State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading the online directions at ZMan's website and it said:
Quote:
Go to the Z-Man Games Web site at www.zmangames.com
for more optional rules such as the Storytelling Variant,
the Solitaire Variant, and the Merchant Variant!

But, I have looked through the website and don't see these variants listed or explained. Any insight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I heard they will be released; but are currently still in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The merchant variant is played on its own board and requires you to travel from city to city and build trade routes in order to increase your wealth; you win if you reach the highest wealth level.

The storytelling variant is pretty much just role-playing on top of the normal game, if I recall correctly.

Solitaire... should be possible already, if you just read the book to yourself. Not very interesting, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the merchant variant - something to actually do in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:
Looking forward to the merchant variant - something to actually do in the game!

Yup. When having fun just isn't enough.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the merchant variant. It gives you short term goals and a reason to roam about the map. You still get all the encounters and stuff, but on top of that, you try to maximize your profits linking cities in the best possible ways. It's also kind of a puzzle with all the arrows, so that adds to the fun (unless you're AP prone...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
gschmidl wrote:
Solitaire... should be possible already, if you just read the book to yourself. Not very interesting, though.

Problem with that is that you can see what happens to you depending on what skill you use in an encounter. I guess it's not a big deal. Usually you don't have an option of more than one different skill, and usually you want to use skills if you have them I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

Problem with that is that you can see what happens to you depending on what skill you use in an encounter. I guess it's not a big deal. Usually you don't have an option of more than one different skill, and usually you want to use skills if you have them I think.

I thought you were forced to use the first skill you got from the list of options... could be wrong though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Trosper
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
maka wrote:
I thought you were forced to use the first skill you got from the list of options... could be wrong though...
Only if it's marked "(mandatory)". And sometimes it's not the first one that's marked.

I note that the Storytelling and Solitaire variants are up. (So far I've been able to play only Solitaire, but I do enjoy that.) Along with a Character Interaction (aka PvP for Player vs. Player) version.

However, what I want to know, nearly a year later, is when the Merchant Variant, promised in the Book of Rules, is expected--if ever. I can see it would need a good deal of graphics production, but I wonder whether that means it's delayed or canceled?

LATER: From the "Variants up on Z-Man site" thread:
Zman wrote:
Merchant variant will be long in coming but I am working on them.
Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
OH-kay. Too bad Patience isn't a Skill you can pick up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original version had goods printed at locations on the board, and separate route chits to pplace on the merchant board.

I wonder if it would have to be released as an expansion pack rather than just as a download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
The original version had goods printed at locations on the board, and separate route chits to pplace on the merchant board.

I wonder if it would have to be released as an expansion pack rather than just as a download.

Looks like this will have to be fan made
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.