Popular Tags: [View All]
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread may not be what it might first appear to be. It is not about disasters which have happened during the course of playing wargames, but rather disasters which have happened to the wargames themselves. I offer a couple of examples from my own experiences.
Years ago when I was playing Rise and Decline of the Third Reich (1st edition) a friend of mine showed up while we were playing the game. He brought his drunken girlfriend with him. The drunken trollop looked at the game and slurred out the words, 'what ya doin'. We were polite and told her a bit about the game describing some of the various components. She leaned over the map to get a better look and dumped a large glass of peppermint schnapps all over the map, effectively drowning the Italian military and the Mediterranean Sea. We work feverishly to try and save the game while the drunken trollop giggled and slurred out something like, 'well their Italians, their supposed to be drunk'. Needless to say the game was ruined.
A second example happened a few years later when this same opponent and I were playing SPI's War between the States (first edition). We had taken a short break to get refreshments and snacks. One of my children had dashed out the door to play and let the cat in without paying much attention to it. The cat had just had a close encounter with a car and was injured. The injuries were not life threatening and the cat healed well enough. But he was bleeding. He climbed up on the game table and laid down on the map. He bled on Kansas and parts of Missouri. (giving a whole new meaning to the words 'Bloody Kansas') Fortunately we found it in time and saved the map, though it forever after did have traces of blood stain on the map.
These are just two examples of my own experiences. I'm sure most of us have similar stories to share. What was your disaster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a copy of VG's Vietnam that suffered through an Unrestricted Cat Scratching Campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenHR wrote:
Brand-new puppy. Large Cross of Iron scenario set up on the bedroom floor. Puppy unattended.

All of my SS counters have bite marks now....

English Bulldog?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I were in my finished basement playing a great game of War of the Ring when we decided to halt the battle for the afternoon.

Later in the evening, my oldest son who was about 4 years old at the time, decided to fix himself a cold glass of Crystal-Light pink lemonade when no one was watching. Of course, the 2-quart container immediately dropped from his hand and poured all over the kitchen floor, with most of it running back under the refrigerator.

I came across the disaster as soon as I heard the crash (and subsequent crying) and proceeded to mop up the mess. Realizing that the floor under the refrigerator needed to be cleaned, I moved the appliance and peered behind it... and that’s when a cold chill ran up my spine.

The pink liquid had pooled around the thin icemaker supply-line that ran through the floor from the basement. That line was directly above my War of the Ring!

I immediately raced downstairs to find that the lemonade had leaked between the drop-ceiling tiles and sprinkled all over the game. Now it had only been in contact with the board for a few moments, but that stuff was so freaking caustic that the paper was already peeling away from the mounted back.

I salvaged the plastic pieces, but the rest was placed into the trash can, like the Ring being tossed into Mt. Doom... Too bad really, because I was doing a helluva good job kicking my friends backside with the forces of Mordor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a perfect initial setup of A Most Dangerous Time with a sheet beside it saying "Please don't touch absolutely" for the maid.
I got back home finding the sheet ON the board with all the pieces messed around.
I hate my maid.
And she probably hates me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
1986. Brand new beagle puppy. Third Reich. Puppy pee.cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
xlhrider wrote:
The drunken trollop looked at the game and slurred out the words, 'what ya doin'.

"Drunken Trollop". Kudos for excellent use of the diminutive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cort naegelin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlitsKrieg and a 2 Quart Tea Pod. Bid Red is now Big Pink
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a rottweiler who was very intelligent. He would get jealous of anything I would spend time with (other than him). Once I was reading a scifi paperback, and he came up with the ball wanting to play fetch. I told him "LEAVE ME ALONE!", and he glared at the book I had in my hands, and sulked away.

The next day, I come home from work, and the paperback book was in shreds all over the room.

Then some time after, I had setup GDW's Stand And Die, and I had to yell at him a few times to leave me alone as I played some turns, when I was trying to learn the system. Afterwards I packed up the game and put it back on the shelf.

I come home from work the next day, and Stand And Die is in pieces all over the house. Just that one game. He didn't pull any other games off the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my cats once got jealous of my copy of NATO, Nukes & Nazis and urinated on it. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just after I got Enemy at the Gates, I took a lunch break while reading the rules. For some stupid reason I set the rules near the cutting board - I seem to recall saying something like "well, I have never cut myself slicing bread" to myself. Naturally I nearly cut off the side off my finger and bled all over the rules (and the counter, floor, sink, etc.).

I suppose this does not really count since I still have the finger, and the knife and was able to get replacement rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Within 10 minutes of removing my brand new copy of Combat Commander: Europe from its shipping box and opening it up, my cat jumped in the box and peed all over ALL of of the game components when I went to get something to drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I'm a dog person.

