Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Games of Agricola often seem as variable and unique as snowflakes. All are similar, and yet no two are identical. Occasionally, notable results occur. This session report details one such instance of unusual outcome. I leave it to Constant Reader to spot the somewhat peculiar characteristic of this game session without scrolling to the end of the report. This one was another “Through the Seasons” contest, and after a standard pass-the-junk draft, I found myself with a number of useful Ocks, including the Wood Carver, the Merchant, and the Market Woman (which was my initial selection), having passed along others like the Village Elder, the Water Carrier, and the Yeoman Farmer, all of which were eventually played by my opponents. Of more interest to me, though, was the initial Minor Improvement I kept, the Stone Exchange. Since I knew I was going first, that one card dictated my first move….

Round One/Autumn/Sow & Bake
Geoff – 3W(4)
Skyp – Occ/Street Musician
Ron – 1R(2)
Brian – 2W(3)
Geoff – RSf
Skyp – PF
Ron – SP + Field> (PF-1f)
Brian – 1W(2)

Tempted though I am to lay down the Market Woman and then take a Round One veggie with the Autumn Action, an opening with which I’ve succeeded before, my eye is on the Well. I take the seasonal wood bonanza. Skyp plays an Ock I’ve rarely paid attention to, since its utility is so dependent on opposition play; it turns out to be worth a 4Grain for him, not too shabby a long-term grain engine, but far too sporadic and unreliable for my taste. Ron snatches up the reed, not an uncommon choice in a “TtS” game, but eventually weakened by his subsequent play. Brian gloms the runner-up wood, and I quickly raid the five-and-dime, setting up my designs on the Well. Skyp plows, Ron does the same via a button grab, and Brian clears the board of wood with an obvious eye toward hut expansion. So far, nothing out of the ordinary.

Round Two/Winter/MIMI
Ron – Occ/Greengrocer
Brian – RSf
Geoff – 2C(3)
Skyp – 3W(3)
Ron – Occ(1)/Village Elder (4W)
Brian – SP + Field> (PF-2f)
Geoff – MIMI/Fp2
Skyp – 1G

Ron opens the Winter Round with what I consider to be a miscue, playing an otherwise decent Ock that he ignores for the next six Rounds. Yes, he eventually cashes in for a number of “free” actions, but such a delayed payoff is rarely worth the early expenditure of a “cheap” action. That he didn’t jump the clay, especially with the fortuitous appearance of MIMI, is beyond me (not that I’m complaining, of course). Brian thrifts, and I claim the clay. Skyp hauls in some wood, Ron does likewise with his second Ock, and then Brian makes what is probably his first miscue with an expensive button theft. I pick up my fireplace while the picking is good, ready for the appearance of sheep, and Skyp closes things out acquiring grain.

Round Three/Spring/Sheep
Brian – Occ/Carpenter
Geoff – SP + Stone Exchange> (2W>2S)
Skyp – 2W(3)
Ron – RSf
Brian – 1R(1)
Geoff – MIMI/Well (5f>
Skyp – 1C(2)
Ron – TP(3f) (1G>s)

Brian gets out his first Ock, the always helpful Carpenter, and I snatch the button in order to swap wood for stone. The Well is as good as mine unless some wisenheimer decides to camp on MIMI, an unlikely event, but not outside the realm of possibility given our crew’s competitiveness. Fortunately, Skyp hauls in more wood, Ron thrifts (no doubt more for the reed and food than the stone), and poor Brian, deprived of the five-and-dime, settles for a lone reed. He obviously intends to build a room ASAP, and I can’t say that I blame him. I claim the Well and its lush produce, Skyp takes clay, and Ron studiously socks away more food, though I’m surprised he didn’t fish for it instead of throwing a grain Skyp’s way. Probably because the Traveling Player’s space is physically closer to him than the Fishing Hole. Go figure.

Round Four/Summer/Fences
Geoff – 3W(5)
Skyp – Fish (5f)
Ron – 2C(5)
Brian – DL (2f+1G)
Geoff – RSf
Skyp – 1C(2)
Ron – MIMI/CH4
Brian – BR(1) +(1s)

Wood is good, and I take it. Skyp can’t resist the plethora of finny food, nor can Ron resist the bargain clay. Brian hits up Day Laborer to fulfill his family’s supply needs, more than happy to take the seasonal grain as well. I thrift (mostly for the reed), Skyp hauls in more clay, Ron purchases the game’s first hearth, and Brian knocks out his room and bonus stable, primed for Family Growth next Round. Dudes home, and we all feed without fuss.

