Subject: The most brutal Dominion game I've ever played. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Dickash
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
My local gaming store has a board game club night every Wednesday night. To no one's surprise, Intrigue was the hot game this week. Excited to play the new cards and play with a larger group, 5 of us gathered for what would become the most intense and brutal game any of us had ever played.

The players:
Billy
Meyer
Chris
Tommy
and Myself

The ten randomly-chosen Kingdoms:
Pawn
Masquerade
Village
Wishing Well
Swindler
Torturer
Mine
Minion
Baron
Conspirator

At first, we were just happy to get so many Intrigue cards. Then we were horrified to realize how many vicious cards there were with no reaction cards in sight. The viciousness started early, as Meyer bought the first Torturer. The game progressed slowly, with me buying the first Province but very few others going. The torturing usually saw people discarding, but a few people, myself included, chose to take Curses instead when we had especially good hands. Chris bought the first Swindler, and people kept losing Coppers and gaining Curses from it. Deciding that I'd had enough Curses, I bought the first Masquerade. The whole game consisted of us all getting cursed and passing cards around. This usually just resulted in Curses being passed to each other, but there was one particular turn where I only had a Gold, Torturer, and Pawn in my hand when someone else played the Masquerade. We even had a moment where Meyer chose to discard cards three times from Torturers, since even though that left him with no hand, it meant he wasn't getting any Curses. Unfortunately for him, though, a Masquerade went down before his turn, and he was passed a Curse.

Very few Provinces were bought, and the Village, Pawn, and Estate decks had run dry. It got to Meyer's turn, and he played a Masquerade. This upset Billy, who was sitting to my right, quite a bit, as the only card he had left in his hand was a Swindler. He passed that to me, and that one card was enough to push me up to get another Province on my turn. The game ended on the next turn as Chris bought the last Swindler.

The final scores:

Billy: 15
Meyer: 9
Chris: 12
Tommy: 7
Me: 18

I'd never had such a low-scoring game before, and I was ecstatic when I realized that getting that Swindler passed to me and picking up that Province just before the game ended was what pushed me over the top. It was a really great game, and we were all amazed at how insane and brutal the game was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in a game of undisclosed cards that had a high score of either 3 or 5. Low score was -2 or -3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: if the Village, Pawn, and Estate decks were depleted, shouldn't the game have been ended at that time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldfan wrote:
Question: if the Village, Pawn, and Estate decks were depleted, shouldn't the game have been ended at that time?

ERock wrote:
Excited to play the new cards and play with a larger group, 5 of us gathered for what would become the most intense and brutal game any of us had ever played.

5-6 players: 4 stacks depleted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like one of our first Intrigue games. Torturer and Masquerade together make for some fun times. You had to guess whether or not a Masquerade was imminent when deciding what to do with Torturer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks. I didn't read the rules when I played last night (3-player) and wasn't aware of the player number expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hoekstra
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing with my group, who plays every Tuesday.

The group next to us had a particularly brutal game, ending up with a winning score of 4, and a runner-up of 2.

With torturer, its important to remember that there are other ways to deal with the curses, since they go into your hand, not your discard pile. I found a very successful anti-Torturer strategy is to pick up trading posts. When I had one in my hand, I would pick up 2 curses and immediately turn them in for a silver. This meant that not only was I ahead on the curse game (since everyone picked up Torturer), I got free silvers out of it.

I imagine you could do the same things with Chapels as well, and more easily than if you were cursed by a witch.

But yes, this version is very, very nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Perry
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opposite experiece last night with my first game of Intrigue. We played with the first default set of cards listed in the rules for Intrigue, so it had all the combo Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure cards - Duke, Nobles, Harem, and Great Hall.

I went straight for the Dukes&Duchy's strategy, and bought lots of Great Halls & Harems as well.

I ended up scoring 93 points!!! (63 of them on Dukes & Duchys)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
My gaming club has had at least one winning score that was in the negatives. If everyone goes Witch early, it cripples everyone's deck while emptying 1 stack. If you have something like Village out as well, the 3 stack condition can trigger very early.

Course, Swindler and Torturer can be even nastier. A cheap method of turning copper to curses, and a card that can outright deplete hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlee Dise
United States
Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game that had both the Witch and the Swindler and won with 1 point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LibMats wrote:
I ended up scoring 93 points!!! (63 of them on Dukes & Duchys)

LOL. So, let's assume they let you have 9 dutchies and 4 dukes. What were your opponents doing? They must have fallen asleep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wodan46 wrote:

Course, Swindler and Torturer can be even nastier. A cheap method of turning copper to curses, and a card that can outright deplete hands.

Last night one player in a game that included great hall, throne room, and tortuerer, one of my friends got six (6!) extra turns, because he would chain throne room great halls and torturers, and his strategy started when the game was nearing an end, so people didnt want to pick up curses.

At one point he got 3 turns in a row because everyone had to discard their hands during his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This upset Billy, who was sitting to my right

Pretty obviously playing armchair quarterback, but it seems that Billy (and Meyer) didn't notice how nastily Masquerade was becoming because of the other cards. I have a devil of a time keeping track of what sort of deck each player in the game is creating, but, with Masquerade, you *really* need to keep an eye on how the player to the right is playing.

Er... what Myke said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon George
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geekgirl1001000 wrote:
I just played a game that had both the Witch and the Swindler and won with 1 point.

Wow, you've got me beat. I won a 5-player game tonight with Witch, Torturer, and Swindler with 5 points. There were Moats though, the scores probably would have been all negative without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
ERock wrote:
The ten randomly-chosen Kingdoms:
Pawn
Masquerade
Village
Wishing Well
Swindler
Torturer
Mine
Minion
Baron
Conspirator

Thanks for the suggestion, we played this set today as a 3-player set, and yes, it was brutal. Hardly anyone bought the Conspirator, but the combination or Swindler, Minion, Torturer and Masquerade cause pure havoc. You simply couldn't ever be certain of retaining your hand at all.

It was immense fun, with final scores of: 39, 38 & 26.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel P

Alaska
msg tools
Just for fun, we played a game last night with all 9 attack cards + Throne Room. (In the future this might be Masquerade... which really should be an Attack)

I won with a grand total of 8 points. Brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Fluharty
United States
Pace
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Intrigue for the first time last night and the game had the Masquerade, the Torturer, and the Saboteur (luckily there was the secret chamber). I think the Masquerade is especially nasty because it doesn’t count as an attack. I learned that the Torturer played right before the Masquerade is a painful combo when the other players choose to discard their fluff and have to then pass around the cards they so carefully thought were safe devil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.