Subject: The Wizard is up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look herehttp://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=665

It has a few more hints at the system too (potions) and has the appearance of being more powerful than the cleric.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules question.

Quote:
The first offensive skill, called “Destruction,” allows the Wizard to destroy a target Artifact of an opponent’s hero by giving up all Lore rolled. Like the Rogue who can also target Artifacts, this power can be devastating early on.

The second offensive skill, called “Ball Lightning,” is a quick favorite of mine. In melee, the Wizard hero can cause hits with each Lore result rolled with this skill. Coupled with the fact that this is the prerequisite skill for “Lightning Arc” that allows the Wizard to share this ability with a friendly adjacent unit and you have a good first or second choice skill.

The full text on both of these cards (available in the article) say "use all Lore rolled" to do something: in the first case, destroy an enemy Artifact; in the second case, score a hit.

The above text makes it sound like the first skill uses up all lore to destory a single artifact, while the second scores one hit per lore rolled. However, the text of the skills is the same -- there's no indication of that distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Rules question. :)

Quote:
The first offensive skill, called “Destruction,” allows the Wizard to destroy a target Artifact of an opponent’s hero by giving up all Lore rolled. Like the Rogue who can also target Artifacts, this power can be devastating early on.

The second offensive skill, called “Ball Lightning,” is a quick favorite of mine. In melee, the Wizard hero can cause hits with each Lore result rolled with this skill. Coupled with the fact that this is the prerequisite skill for “Lightning Arc” that allows the Wizard to share this ability with a friendly adjacent unit and you have a good first or second choice skill.

The full text on both of these cards (available in the article) say "use all Lore rolled" to do something: in the first case, destroy an enemy Artifact; in the second case, score a hit.

The above text makes it sound like the first skill uses up all lore to destory a single artifact, while the second scores one hit per lore rolled. However, the text of the skills is the same -- there's no indication of that distinction.

Ball Lightning makes sense to me. Basically it allows any Lore rolled by the wizard in battle to be considered a hit. You would not get lore tokens for these lore rolls.

Destruction is a bit more confusing but I think it means that if you roll at least two lore during a battle with another hero then the opposing hero loses one artifact. You do not collect any lore tokens for any lore rolled during this battle with the opposing hero as all lore rolled count toward destroying that artifact.

I would hope the wizard gets to choose which artifact is detroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
galfridus wrote:
Rules question.

Quote:

Seems straight forward to me. With Destruction, you use up all Lore to destory a single Artifact. You must roll at least 2 Lore though.

Ball Lighting says you must use up all Lore to make a single hit. It doesn't matter how many Lore you roll (as long as you roll 1), you are only going to score 1 hit.

i think the point of this text is that if you "use all Lore symbols rolled" then you aren't collecting Lore for your Lore cup. So the trade off is either do the effect on the card for a bonus, or collect Lore for your Spells.

I don't think Ball Lighting is saying you score a hit for every Lore rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And looking at your quote, it looks like the text was changed. it now says...

Quote:
In melee, the Wizard hero can cause a hit with Lore results rolled with this skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dyke
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to Galfridus, if you read the Skill card text literally:
Destruction uses "all" Lore rolled, if at least 2 Lore have been rolled, to destroy one artifact of the enemy Hero with whom you are engaged in melee combat. Despite the FFG writeup saying the Wizard can then destroy a "target artifact", the card text doesn't make that distinction so I think it'll likely be choice of the losing Hero as to which artifact to discard.

Ball Lightning says that you use all Lore symbols rolled to score "one" hit on the enemy unit, not one hit per Lore rolled.

As an aside, the Cleric's Skills look pretty ordinary compared to the other 3 Heroes thusfar, particularly seeing as all the Skills described are 'free' to play (no Lore cost, except the Commander's Outflank) and the Cleric's decent Skills all require Lore (Chant, Herbal Remedy - they didn't even describe Prayer for the Dying or Healing Hands).shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, they changed it...I am now happy.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
And looking at your quote, it looks like the text was changed. it now says...

Quote:
In melee, the Wizard hero can cause a hit with Lore results rolled with this skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Yup, they changed it...I am now happy. :)

I guess this may be proof that someone at FFG reads these forums.

I like this change better since, if your wizard is battling your opponent's Hero, she won't be able to kill him off as easily. And since my opponents are usually my teenage kids, and I want them to keep playing this game with me, I don't want to take their hero out (or have them take my hero out) that easily.

You definitely want to couple your wizard with some strong red units to protect her and maximize her chances of rolling a lore. Though that will slow her down a lot. I guess that's a tradeoff to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bairoth wrote:

As an aside, the Cleric's Skills look pretty ordinary compared to the other 3 Heroes thusfar, particularly seeing as all the Skills described are 'free' to play (no Lore cost, except the Commander's Outflank) and the Cleric's decent Skills all require Lore (Chant, Herbal Remedy - they didn't even describe Prayer for the Dying or Healing Hands).:shake:

My guess is they did this to compensate for the whole overpowered cleric lore cards issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which leads to the biggest question of all:
how does the lore council interact with hero selection?