Round Five/Autumn/Renovation + MIMI
Geoff – 2W(5)
Skyp – MIMI/CH5
Ron – 3W(4)
Brian – 1R(3)
Geoff – BR(1) +2s
Skyp – RSf
Ron – 1W(4)
Brian – 2C(2)

With no pressure to build a room immediately, I again claim bargain wood, visions of a double build dancing in my head. Skyp claims the other hearth, thanks to the seasonal discount, and Ron tries to force my next move with his own lumber grab. If Brian lets the reed slide, though, I’m going to let Ron have his room, and take the double build next Round. Regrettably, Brian does take the reed (despite his lack of immediate use for it—he doesn’t spend it for another five Rounds), so I go ahead and get out my room and a pair of stables. Breeding capacity is always a good thing. Despite this threat, none of my opponents choose to chow down on woolies (though Brian can’t anyway), instead satisfying themselves with thrifting, clearing wood, and hauling in clay. The only thing that doesn’t surprise me is that no one claims the button, since another resource-poor Winter is on its way.

Round Six/Winter/Family Growth + MI
Geoff – Sheep(4)burn2
Skyp – SP + Axe
Ron – TP(3f) (1G>s)
Brian – Occ(1G)/Water Carrier (8f>
Geoff – FG + Clay Supports
Skyp – RSf
Ron – WinterAction (FG –2W/3f)
Brian – 3W(3)

Four helpless woolies are simply impossible to resist; I corral two for breeding and put the other two to death. Hey, little wooden discs have gotta eat! Skyp nabs the button and gets out a nice cost-cutting Minor. Ron grabs food, ostensibly for his family, but I know what he’s really up to. Brian commits his next major error by failing to grow, swapping his grain for an installment plan 8food, and I momentarily wish I’d never passed that Ock away in the draft—but only momentarily. Flush with food, I hire on another peep, springing for the Minor that will hopefully make clay hut expansion a mite easier down the line. Skyp now commits his first major error, despite a full larder, by ignoring the Winter Action, opting for the bargain bin instead. Ron happily grows; it’s a pricey move, but at this stage in the game (pardon the pun), it’s more than worth it. According to the FEATS algorithm, Skyp has denied himself eight points and given them to Ron, not a very smart thing to do. Brian desultorily clears the only wood worth taking, though perhaps with a dawning awareness of being between a rock and a hard place (i.e. me and Ron). Most assuredly, he regrets not taking the plunge and adding to his workforce.

Round Seven/SpringSummer/Stone
Skyp – BR(1) +(1s)
Ron – Fish (4f)
Brian – DL (2f+1G)
Geoff – RSf
Skyp – FG +x
Ron – SP + Sawhorse
Brian – TP (1f) (1G>s)
Geoff – SummerAction (2VP)
Ron – Fences (8+4+2)
Geoff – 2C(4)

With both Brian and Ron (to a much lesser extent, due to his lack of food) threatening, Skyp is forced to build a room right up front. He could have really crimped Ron’s style by fishing, but that’s not in Skyp’s nature, plus he would have had to forego his own growth, not a smart thing to do. Truth be told, screwage moves in Agricola have to be very, very carefully chosen, and the more players there are, the less effective such moves are likely to be. At any rate, Ron quickly empties the pond himself. Brian, too, is short on supplies and has to hit up Day Laborer. I raid the bargain bin again, Skyp grows sans Minor, and Ron grabs the button, coughing up a 2Wood today for a hambur stable and potential 5Wood next Tuesday. Flailing, Brian grabs the only food source left to him, giving Skyp yet another grain. Smug, I glom the holiday victory points. Ron fences, cashing in part of the Sawhorse’s IOU on top of the seasonal bonus. Nice. I close out the Round and Stage with bolstered clay. Peeps home and feed faces; astoundingly Ron has voluntarily taken a Begging Card! Will wonders never cease?

