Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Race [+] the [+] Galaxy [+] for [+] [View All]
Ryan Peterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy

I have played ~15 games of Race for the Galaxy now, and I find it to be a great game. However we have invoked some House Rules to what we think makes the game more fun:

-Requires 15 cards on table to end the game.
-Use all 5pt + 3pt expansion goal tiles instead of the 2 & 3 tiles randomly.
-No limit on VP chip accumulation during game.
-If you don't like the home planet you drew you may discard and pick 1 more time. (this was implemented in latest X-pac)

I was just wondering from those more experienced than myself that if these rules upset the balance of the game too much in some way that I'm not aware of. It would seem that 12 cards on table to end the game is just too short. Just when things get going the game ends. Also, why limit the VP goal tiles to just 2 & 3? Why not put them all out there and have lots of options?

Do any of you play with your own House Rules to make the game more fun? What are they?

Thanks for your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunbar
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanpeterson wrote:
Race for the Galaxy

I have played ~15 games of Race for the Galaxy now, and I find it to be a great game. However we have invoked some House Rules to what we think makes the game more fun:

-If you don't like the home planet you drew you may discard and pick 1 more time. (this was implemented in latest X-pac)

I was just wondering from those more experienced than myself that if these rules upset the balance of the game too much in some way that I'm not aware of. It would seem that 12 cards on table to end the game is just too short. Just when things get going the game ends. Also, why limit the VP goal tiles to just 2 & 3? Why not put them all out there and have lots of options?

Do any of you play with your own House Rules to make the game more fun? What are they?

Thanks for your feedback!

While I'm sure there are many on here that will tell you it breaks the game - which it very well could - if your changes make the game more enjoyable for the group, then I say go for it! If everyone you play with agrees with the changes, and if, over several plays, you still think the changes are still working for you, that's all that matters.

That being said, if you ever play RftG outside of your group, like at a con or something, you may have a hard time adjusting back to the official rules. Also, if you start teaching the game this way to newbies that may go and play the game outside of the group, they may be a little ticked that they didn't learn it the official way.

Anyway...to each his own. Have fun with it...great game!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as the other Chris (nee HenryFatass) said, if your group enjoys it, the RFTG police are not going to stop you. I think the problem with these changes would be that the produce/consume strategy would become completely dominant. With 15 cards and no VP limit, it shouldn't be hard for a good draw to start cranking out a couple 20 point turns, and it's going to be nearly impossible to compete with that.

Personally, I like that race is short. It makes it feel more like, well, a race. If I want to play a longer game where I get to build an engine and crank it, I pull out Puerto Rico and Le Havre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Engels
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also anticipate that produce/consumeX2 strategies will have the advantage, because in later turns it yields huge VP numbers (10-12 every two turns maybe?) while simultaneously leeching VPs in the other phases by playing devs & planets. You'll have to give it a try and report back, maybe this is wrong.

Oh, and if you ALL choose a produce/consume strategy I want to hear what your VP counts get to and how the end game looks!! Everyone may kick into a product/consume race and not choose any other phases out of fear of being left behind by someone else's consumeX2 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, it's up to you. I sure wouldn't do that though, unless you change something else as well (see my 3rd point).

Interesting... takes some luck out. I might like this. Certainly leads to higher scores.

So do your produce/consume 2x strategies end when someone gives up? If everyone just does this, the game will never end.

Adding 15 chips per player instead of 12 per player would be a logical step without causing infinite games, and matches with your first rule.

It'll probably make the game more fun, short term. You'll get grumpy when you pick up a new start world that you still don't like however. I feel like you're much better off in the long run just playing what you have, but this is quite reasonable to throw in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Peterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the replies. In our most recent game I got New Sparta and decided to go military. I could see that my 2 opponents were going for the produce/consume strategy, but I was lucky and got that card which lets you settle 2 worlds in one phase. I played that and made it my goal to settle as many military worlds as I could to end the game before they consumed their way to victory. I ended up with 15 cards while they had ~8-9 on their tables. I had ~66 VP, and they were ~35VP. Granted we are all novices, so unbalancing the game a bit may not make a difference for us.

Maybe once we are more experienced we'll discover that the military strategies can't keep up. Now I want to play a 6-player game with the new X-pac as most of our games involve 3 people. Time to convince my family to switch from Settlers to RFtG.

We have had maybe one or two games where the other players decided to just concede because one person was raking in way too many VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Peterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AAR of recent game...
Last night we played a 3-player game with our house rules. We have both X-pacs. I went all military while the other two went for a produce/consume strategy. At the end of the game the final scores were I had 105, 2nd place had 83, 3rd place was ~45.

I only had 1 production planet on my table of 17 cards. The reason it took 17 cards to end the game was because I had Rebel Fortress which increased the game-end from 12 to 14. Well for us it increased it from 15 to 17. I had a bunch of rebel worlds and many multipliers for victory points on those worlds which added up to big points in the end. I received bonus points for each military world, for each rebel world, for each world etc. The multipliers from 3 6pt development cards boosted me way in the lead.

During the game I knew they were going to predictably be using produce/consume. Since I started with the Rebel Cantina the rebel worlds gave me cards whenever they produced. I also got a development card which gives me cards for each military world I own, so for each produce phase I received upwards of 12 cards. This thwarted their strategy, so that they didn't want to produce anymore.

At any rate, at our level of play the military strategy is very viable even though the games last a lot longer with the game end variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Mateos Maroto
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one homerule that we use in our games is use "Glass counters" (like the usually "Magic CCG" counters) for signal the goods in the planets instead of other cards.

All other rules still apply, but eliminate the possibility that a card does not ever appear because of a good specifically was never consummated.

It is a nonsense, but we like it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.