fit inside an imaginary rectangle of 600p maximum length and width, and must itself be at least 200p in length and width."

If you've seen bigger ones, either the players have made a mistake, or they're using a house rule. Since a bigger Stronghold is easier to attack, oversize ones ought not be much of an issue balance wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Guerini Rocco
Italy
Milano - ITALY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd ed. rules, p.12 - Strongholds
"A stronghold must fit inside an imaginary rectangle of 600p maximum length and width, and must itself be at least 200p in length and width."

In the 25-28mm scale the suggested equivalent to 100p is 40mm, so your stronghold could span between 240mm and 80mm in length and width.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim brown
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
1. Please excuse this math-impaired question, but how big exactly is a HOTT camp base for 25-28 mm? What I have seen in games looks much bigger than the “600 paces” mentioned in the rules.

The Rules say "600paces maximum length and width" - if you are playing with 25-28mm figures and using the suggested ground scale of 1cm=25paces then you would have a stronghold that could be up to 24cm and each side must be at least 8cm.

Now what I'M not entirely sure about is if that means each side can be up to 600 paces or if the total of the two sides can be no more than 600 paces. The latter seems a bit small and I have to admit most of my strongholds are bigger than THAT. I don't think too many would complain about you using a bigger stronghold as bigger does mean it should be slightly easier to get to!

Of course if you have magicians in your army and you're making it bigger so that it's easier for them to be closer (they get some benefit if being bespelled...) that might not go over so well...

capt yid wrote:
2. The rules state that only the defender deploys a base camp. But do both usually deploy one?

Nope, just the defender.

tim
http://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's 600p length and 600p width.

Keep in mind that a camp could be over 800p long, if it were a lenticular shape 200p wide in the middle.

Consider a 600x600p square, and imagine a 200p circle inside the square. You can put the circle anywhere inside the square you like. If your base fits in the square and covers the circle, you're golden.

http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine/wargames/hottfaq2....

As mentioned, though, your best off practically and tactically just getting an old CD and building on that.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses.
With width of 8-24 cm I will be able to build my “wall” at about 8” long.
The dimension minimum 200 paces deep leads to a sturdy base about 3” wide (80mm minimum).
Mostly will use it to display thematic elements that don’t quite work as figures.
Thanks!
To be devious, a HOTTS base camp could be as small as 80x80mm, but that’s not fair!
++++

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Galkin
Ukraine
flag msg tools
we just use 40 x 40 cm square

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zeeL wrote:
we just use 40 x 40 cm square

for 25mm HOTT, think that is too small; see above comments....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

40x40 cm? That's 10x10 inches? Isn't that huge?

40x40 mm would be well under the proscribed size.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

40x40 cm? That's 10x10 inches? Isn't that huge?

40x40 mm would be well under the proscribed size.

Andrew

Good point Andrew;
Please excuse my feet-inches mindset that ignored
the cm; assumed it was mm.
Square is atypical around here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mann
France
Marseille
Marseille
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Can anyone tell me the dimensions in milimetres for HOTT stronghold base sizes for 15mm gamers? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least 50x50mm, and must fit within 150x150mm.

(Treating one inch as 25mm - if you want to be really exact, it's 50.8x50.8mm and 152.4x152.4mm respectively.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Beattie
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Please be kind to your fellow readers and use the terms from the rules to avoid confusion. There are no camps in HOTT. The defender sets up a Stronghold, to protect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.