Round Eight/AutumnWinter/Vegetables
Ron – 3W(6)
Brian – MIMI/Fp3
Geoff – 2W(6)
Skyp – 1C(3)
Ron – Sheep(2)
Brian – 1V
Geoff – 1G
Skyp – SP + Outhouse
Ron – 1W(3)
Geoff – Ren>C +Clay Oven (5f)
Skyp – 1R(2)

Ron opens the midgame with the obligatory stacked wood grab. Brian, fearful of starving, buys the seasonally discounted fireplace, and I snag the other major woodpile. Skyp boosts clay, Ron shepherds in the woolies, and Brian stocks up emergency supplies, still afraid to grow. This is undoubtedly another miscue. I blithely take a grain, hoping no one will figure out what I’m up to. Skyp takes the button, turning a wood and a clay into a quick two points, while Ron clears the last kindling from the board. I then renovate and claim the Clay Oven and its produce, and Skyp scoops up the stacked reed. Everyone seems pretty happy except Brian.

Round Nine/SpringSummer/Boar
Skyp – BR(1) +(1s)
Ron – DL (2f+1G)
Brian – Fish (3f)
Geoff – 1S(3)
Skyp – S&B (1Gf +6f)
Ron – 1G +1V
Brian – FG + Crooked Plow
Geoff – 1C(4)
Skyp – Occ(1)/Yeoman Farmer
Ron – SummerAction (3VP)
Geoff – SP + Dovecote (5f>

Skyp pounds out another room, and we all whistle at his atypical boldness—the boy sure can swing that axe! Ron starts assembling his granary with the help of Day Laborer, and Brian makes what appears to be yet another misplay, refusing to grow his family in favor of fishing. I quickly nab the budget stone, and now Skyp reverts to form, refusing to grow as well. Instead, he plants and bakes, something he might surely have done with his third dude. Fear can play havoc with a player, that much is certain. Ron continues assembling seed stores, and now Brian takes the plunge, playing one of the lesser Plows to boot. I calmly haul in the cheap clay. Skyp stumbles once more, overlooking the holiday to get out another Ock (which admittedly saves him four points at game’s end, but could easily have been played later), and Ron immediately takes advantage. I retake the button, turning two stone into as many points, along with a 5food. Sweet. Dudes home, and we all feed. For whatever oddball reason, Ron refuses to part with a grain to finish feeding his family, and takes a second Begging Card. One must assume he has the Mendicant. Brian consumes his veggie and two food, and I use renewable lamb chops.

Round Ten/AutumnWinter/Cattle
Geoff – 3W(6)
Skyp – 1R(2)
Ron – Boar(2)
Brian – 2W(4)
Geoff – RSf
Skyp – 1C(2)
Ron – 1G+1V
Brian – Sheep(2)
Geoff – PF
Skyp – Ren>C + x
Ron – WinterAction (FG –2W/3f)
Brian – BR(1)

Naturally, I gather in the hardwood, Skyp takes the reed, and Ron adds piglets to his menagerie. Brian takes the secondary wood, I five-and-dime, Skyp continues to gumbify, and Ron piles up yet more seedlings. Brian herds the sheep, I plow my first field (sneering at the Winter Action), and Skyp renovates sans bonus action. Ron, profligate as always, grows without room again, frying his veggie to do so. Brian, a fire finally lit under his butt, adds another room, refusing to tack on another stable. I’m not quite sure what that boy is thinking.

Round Eleven/SpringSummer/Stone
Geoff – Fences (10+2)
Skyp – PF
Ron – Cattle(2)
Brian – 2C(4)
Geoff – BR(1) +(1s)
Skyp – 1V
Ron – SpringAction (1Gf + 1s1b1c)
Brian – FG + Loom
Geoff – SummerAction (3VP)
Skyp – S&B (1Vf +6f)
Ron – SP + x
Brian – TP (4f) (1G>s)
Ron – 1G +1V

It’s time for me to be a good neighbor, so I fence a standard 2x3 double pasture grid, the seasonal bonus allowing me to hold a 3Wood in reserve. Skyp plows his second field, Ron rounds out his livestock with a pair of heifers, and Brian nabs clay. I build a budget clay room, complete with free stable, Skyp erases a negative, again refusing to grow (insert Dragnet opening chords here), and Ron seasonally sows and expands his animal holdings. Brian knows which side the bread is buttered and hires on a fourth hand, burning his wood to activate the Loom. I take my second holiday, if only to make sure no one else does. Skyp plants his kumquats and bakes his grain, Ron purloins the button to set up another 6Wood, Brian hastily restocks his pantry, providing Skyp yet another grain, and Ron closes the midgame with a last haul of seeds. Peeps away, and families feed: all but Ron have straight-up food (I again fry a renewable wooly); he burns a cow and two sheep, replacing one of each, along with a brand new piglet. The endgame is at hand at last.