Because you could end up with a level 3 Cleric and a hero that isn't a cleric which would be interesting, unless you have to take the same hero any level 3 lore council member.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
elberon wrote:
which leads to the biggest question of all:
how does the lore council interact with hero selection?

Because you could end up with a level 3 Cleric and a hero that isn't a cleric which would be interesting, unless you have to take the same hero any level 3 lore council member.

Chris

Just speculating, I am assuming since heros have been so closely tied to the particular lore masters that they are somehow the representation of the Lore master on the board. So taking a Hero once you have a Level 3 Master sounds like a good starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:

...the whole overpowered cleric lore cards issue.

Or non-issue, depending upon ones point of view
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sailor
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have released the list of what is included on the product page:
BattleLore: Heroes includes:

* 10 Unique Hero Figures, including:
5 Unmounted Heroes in five classes
5 Mounted Heroes in five classes
* 5 Hero Banners (1 for each Hero class)
* A Rules Booklet, including 7 new adventures
* 2 Landmark Tiles
* 5 Advisor Tokens
* 12 Treasure Tokens
* 12 Experience Tokens
* 2 Alchemist Tokens
* 10 Chest Tokens
* 110 Cards, including:
40 Hero Skill Cards
65 Artifact Cards
1 Summary Card
4 Landmark Cards

If there are 6 skillcards per hero it would be 30 skill cards but why are there 40 skill cards included? Maybe there are general skills too, which are available for every hero...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
Bernaar wrote:

Or non-issue, depending upon ones point of view ;)

Hey, don't shoot the messenger! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:
toddrew wrote:
Bernaar wrote:

Or non-issue, depending upon ones point of view

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

Seriously though, if the Cleric hero is underpowered compared to the other heroes as a way to balance a perceived inequity (and an incorrectly perceived one at that, in my opinion) amongst the current lore masters, this is a mistake that I see leading to Cleric hero being left out.

I hope that that isn't the case. Can't wait to give these a whirl and find out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akrimas wrote:
They have released the list of what is included on the product page:
BattleLore: Heroes includes:

* A Rules Booklet, including 7 new adventures

A Heroes Campaign track perhaps? As I posted directly above, very excited to see what this expansion brings to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bairoth wrote:

As an aside, the Cleric's Skills look pretty ordinary compared to the other 3 Heroes thusfar, particularly seeing as all the Skills described are 'free' to play (no Lore cost, except the Commander's Outflank) and the Cleric's decent Skills all require Lore (Chant, Herbal Remedy - they didn't even describe Prayer for the Dying or Healing Hands).shake

I don't agree that the cleric looks "ordinary" or underpowered.

The commander's best looking powers seem to need a "scout" card. The wizard has to roll lore on the dice, the cleric looks like he/she has to spend lore points. The rogue's coolest power is the ability to steal and artifact, and that also requires lore to be rolled.

Clearly, rolling a lore is more restrictive than playing one from your pool. It's also more likely to have an available lore point than to have an a scout card.

Therefore, if we've got the rules correct (big assumption...), it's actually easier to play the cleric powers than the coolest powers from the other guys.

My read is that these powers, while all very different, are roughly equal in power, meaning the impact will be situation specific.

IMO, that's great for the game. That means you need to strive to create a situation where your abilities are powerful and the other guy's abilities are irrelevant.

This adds a potential strategic element to an otherwise highly tactical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether the Cleric spells are overpowered or not, a better solution would be to include some alternative spells in an expansion -- then people who thought there was a problem could substitute and those who think the spells are fine could leave them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akrimas wrote:
2 Landmark Tiles

One Troll and one unknown? Or two Troll?

Akrimas wrote:
4 Landmark Cards

Two for the Troll and two unknown?

Or are their Landmark cards that need to be replaced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Akrimas wrote:
2 Landmark Tiles

Akrimas wrote:
4 Landmark Cards

Personally I don't think the Landmark Cards will be for the Troll, because not everybody has the Troll Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sailor
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The landmark tiles are 2 commanders tents a witchhut and 1 where you see ruins and a little house on it. I guess they will be the startingpoint for the heroes on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Kortleven
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:
Aging One wrote:
Akrimas wrote:
2 Landmark Tiles

Akrimas wrote:
4 Landmark Cards

Personally I don't think the Landmark Cards will be for the Troll, because not everybody has the Troll Expansion.

You're probably right, but one can still hope, can't he? I'd also like to have the summary cards for the troll on actual cards instead of a paper map I never use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diaper
Sweden
stockholm
flag msg tools
Game-wise i think all Heroes so far look very interesting.

But the art...

I think the previously previewed heroes looked boring compared to the loremasters in the base game, but still acceptable.

But the style of the wizard really breaks of from the rest of the game.

The style of Julien Devals illustrations for the base game and the expansions so far is great and i really don´t understand why FFG wants to change it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.