Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Theme question. What's the UPLIFT race's story?

1) Players governments uplift them, allowing them to become citizens (certainly not first-class citizens in the case of New Sparta)

2) ALIEN Overlords uplifted them, then left them stranded without interstellar travel, to have a tidepool civilization, aka civilization-in-a-bottle (much like humans are currently stranded in the solar system).

3) some combination of the above

At the very least, we can be sure that #1 is not the case for "The last of the Uplift Grnaash".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 2 is pretty much confirmed by the blurb in the R vs I rulebook. Something about "former servitor races"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book for the original game states
Quote:
Story background inspired by: Frederik Pohl and David Brin.

David Brin wrote a series of books set in the "Uplift Universe." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplift_Universe for more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehnmann has however said that he has taken the basic Uplift idea and developed it in quite a different direction for the books.

If you don't believe blurbs, take a look at "Abandoned Alien Uplift Camp" and "Alien Uplift Center", both from the 2nd expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
BadMagic wrote:
The rule book for the original game states
Quote:
Story background inspired by: Frederik Pohl and David Brin.

David Brin wrote a series of books set in the "Uplift Universe." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplift_Universe for more information.

Two series, actually. The first series are three books set in the same universe, but they each stand on their own. The second series is a three-volume novel. Do read "Startide Rising", the second book in the first series. Intelligent action-packed SF, one of the best SF reads that you can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't assume that they were all Uplifted by the same race.

Of course, all of the "Alien" worlds might not be the same race, either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought i read somewhere on these forums that they were uplifted by the aliens. I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The ALIEN Overlords seem somehow more hands-on than the Fabled Progenitors of Brin.

I'm pretty sure ALIEN stuff is not any old alien race, but the ALIEN Overlord race. They were either the first sentient race in the galaxy, or the one to cover up all traces of the previous civilisations they superseded.

Then we have two classes of sentient life forms:
1) Former client races: Avian UPLIFT Race and so forth
2) Independently evolved races: Ancient Race, WEBEL Warrior Wace, the Ewoks, the Lost Species (Ark World), Pre Sentient Race.

I'm not sure if humans are the "Mammalian UPLIFT Race" of category #1, or the wolflings of #2. There sure do seem to be a lot of humans, though! I'm not sure why that is. I guess they got hyperdrive and kept it from the other species, but that seems odd, because the card art shows racially integrated societies. If even the Star Nomads can get their mitts on a FTL drive, then surely Ancient Race has had time to throw a sleeper ship together in all this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They were uplifted by the Otisites. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.