Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own neither, nor have I played on of them. Most likely I'll only buy one of those two. Which one would you suggest: Dominion, since it is the original, or Intrigue, since it already fixes some of Dominions failures shortcomings, i.e. provides more interaction?

Thanks for your opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schaub
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i prefer Dominion Intrigueas a standalone sinve the cards have more depth and interactions. The standalone game is best for traching newer players since most of the cards have cut and dry abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Failures??

It sounds like you have a pretty definite opinion about what you like already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Failures??

I think I'ld prefer Intrigue IF it is really that much more interactive. I already read some comments to the contrary - not the Intrigue has less interaction, but not really that much more, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Failures??

I have to agree David! The OP sounds like he is going to go buy one of them (begrudgingly, because it SUCKS), play it about 2 times (begrudgingly, because it SUCKS) trade it (happily because it sucks), then come here and post how much it SUCKS.

I'm not sure why people force themselves to buy a game they have no interest in. There are tons of wargamers here, and a few in my gaming circles. But you know what? No matter how good they tell me some hex-based WW2 game is, I won't buy it. I'd end up like the OP, buying it, hating it, and griping.

To the original poster - just play with friends - there is no reason to spend hard-earned money on a game you think you won't like! If you end up enjoying the game buy it. Don't just buy it because there is this "buzz" around it -- the buzz won't help you enjoy it. The game itself, if you give it a chance, might win you over though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I ask for an opinion about a game, and I get a Psychoanalysis of myself. Really helpful, thanks.
If you don't have to say anything about the differences, player-friendlieness and interaction of Dominion or D:INtrigue, perhaps you shouldn't post on this thread at all...

A game can be fun to a person without him feeling the need to buy every expansion. I just wanted to know which of the two available versions to prefer, since none of them is an expansions, but both are stand-alone games; and why I should prefer one.
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing personal mate

It's just that you started out by asking about a game that you say you've never played, but then in the next breath you denegrate the game talking about its "failures" and its "shortcomings". Your bias wasn't hidden very well.

As for an opinion on which you should get - I'd say get the base set. It's actions are a bit more basic, but even after several hundred plays, I'd sit down right now and have a game if someone asked. As described elsewhere on BGG, I think the Intrigue expansion is a nice "refresher". Fine by itself, but a nice refresher to the base game is probably more how I feel about it.

HOpe you have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

Dominion:Base is the vocabulary to learn the game.
Dominion:Intrigue changes things up and starts changing some elements around.

Base can feel like multiplayer solitaire, but some of the biggest complaints about Intrigue have been targeting those cards which add direct interaction in the form of screwing with other players' decks.

You'll want both eventually - I'd recommend getting Base first so you can learn the vocabulary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue is the better stand alone game. It has more variety, more interaction. In vanilla Dominion, many cards seem similar. In Intrigue, the difference is more striking. I agree that, if you like the game, you will eventually want both. But, otherwise, Intrigue will take you farther.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

For Eurogamers: Dominion.
For Amertrashers: Dominion:Intrigue.

I'm not sure what sort of "interaction" folks are looking for, but D:I interaction is a bar room fight. You're not taking the plow this turn so no one else can have it, you're taking the plow, swinging it around, and seeing how many farmers you can smack with it.

Zombie farmers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Whittey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The main difference I've noticed between the two is that Intrigue takes about four times as long to play. There are two main reasons for this: a) is takes longer just to figure out what is possible with your hand, and b) other people are busy breaking your deck.

Intrigue is not so much more interactive as more chaotic, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
singingdragon wrote:

That sounds like pretty much as intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Frank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, they almost seem like different games when played standalone.

Dominion feels like a pure deckbuilding game. One of the "shortcomings" to which you refer is probably that your hand plays itself. I don't consider this bad at all--it puts the focus squarely on the deckbuilding aspect. Player interaction is definitely low and usually indirect; it's a race to see who can build an effective deck quickly.

Dominion: Intrigue feels more like a conventional cardgame that happens to have a deckbuilding element. The flow of the game is different. There is much more emphasis on the play of the cards in your hand. There is more interaction in terms of affecting your opponents' decks, but not much by way of direct conflict.

I prefer Dominion for a standalone game because the race-to-build-a-deck seems to flow better. I think Intrigue is a terrific expansion but a so-so standalone game. Having played Dominion, Intrigue was a must-buy. If I had played Intrigue first, I might have passed on Dominion.

As a semi-unrelated recommendation, if you are looking for a card game with a lot of conflict and player interaction, try Roma. It uses dice to determine which card you can play in a manner similar to Kingsburg, which I see you rate highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
singingdragon wrote:
The main difference I've noticed between the two is that Intrigue takes about four times as long to play. There are two main reasons for this: a) is takes longer just to figure out what is possible with your hand, and b) other people are busy breaking your deck.

I've found that once everyone gets used to the cards, the games speeds up considerably. It's still longer than just the base game, but not extremely so. Even with Intrigue, most of the decisions wind up being pretty straightforward, so it's only the occasional conundrum that slows you down.

Quote:

The base game was intentionally made less interactive/chaotic than the game system as a whole (including all the expansions that have been designed but not developed yet), so that there could be a way to ease into the system, and so that the most straightforward cards would always be available when combined with future expansions. This suggests to me that Dominion is a better starting point than Dominion: Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would say that I would probably prefer Dominion: Intrigue for a standalone game. The strategies in the original game after many plays seems all too similar, mainly getting eight coins as fast and as consistent as possible (at least when garden is not in play). In Dominion: Intrigue there are many other possibilities gain enough victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Dominion:Base is the vocabulary to learn the game.
Dominion:Intrigue changes things up and starts changing some elements around.(...)
You'll want both eventually

Right.
I learned Dominion with the base set and now bought Intrigue to expand the possibilities.
Idon't own the base set, but I'll buy it as soon as I can, because certain cards of the base set are (in my opinion) so good (e.g. Witch or Gardens) that you just want to have the option to use them.

Start with the base set, and if you like it, expand it with Intrigue. If you don't like it, well... it's game of the year, so it wont be a bis problem to sell it on Ebay for a good price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Intrigue better. Everything's dependent on which cards are in play, of course, but Intrigue seems a little more interactive. More significantly, it introduces more choices during play (even when it's not your turn), which was one of my biggest issues with the base game.

Because of the choices, it feels like there are more ways to mitigate a weird or bad hand, and it also removes some of the "front-loaded" aspect of the base game (where the critical decisions are all made very early, and then you just see how it plays out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.