Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SPOLER ALERT!

Went to see HP 6 on Wednesday, second showing at 10am.

The movie, while a visual treat, was vastly missing crucial pieces of information. Whilst I can understand that not every aspect of a book can be translated into a movie, the entire premise of the "half-blood prince" was left out.

In the book, Harry learned some of Snape's past by using the Dumbledore's Pensive. It turns out that during their own years at Hogwarts, Snape was in love with Lilly (Harry's mother), and was tortured mercilessly by Harry's father. The reader gains an understand from this why Snape hates Harry so much, and also why Snape called himself "Half-Blood Prince" - his shame of being half muggle-born.

The movie viewer only gains a slight peek at this fact when, as an afterthought, Snape mentions "Oh, you've been using my book".

I was very disappointed in this omission. The plot of Book 7 is completely wrapped Snape's past, and the reader understands the motivation behind Snape's actions in that final book. So I have no idea how much of a mess the 7th movie is going to be. I might skip the 7th movie altogether and wait for it on DVD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree: Having the titular Prince revealed in one throwaway line was crazy.

The worst thing about the movie was that it was boring. "Oh good. Another scene with the magical cabinet. Are you going to show me again what it does? Because I just didn't get it the first two times you showed me."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
They went for the funny, coming-of-age story. I missed the meatier parts of the book about Snape's past and the ever-worsening relationship between Harry and Snape. It was enjoyable, but the worst of the six movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst part is for the 7th book they're going to split it into 2 movies. It's time to wrap this baby up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
davestephens wrote:
Worst part is for the 7th book they're going to split it into 2 movies. It's time to wrap this baby up.
Agreed, shoot 'em both at once and get it over with already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
shoot 'em both at once and get it over with already.

You mean Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
shoot 'em both at once and get it over with already.

You mean Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint?
Radcliffe, I think Grint could be good in slapstick comedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
They went for the funny, coming-of-age story. I missed the meatier parts of the book about Snape's past and the ever-worsening relationship between Harry and Snape. It was enjoyable, but the worst of the six movies.

Which is a shame because it is my favorite of the books.

cold_fuzion wrote:
davestephens wrote:

That is what they are doing but they're splitting the release so we don't miss out on any of the exciting camping scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Ludocrazy wrote:

Which is a shame because it is my favorite of the books.

cold_fuzion wrote:
davestephens wrote:

That is what they are doing but they're splitting the release so we don't miss out on any of the exciting camping scenes.
Well you've GOT to have the 300 pages of camping. That's where all the action and plot development happened... oh wait... no it didn't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't believe they were splitting the last book into two parts. That book is the one that could most easily be edited down to fit in one movie!!

I haven't seen any of the movies yet, however. I love the books too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Which book had the multiple visits to the old town with Dumbledore taking Harry and showing him the graveyard. Wasn't that book 6? If so, that was omitted as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't a bad movie; it was a bad movie in relation to the source material. HBP is also my favorite book of the series and they gutted the history and character development of Voldemort and Snape, respectively. How hard would it have been to add an extra 10-15 minutes? Half the fun of the book was thinking that the HBP was Riddle, before discovering it was Snape at the end.

Also, while it was a funny movie this is one of the worst years ever at Hogwarts; everyone is paranoid and parents are taking their kids out left and right. Dumbledore isn't the trustworthy, shining headmaster in the eyes of the wizarding community anymore and muggles are dying. Instead of trying to portray this, the filmmakers decided it would be better to make everything a slapstick comedy about young love. WTF? Yeah it's in the book but that's not the only thing that's in the book.

I think this movie is characterized most by its missed opportunities. Even what they did show wasn't fleshed out: Harry's relation with the potions book didn't make a whole lot of sense, you never see any fallout from his duel with Malfoy and the cave could have used just a bit more exposition. Never explained Inferi or the bezoar either. And considering the horrendous execution the bridge scene should have been left out (just have them kidnap Olivander).

One more thing: Snape has waited years to become the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and we don't even get ONE SCENE of his class. Lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched HBP last night and I felt it was much lighter in tone than I expected. I did enjoy it but would have preferred it to be darker, with more background on Snape, Riddle and the horcruxes. There is a lot of background info missing which is key to Harry figuring out the horcruxes.

The bridge attack was silly and there seemed to be no real point to the attack on the Burrow either. I would rather have seen a more chaotic, emotional fight in Hogwarts as the Deatheaters escaped post-Dumbledore.

Definitely a fun watch but not what I was expecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We went to see it last night. I thought it was good, but not great.

They made some...interesting...choices with what they kept in and left out. They tore through some of the plot and spent too much time on other things. It seemed like all the interesting stuff that didn't have to do with The Big Three was chopped out. Because of this, a lot of the plot elements didn't make sense any more ("we went into all this effort to sneak into Hogwarts just to watch you kill Dumbledore" "by the way, I am the Half Blood Prince!")

I was also disappointed in that the movie version makes it look pretty obvious that Snape is a good guy -- I seem to remember it being a lot more ambiguous until late in book seven.

It will be interesting to see what deleted scenes are on the DVD. I'm curious to see if they bothered with some of the peripheral stuff and cut for time or if they decided early on to leave it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:

I was also disappointed in that the movie version makes it look pretty obvious that Snape is a good guy -- I seem to remember it being a lot more ambiguous until late in book seven.

I remember that as the huge discussion point while we were waiting for book 7 to come out: Was that really Snape who killed Dumbledore, or someone who had been polymorphed to look like Snape? If so, was Dumbledore really dead? I argued that Yes, it was Snape, and Yes, Dumbledore was really dead. His portrait wouldn't have appeared in the headmaster's office if he wasn't, so it must be real. So, why would Snape have used the A-K curse on Dumbledore, and why did Dumbledore seem to plead for it? Dumbledore always said he trusted Snape implicitly, so we were supposed to do the same, but man, that last scene on top of the tower sure made him look like a minion of evil.

Man, I thought our brains would fry thinking about all the possibilities while we waited for book 7.

Quote:

It will be interesting to see what deleted scenes are on the DVD. I'm curious to see if they bothered with some of the peripheral stuff and cut for time or if they decided early on to leave it out.

I'm hoping Warner offers an extended version for DVD. Watching the extended versions of the LotR movies on DVD was almost like watching completely different films, especially for the Fellowship -- so much that was left out of the theatrical release was put back in and the movie made so much more sense, even for someone like me who is really familiar with the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.