18 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Handling loyalty card reading with new players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got my first five player game of BSG scheduled for Sunday, but I have one concern. The "You are not a cylon cards" have very little text while the "You are a cylon" cards have a lot. Whoever is reading their card the longest is a cylon.

How have others handled this? Have everyone memorise the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, we just set a designated time span that everyone stares at their loyalty card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As other said here - I told everyone to look at their cards for 30 seconds no matter what it said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken to (especially with new players present) actually sending people scattered into different rooms, out in the hallway, etc. Everyone reads their card for a good 10-20 seconds, composes themselves if necessary, thinks about strategy for a moment, and doesn't have to worry about anyone else trying to read their reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just went through the four cylon cards at the start of the game, while explaining the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pass out the loyalty cards and everyone looks at them on the count of three. Anyone who is still looking at their cards 5 seconds later gets marched to the airlock.

P.S. Humans almost always win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentzen wrote:
I've taken to (especially with new players present) actually sending people scattered into different rooms, out in the hallway, etc. Everyone reads their card for a good 10-20 seconds, composes themselves if necessary, thinks about strategy for a moment, and doesn't have to worry about anyone else trying to read their reaction.

Good idea... Especially because sneaky players like me sneak looks at the rest of the table while I am supposed to be reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently we had a new player and she ended up as the Cylon. I felt bad because it was obvious that she was reading so long, so I started staring at my card to maybe get everyone else to second guess themselves.
Turns out, I was pegged as the Cylon and kept in the brig for a lot of the game. We humans lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackBeckman wrote:
As other said here - I told everyone to look at their cards for 30 seconds no matter what it said.

Same here.... most times 30 seconds is plenty time to read the cards. A lot of times after giving ample time for everyone to "read" someone usually just asks if everyone is done reading.

I've played enough times to know which cylon cards do what upon revealing, but I used to not read them until I can discretely take my time reading while everyone else is distracted by a skill check or whatnot. I think my friends have gotten used to the fact that I take a couple looks at my loyalty card throughout the game [i encourage everyone to remind themselves to do so]. At the very least it makes everyone keep their edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the 30 second rule too (or pick your own time but at least 10 is probably good especially for a newbie)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just send people around with their cards as well, just have them take their character card too. If they keep the loyalty card on top of the character card text, you can't see if they're reading the character or the loyalty card. Or just drooling over Starbuck's picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered this but was worried that you'd notice whether eyes or moving or not, even if you were trying not to.

I like the idea of handing cards out with characters, that seems a good way to keep things moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end I got everyone to turn around to read their card for a fixed period of twenty seconds.

Cylons won

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After running into this issue in our first play last night, my suggestion was to pass the Cylon and Sympathizer cards around in advance allowing each person to read them and ask questions as a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Dreams
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I explain the rules for clyons with new players, then explain the 'trap' that people can fall into here by card manipulation (like someone putting it down late etc).

So everyone knows what the tell I am trying to avoid is. Then we do a 'stare fixedly for 20 seconds' while I count aloud (which prevents people from butting in). In the second game I cut it to 15 seconds, and then I cut it to 10. When it's the 'regulars' play we do 5-10 seconds depending on how tired we are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
we made a point of setting out all the loyatly cards so EVERYONE can read ALL OF THEM.
then once all the newbies have an idea of what the cards do and have asked any quesitons, we deal out the cards, with the 30 second stare rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.