We spilled a beer on my Conflict of Hero's. Those boards do NOT like liquids. We still drink and play, just more carefully now. I'm much more anal about greasy snacks in the hands of opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
patgarret77 wrote:
Had a perfect initial setup of A Most Dangerous Time with a sheet beside it saying "Please don't touch absolutely" for the maid.
I got back home finding the sheet ON the board with all the pieces messed around.
I hate my maid.

She's STILL your maid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I discovered counter trays, I had been keeping my Squad Leader counters neatly sorted in a 60-drawer tool/bit case. Everything was neatly organized, and each tray was labled for easy identification.

One day, some of us were getting together for a major battle, I was asked to bring my counters along, because we were going to need that many pieces.

On the ride over, my friend and I got in a minor traffic collision. The car was okay. We were fine. But the sudden stop rolled my cabinet over. When it finally came to my mind to think about my counters, several thousand pieces were scattered throughout my friend's trunk.

Most of my punched wargames now are sorted in counter trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha, similar situation during a diplomacy game. Some drunk guy was given control of France and the only coherent thing that he was "We're going to war!" Let's just say that France was totally crushed in three turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter spilled a glass of milk on my copy of Battle for Hoth. I should have just washed he sippy cup, but I thought she'd be OK with a regular cup as long as I watched her. And I did...I watched her spill is right on my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

On the ride over, my friend and I got in a minor traffic collision....

Not to make light of your experience, but: at least they were counters.

Last month, I was on my way to a Flames of War league game when I got into a fender bender. Long story short: no one was injured, which is obviously the most important thing. But, when I opened the toolbox holding my army (I magnetize everything and use a steel toolbox for transport), I literally wanted to weep.

I thought I was out of the hobby, frankly. In the end though, I've managed to salvage pretty much everything, at least to the point of gaming with it. Almost all of my T-34s are modeled with some kind of "battle damage" now, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one related to me from a long time gaming associate of mine. He and his brother were playing a game of World in Flames. As anyone who has played this game knows, when you build air units they are chosen at random from the units in the available units force pool. So they were using a coffee cup to do this. After a production cycle they retired for the evening.
The next day after work they returned to the game but couldn't find the coffee cup with the units. They asked their mother if she knew anything about it and with a guilty look she responded that she had gone into the room to get the cups and glasses and didn't realize there were things in the cup until she saw the counters floating in the sink full of soapy dishwater.
Needless to say my friend was quite upset. It didn't help matters when his little sister laughed and said, "It probably would have been ok if they had been boats".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the midst of a marathon session ofRise and Decline of the Third Reich my back was sore from being hunched over the gameboard for a couple hours.
I stood up and stretched, with my left arm waaay up... +
Metal bladed ceiling fan set on "DC-3"=
blood spattered map+
trip to ER

P.S. I got better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago my brother and I were playing Drang Nach Osten! /Unentschieden on a pingpong table at my parents house. We had been playing for a very long time (months?) it was late summer 43' in game time and we were really enjoying ourselves. My father came by to get something while we were playing one afternoon and bumped the table, one of the legs was loose and the whole table crashed to the floor! We were not happy with dad!
A couple years later I was playing The Next War on the very same pingpong table which was setup on a glassed in porch at my parents. I hadn't been over for about a week and stopped by. The roof had leaked during a storm and totally ruined the game.
I never played another game on that pingpong table and I never played a game at mom and dads again! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overflowing toilet upstairs. Paths of Glory set up on a table in the basement. Traded it away.

edit: traded with full disclosure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
patgarret77 wrote:
I hate my maid.

She's STILL your maid?

Good help is hard to find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brand new "Paths of Glory" game. My usual gaming location, the dining room table, was unavailable because we had guests coming over for supper that evening. So, wanting to check my new game out, I unfolded the map and set it up on the floor of the guest bedroom/library. The floor had a thick pile carpet, so there was a lot of springy play to it, but since I wasn't going to play it -- just push a few pieces around while trying to learn the system, it was my first CDG -- I didn't think it would present a problem. After an hour or so, the wife sends me on an emergency run to the grocery store to pick up some ingredient she needs for the dish she's preparing for supper. Off I go, forgetting to shut the door to the guestroom/library... I actually paused as I was backing out of the garage, thinking "I ought to go back in and shut the door," but dismissed the idea since I'd only be gone for 5-10 minutes, tops...

When I get back, I find that the dog (70 pound Irish Setter) has decided that my new game map is the perfect place to take a nap. And before he lies down he, like always, has instinctively stomped around in a circle a couple times to "flatten the grass." End result: lots of nice paw-shaped holes torn in the map.

Sigh. Can't blame the dog -- I *KNEW* I shoulda shut the freakin' door!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let me just say that having owned a cat when I lived with my wargaming housemates: any unattended game + cat = addition to this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.