Chris Kovac
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Over the last month or so I have been playing Conflict of Heroes fairly regularly with 2 players. We have worked out most of the games nuauances but have had some problems interperting some of the action cards. These cards though they cannot win you the game outright can tip the game in your favour if used properly. The cards which we had the most difficulty interperting were:

1. Command Action

We interperted it in that if you use this card you can due one command action on a unit at no cost such as move (one movement action point worth including open space and road bonuses), fire or rally. You cannot use this card to supplement the dice rolls for a units combat. Is this the right interpertation ? Also could you use this card to pay the cost of another card which needs command points ?

2. Dual Attack

We interperted this card in that it allows you to move two different units one after the other without your opponent getting to move a unit in between. It does not allow you to have two full action moves with the same unit. Is this the right interpertation ?

3. Lay Land Mines

The idea laying a land mine was fairly clear though it states on the card and not in the rules that only a unit with no hits can lay a mine. The part we had a little bit of a problem was that if you lay mines in an enemies line of sight are they visible ?

Finally when using action cards you can only use them in your turn not as an opportunity action. Is this correct ? Any help would be most welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrtoronto wrote:

1. Command Action

We interperted it in that if you use this card you can due one command action on a unit at no cost such as move (one movement action point worth including open space and road bonuses), fire or rally. You cannot use this card to supplement the dice rolls for a units combat. Is this the right interpertation ? Also could you use this card to pay the cost of another card which needs command points ?

You are correct with your interpretation. With your second question, no, you couldn't use the command action card to pay the cost of another card in your hand. That's a creative idea though!

Quote:

2. Dual Attack

We interperted this card in that it allows you to move two different units one after the other without your opponent getting to move a unit in between. It does not allow you to have two full action moves with the same unit. Is this the right interpertation ?

Once you play the Dual Attack card, you can make two actions in a row without your opponent reacting. this is ANY two actions, with any units. It doesn't matter what the action is, or what units you do with them. The actions still cost whatever they would cost before. The only thing this card actually does is takes away your opponent's ability to react after your next action.

Quote:

3. Lay Land Mines

The idea laying a land mine was fairly clear though it states on the card and not in the rules that only a unit with no hits can lay a mine. The part we had a little bit of a problem was that if you lay mines in an enemies line of sight are they visible ?

No, as written, you can still lay it as hidden. That's a good question though, and perhaps that shouldn't be the case. I'll ask Uwe and Nick about it, and see what they say.

EDIT: I take that back. You have to be out of LOS of the enemy to lay hidden mines (this is explicit in the back of the manual where it describes the various cards.)
Quote:

Finally when using action cards you can only use them in your turn not as an opportunity action. Is this correct ? Any help would be most welcome.

An opportunity action is defined as taking any one action with an unused fresh unit, and then flipping that unit to its used/spent side. So no, an action card is not the same as an opportunity action. However, I'm not sure that answers your question. Whenever you can do an action, whether it's your activation or you're just reacting to your opponent, you can definitely use an action card.

If you have any more questions, please just let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Fort Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also make sure you download the latest version of the rules. There are a lot of changes/additions for the sake of clarity. You can get them here:

http://academy-games.com/index.php/rules-a-updates/rule-book...

For instance, "Action cards may be played by active or reacting players" was an addition to the rules and seems to answer your third question.

And, like Felkor said, the last page often has extended card text which helps clarify things a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
What about mark unit as used. I was playing with a friend (yes I know, hard to believe) and he used the add d6 AP on a stack of units.

I then played mark unit as used as a group action on his stack, Is this legal??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
What about mark unit as used. I was playing with a friend (yes I know, hard to believe) and he used the add d6 AP on a stack of units.

What your friend did was legal, what you did was, unfortunately, not. The mark unit as used card can only be played on a single unit. This is clarified in the newest version of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
ramkitty wrote:

What your friend did was legal, what you did was, unfortunately, not. The mark unit as used card can only be played on a single unit. This is clarified in the newest version of the rules.

I could play the card on the lmg unit in the group though therefore dissalowing it from participating in the group actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
Felkor wrote:
ramkitty wrote:

I could play the card on the lmg unit in the group though therefore dissalowing it from participating in the group actions?

Yes, you could still play the card on one of the units in the group. Playing it on a vehicle transporting a unit is particularly painful for you opponent, as now the transported unit is still fresh but would have to spend CAPs or a command action card to unload them to make any use of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.