Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the couple of WADBAG events I have played in, I have a basic understanding of the rules (DBA is definitely better learned by being shown than only reading rules).
Playing solitaire to scratch the surface of various strategies, I have run across these basic questions (sorry if they are answered elsewhere):

1. Does a general lend his +1 if he is only providing overlap support?
2. Groups can be shaped like an “F” as long as all figures have front corner alignments?
3. Only units not directly adjacent (and facing an enemy) auto turn to face an approaching flanker?
4. Does a unit turn to face its flanker if the facing enemy retreats?
5. Often you want to shift a well-formed line sideways, which is not permitted as a group move, is this only possible by moving one figure at a time sideways?
6. Is one figure at a time also the only way to “retreat” your well-formed line?
7. The rules say that for LH to move twice in a turn, both moves cannot be a “base width” away from an enemy; this prohibits sliding within 40 mm past enemy units?
8. Once one side achieves 4 kills, the bound must still be completed, so a tie may result; does game then continue?
9. If a road is directly adjacent to the map edge can figures move “along” it though not astride?
10. Anyone have an easy-to-read chart of "quick-kill" combos? (hard to glean from rules)

Experimenting solitaire with matched Roman pairs to progress from concentrating on flanks to terrain placement. There are many further concerns for future learning: General placement, Artillery (whole different thread), Column/Group movement, Light Horse tricks, Psiloi support, Base Camp attacks, etc.
I know that the Fanacticus site is brimming with useful and entertaining info but I am currently VERY limited in my web surfing; thanks!
++++++++++++++++++

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim brown
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
1. Does a general lend his +1 if he is only providing overlap support?

no.

capt yid wrote:
2. Groups can be shaped like an “F” as long as all figures have front corner alignments?

Yes. Front corner to front corner and side edge to side edge contact and none are in bad going.

capt yid wrote:
3. Only units not directly adjacent (and facing an enemy) auto turn to face an approaching flanker?

??? Units that have had an enemy unit move into a legal flank position (front corner to front corner and front edge to side edge contact) or Rear contact (full front to full rear edge contact) will turn to face said enemy at the end of the movement phase only if they are not in contact to an enemy to their front.

capt yid wrote:

If a facing enemy recoils, flees or is destroyed any unit that was in a flank position should have also recoiled.

capt yid wrote:
5. Often you want to shift a well-formed line sideways, which is not permitted as a group move, is this only possible by moving one figure at a time sideways?

Yes. unless you are moving the line into contact then you can shift the line by no more than one half a base width so as to line up with the units you are contacting.

capt yid wrote:
6. Is one figure at a time also the only way to “retreat” your well-formed line?

Yes.

capt yid wrote:
7. The rules say that for LH to move twice in a turn, both moves cannot be a “base width” away from an enemy; this prohibits sliding within 40 mm past enemy units?

Yes.

capt yid wrote:
8. Once one side achieves 4 kills, the bound must still be completed, so a tie may result; does game then continue?

Yes. Until one side has lost it's general or 4 units (not Scythed chariots, camp followers or denizens) AND more elements than the enemy.

capt yid wrote:
9. If a road is directly adjacent to the map edge can figures move “along” it though not astride?

You mean sideways..? leading with a side edge? if that's what you mean then no.

capt yid wrote:
10. Anyone have an easy-to-read chart of "quick-kill" combos? (hard to glean from rules)

Have a look around the resources at http://fanaticus.org/, I'm sure I saw one around there somewhere...

Hope that helps...

tim
http://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim in Saskatoon wrote:

capt yid wrote:

If a facing enemy recoils, flees or is destroyed any unit that was in a flank position should have also recoiled.

I believe he's refering to a case where the frontal opponent makes a disengaging move in the movement phase, using PIPs. In this case the flanked unit will turn to face the flanker at the end of the movement phase (unless the flankee were impetuous, in which case it'd pursue out of contact as soon as the frontal opponent broke off).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim in Saskatoon wrote:

capt yid wrote:

You mean sideways..? leading with a side edge? if that's what you mean then no.

I think he means moving forwards, front edge leading, but not centrally astride the road as there's no place on one side for the element to extend beyond the road on that side.

A strict reading of the rules would suggest the answer is still "no", but nobody should be placing a road like that in the first place; it's just silly and the rules clearly didn't foresee such silliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for all the quick and helpful answers.
You read through my mangled verbiage, and even answered questions I didn’t ask.
Mostly reaffirming hunches but some correction of basic misunderstandings.
(still like a concise quick-kill chart.)
There is still much to learn, and the Fanacticus essays make more and more sense.
Grateful,
Gordon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out my Reverse Combat Table, which lists combat outcomes (incl. quickkills) by inflicting element (as opposed to by suffering element, as in the table in the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Reverse Combat Table makes many things much more clear;
it should be in the "files" section.

One suggestion: may want to add a horizontal division in mid-chart
just above the "total doubled...".

Great work! A necessity for anyone's game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D'ja like this version better?

I suppose I can submit it as a file - it can't violate copyright very much more than plenty other rule summaries and QRS's already on the 'Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great!
Ready for prime time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've submitted it; it may be some time before it's approved as, apparently, even BGG administrators get summer leave. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim brown
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim in Saskatoon wrote:
capt yid wrote:

Yes.

Hi again, it has been brought to my attention that the "not starting, ending or going within an element base width on an enemy" applies only to the second/subsequent move, not the first move... So on the first move they could start within a base width, or slide past a unit's side or rear within a base width, but it can't start, end, or move within a base width during the second/subsequent move.

I should also mention you should check out the Fanaticus Forum.

http://fanaticus.org/discussion/index.php

It is devoted to all things DBA. A great resource and a great place to ask questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.