shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Yeah a bunch of new users voting the game a 10 and the only topic on the game is started by a new user who joined around the same time.

Bad name indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Sleepy
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mb
Haha!

I didn't even notice that my joining date was around the same time as theirs.

Although I think if I was being underhanded, I may have chosen a slightly different topic rather than say "hey look at us - we're all shilling this game!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alibi?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. These folks seem to think that this game is as good as/better than Agricola, Power Grid, Age Of Steam, Puerto Rico, Dominion, Twilight Struggle et al. Have these people even played other games???

Granted, I have not had the pleasure to try out this seemingly perfect game, but I'm pretty sure I will be disappointed when it doesn't live up to this high expectation.

If you're going to shill the system for a goofy little self-published card game, aim for a '7' or '8'. The current ratings (esp. by new users) cries 'desperate for attention'.

Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelonius wrote:
Wow. These folks seem to think that this game is as good as/better than Agricola, Power Grid, Age Of Steam, Puerto Rico, Dominion, Twilight Struggle et al. Have these people even played other games???

No they haven't - And that's what's so great about this beauty. It is the only game they play! It is that good. It has met all there gaming needs and desires in one little package. It is so wonderful, that they all felt the need to join BGG on the same week to tell us about it, and then they haven't logged back in since, because they are so engrossed in playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ware
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
. . and then they haven't logged back in since, because they are
so engrossed in playing the game.

Yeah, too busy to write us a review. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... and all of them, with the exception of one or two, say they're from California, joined within a few days of one another, logged in once or twice, and only have max. one other game in their collections.

It's sort of unfortunate, because the game definitely has some crazy artwork... I might have picked this up as what could be a fun party game, but now I think that there might be an underhanded marketing thing going on, I think I might just let it sit and rot on the shelves. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Post
msg tools
Hello BGG Forum-goers,

I am one of your much-scrutinized crowd of high-voters on this game. I would like to respond to the speculation you have had about the ratings we gave. First off, good show to the community for being as attentive and interested in the minor goings-on of the website to notice and discuss a peculiarity this small in scale. You are also correct; a few friends of the developer, some who had not heard of this website before, signed up to draw what they hoped would be positive attention to the first game in the Numbskull line. There is a person behind each vote though, I know each of them, and still see most for weekly game nights. To the extent that our efforts may have reflected poorly on the game, please allow me to explain.

Over the years we have played our fair share of games. Years before I ever met anyone in the group, they were meeting to play games. More interestingly, they were improving them. It was this group's attention to the underlying structure of gameplay, and their interest in what made a game fun for each player that probably kept me coming back to their game night, rather than anyone else's. The giant modified Axis and Allies dining table was impressive, but it was the eagerness to understand why I wanted to play this, instead of that, and to work out variants on gameplay that would go over better that mattered. Players and games came and went, but the variants accumulated. Patrick Stevens has opened his home to two generations of gamers for longer than I know, and all this time he has been listening to his guests' thoughts, praise, and complaints about games you may know and love. Wizard Kings and Camelot, Munchkin and Arkham Horror, Carcassone and Wallenstein, Iron Dragons and Robo Rally, and so on.

As I understand it, over the years Pat took variants further and further, until some games were unrecognizable. Eventually he had boxes of borrowed game pieces, rewritten rules, and self-printed maps, which in sum were simpler to call a name of their own than trying to describe each as the sum of their parts. We like playing his games, just as much as we like a polished world favorite, just as much as this week's new variant on Dune. In the last few years, Pat made a courageous decision for a working man, for a father, for a husband, for a gamer. Pat decided to sell his business, build a workshop, and try to publish his games.

We love him for it, and we want to do whatever we can to get him the attention we think his games deserve. For several of us, that meant sharing our enthusiasm for this game on this site. To the extent we were not already in the habit of rating games, or tracking our street-cred as gamers on this site, we weren't going to go out of our way to camouflage the nature of our vote. Don't get me wrong, this site is the best reference source for anything you'd need to know about a board game, we just aren't active members of it's online community.

This game is what it claims to be. This game is zany, short, and simple. When I have people over to my apartment now for game night, if any one brings a friend who isn't familiar with board games outside of the Hasbro universe, this is where I start them. So far they have all liked it. A few weeks later, deciding where we want to start for the night, they'll suggest it again. Looney Bin does not have the scale of Twilight Imperium, the competitive depth of Puerto Rico, or the intensity of Diplomacy. But for what it promises, this game delivers better than it's counterparts in Fluxx, Munchkin, Sleuth, or Clue for casual, accessible, and balanced fun. That's the reasoning behind my vote. I stand by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ascarin Falastur
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really judge the ratings differently if the users have avatars or not?
I cannot belive that you are so sketchy.

Can you imagine that there are many players that do not search a selfsatisfation by styling their character?
If you want that than you better start roleplaying!

You better mistrust those posers!

I know many players who are not interested in avatars and such. They are only interested in sharing serious information about games. That is the true spirit and the real value of BGG.

Sorry, but it seems to me there are some people who are only interested in their own profiling. Why not using facebook for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allen
Australia
Wagga Wagga
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brought to this thread by the "Games I Regret Buying" list. And amazed that shilling is defended on the grounds that it's ok when it is in support of the little guy. Sheesh. Many little guys use dishonest means to get on in life, they're called criminals. Using shills to solicit purchase of a product amounts to the crime of fraud. Many of those who buy games are little guys (and gals) themselves, and I'll bet they resent being conned out of their hard-earned by fraudsters. If you had genuinely wanted to ensure that potential purchasers of the game were not misled, that you were an honest appraiser, you would have alerted readers to the fact that you are personally acquainted, nay, friends, with the designer. Readers could then apply the appropriate discount to the credibility of your rating. That you did not disclose your interest would establish, in the eyes of a disinterested observer (me), that you were simply shilling. And shame on you for that, and your brazen response to the accusation in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.