Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a dumb apples vs oranges question, but of these 2 solitaire games, which do you folks think is the most fun, challenging, engaging ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have played RAF and it is an excellent game... totally engrossing and rewarding. But as far as I know D-DAY at Omaha Beach is not out yet (I am wrong about that - out for awhile - but I have just become aware of it) so I have never played it. I am curious about it... though I have some reservations about the map which is so busy I am not sure I can look past it and enjoy the game. We'll see - the write ups look good and I am an avid solo gamer so I'd say get both. They deal with different areas of the war. Another game to look at is Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic... I can't wait to get my hands on that one.

Edit for false info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are truly different games and it may be hard to compare them. I would say that Omaha is more challenging for me because I've yet to beat it. It is very different (no dice) and the map actually works very well.
RAF is a classic (reborn) and is fun and also challenging. I have won and it has beaten me, too.
Get both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Chris - I have the original RAF and got RAF:Lion v. Eagle this summer about two weeks before DDOB. I spent MANY a moon playing RAF and finally developed a pretty good strategy for beating it. I played LION right off the bat and scored a decisive victory. It's still a very engrossing game and had a lot of fun. My fortunes always hinged on a particular raid or two, from which "momentum" always seemed to spring! I know some solitaire guys know what that feels like!

I was about to play EAGLE when I got DDOB in the mail - and after reading the rules, it just begged to be played first! I got trounced the first time out, like many players it seems. But it quickened my resolve to try new strategies and so I played it again right away. I got past the beach (which is turn 17 in the campaign game) but know I'm having difficulty dealing with the new tactics the Germans throw at you. It's one thing to have static emplacements to deal with but quite to another to have dynamic forces coming at you!

It will take me perhaps longer to develop an effective strategy with DDOB as I did with RAF but that's the fun of these games...in the journey! But that being said, I fully plan to get back to EAGLE very soon!

They are both equally engaging but if I had to pick a more engrossing and challenging one, I would pick DDOB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bith games are good. I really like RAF, but for the gameplay D-Day at Omaha is probably better.

The BIG problem with this game is the map: it is simply awful (sorry).

Hopefully someone will have the drive and talent to do a graphic remake. Right now I am stuck with a great game that I just cannot play because I absolutely can't look at the map for more than 5 minutes.

Is it me the problem? I just can't understand how a map like this can be put into production...

IMHO Decision Games has striked again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

Is it me the problem? I just can't understand how a map like this can be put into production... (

Do you have trouble distinguishing the colors? Otherwise, I'm surprised it's hard for you to sort out. At first glance it looks pretty busy, but once I learned the rules I found it to be very straightforward. But I did tell a friend of mine (who is more or less colorblind) that if he can't tell the colors apart, I think the game would be completely unplayable for him. We'll try it out co-op some day and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, I really like the map. The fields of fire couldn't be more clear, and fields of fire are really important in this game. I also find it pleasant to look at. But it's true, for someone color-blind, it might not be playable.

More generally, I think there are more decisions in Omaha Beach than RAF. While I enjoy both, for me Omaha is the more rewarding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.