Round Twelve/AutumnWinter/Plow & Sow
Ron – 3W(6)
Brian – 2W(4)
Geoff – 1S(3)
Skyp – PF
Ron – P&S (1Vf)
Brian – 1W(4)
Geoff – FG +Milking Shed
Skyp – Boar(2)burn2
Ron – RSf
Brian – Ren>C + x
Geoff – SP + Field> (PF-1f)
Skyp – MIMI/Field> (PF-1f)
Ron – 1R(2)
Brian – Sheep(2)burn2

Ron swallows up the primo woodpile, obviously intent upon a last double build. Brian follows suit, equally fixated on fences. If only to make life difficult on Ron, I grab the 3Stone, but really I’ve got other plans for it as well. Skyp, forlornly afraid to grow and knowing his fencing hopes are pretty much doomed, maxes out his fields, although with the wrong action. Ron quickly takes advantage of the slip and plants squash, Brian snags more wood, and I finally hire on my fourth peep, putting out the pricey but still useful Milking Shed. Skyp fries pork loin to feed his folks, Ron thrifts for key reed and stone, and Brian weakly renovates to clay. I snatch back the button, passing on the peripatetic Field, which Skyp then MIMIs over to Ron, who says thankee-sah and nabs the last reed he’ll need for his final, critical actions. Brian morosely scorches mutton, muttering imprecations to all within earshot. His agonies are nearly over.

Round Thirteen/SpringSummer/Family Growth w/o
Geoff – Cattle(2)
Skyp – FG + x
Ron – 1S(3)
Brian – PF (+2PF)
Geoff – RSf
Skyp – P&S (1Vf +2Gf)
Ron – 1C(4)
Brian – Fences (8+2)
Geoff – SummerAction (3VP)
Skyp – 1C(4)
Ron – BR(2) +(2s)+(1s)
Brian – Fish (6f)
Geoff – FG w/o
Ron – Ren>C + Field> (PF-1f)
Brian – 1V

Despite the temptation to crush Ron’s hopes of renovating to stone, I know I’ve only got the one decent shot at cattle, and take it. Three points is three points, after all, and besides, it’ll keep his attentions away from the Summer action. Skyp finally grows again, much too late, and once again without the efficiency of an additional action. Ron, of course, snaps up the stone, while Brian puts his Plow to work. I raid the bargain bins to secure my own stone futures. Skyp does some “real” farming, Ron nails down the clay he needs for the necessary upgrade, and Brian fences the best he can for the moment, mirroring my 2x3 two-pasture array. No dummy I, I take my third holiday. With sights set on a fifth room, Skyp grabs the budget clay. Ron knocks out the double build, along with two seasonal stables and the pre-paid one via the Sawhorse. Brian reels in a ton of trout (always good for dealing with people who need a good slap to the head), and I max out my crew. Ron now renovates, passing along the Field. Brian erases the vedge negative again, and the Round is over. The renewable wooly (and the Milking Shed) nicely effectuates supplying my family, a veggie likewise for Skyp, while Ron chooses to incinerate two cattle. Only Brian feeds straight up with food. We all repent our sins; the end is near.

Round Fourteen/All/Renovation + Fences
Geoff – Ren>S
Skyp – 1R(2)
Ron – P&S (1Gf +1Vf)
Brian – 3W(5)
Geoff – PF
Skyp – 2C(2)
Ron – SummerAction (2VP)
Brian – FG w/o
Geoff – Boar(2)burn2sheep
Skyp – BR(1) +(1s)
Ron – Ren>S
Brian – Fences (3+2)
Geoff – 1G
Skyp – S&B (1Gf/1Vf +6f)
Ron – Occ(1)/Mendicant
Brian – SP + Field> (PF-1f)
Geoff – 1V

Despite the lure of wood to max out fences and pastures, I decide to renovate, freezing Ron out of the Stage Two MIMI, since I can’t be sure what he may have up his sleeve. Skyp takes the reed, Ron plows and plants, Brian gloms the wood, and I plow. Skyp labors on for his last room, Ron holidays (smart boy!), Brian adds a dude, and I erase another negative. Skyp builds his fifth room, good on him, using the free stable to fill another empty farmyard. Ron renovates, Brian does the fences/pastures thing, and I cancel yet another negative. Skyp garners a few more points and food, and Ron pops out the Ock we all knew he had waiting in the wings. Brian throws down a last field, and I cancel one last negative. Seed, feed, and breed, cue theme music, roll credits; it’s all over but the scoring.

