Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for Start Empire say you place 1 or 2 armies. If there are other armies present, the rules say to follow the fight rules (which must mean the Expand Empire / Invade an Area action). However, these rules say to place only a single army if you defeat the other armies. So are you limited to 1 army when starting an empire in an area with other armies, or are you allowed to place 1 or 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had this situation come up, but I would play that you may only place 1 army, just as if you were invading an area.

I'm not sure if you have actually played the game, but in my limited experience, the decision to place one or two armies is a rare one. Placing one army is almost always the best choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet. I just bought the game from Martin's recent find of a few copies in the warehouse. It seems like a viable tactic would be to start the first empire and block the starting points for the other empires. Then they would have to fight their way in. Of course, doing so would allow the other players to equip their armies better, so the balance here is very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I played that it counted as an invasion, so just one army after you've killed off any others.

As for the tactic you thought of... I don't think it will work in practice. It takes quite a while for your armies to reach another place unless you use the repeat action, and that'll cost you more than is to be gained from occupying territory where other empires appear on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that there is very little gain in blocking an incoming army. There are much better things to do, such as gain control of areas for VPs, block trading, or destroy cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.