Final Score (Occupations Played, Minors/Majors Played)(Wood taken/bonus)(Rounds as Starting Player)(Total Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Actions)(Points Per Primary Action)(Food Spent)

Geoff – 57 (0 Occ, 5/3)(26/4)(8)(39/7/2)(1.462)(42)
Ron – 49 (3 Occ, 3/1)(23/10)(3)(40/6/7)(1.225)(50)
Brian – 31 (2 Occ, 4/1)(25/8)(1)(36/4/7)(0.861)(40)
Skyp – 27 (2 Occ, 3/1)(6/12)(2)(36/5/7)(0.750)(37)

Player Fields Pastures Grain Veg Sheep Boar Cattle Unused Stables House Peeps Pts Bonus
Geoff 3(2) 2(2) 1(1) 1(1) 1(1) 1(1) 4(3) (-2) 3(3) 4S(8) 5(15) (11) (11)
Ron 4(3) 4(4) 8(4) 3(3) 4(2) 5(3) 1(1) (-1) 4(4) 4S(8) 4(12) (1) (5)
Brian 5(4) 4(4) 0(-1) 1(1) 4(2) 0(-1) 0(-1) 0 1(1) 4C(4) 5(15) (2) (1)
Skyp 5(4) 0(0) 4(2) 3(3) 0(0) 0(0) 0(0) (-2) (0) 5C(5) 4(12) (3) (0)

As Constant Reader can presumably see, I won this game without playing a single Occupation, and with a nice, hefty score and significant margin to boot. This was not something I set out to accomplish, but more a function of playing the game as efficiently as I could manage. On the few occasions I considered playing an Ock, I always found something better to do. Let this be at least partial proof that the cards do not determine the outcome. On the other hand, of course, I had a number of utile Minors that enabled a goodly percentage of my final tally: six points outright (the Field, the Milking Shed, and the Dovecote) and another four indirectly (the Stone Exchange got me the Well).

Also of interest is Brian’s inability to parlay strong wood acquisition (he effectively gathered as much timber as Ron, and both of them surpassed my total) into an equivalent score. His failure to grow in Stage Two is undoubtedly the culprit. Ron profited greatly from Skyp’s mistakes, offering some evidence that players downstream from weaker players will tend to do better than not, though I have to opine that Brian’s miscues didn’t seem to do a whole lot for me. As well, all my opponents were to one degree or another responsible for my holiday bonanza, an aspect of “TtS” play that must be given all due attention. Skyp’s mediocre results are easily explained by his failure to grow his workforce, and an equal failure to gather wood. That, combined with inefficiency of play (no subsidiary actions when he grew or renovated), led to his last place finish. Indeed, he committed the cardinal sin of paying too much attention to his food engine to the detriment of growth. Finally, I note that Ron’s excessive food expenditures compared to his actions total still produced the expected victory points predicted by FEATS by virtue of efficient play and the aforementioned miscues on Skyp’s part. All in all, a highly instructive game, imho, though I leave the final decision on that count to Constant Reader.

Comments, questions, brickbats, flowers; feel free. “Words, words, words! They’re all we’ve got!"

Edited to correct one scoring mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very complete session report, enjoyed the read. I had my butt kicked in a 2 player game with my other half last night, thorough stuff up on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Eric. I'll have a new 2-player report up sometime next week, a prime illustration of the power of the Straw-Thatched Roof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I can guess what "secondary actions" are - stuff like minor improvements played off a renovation or FG space, yeah? - but what are "tertiary actions"? I can't think of an acton square that lets you do three things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wood4Sheep wrote:
I'm pretty sure I can guess what "secondary actions" are - stuff like minor improvements played off a renovation or FG space, yeah? - but what are "tertiary actions"? I can't think of an acton square that lets you do three things...

Oops, sorry about that, Andy. I defined these a couple of session reports ago, and have never bothered repeating it. You are correct about secondary actions; these are the ones you take on the "and/or" and "and" spaces, which would include Ren+MIMI, Ren+Fences, FG+MI, SP+MI, S&B, P&S, and BR+s (Build Room(s) + stables). Tertiary actions primarily the ones derived from cards, as in use of the Pieceworker, the various resource Buyers, the Field Watchman, etc., as well as bonuses received from various cards like the Spinney, the Resource Seller, the Grocer, etc., along with bonus resources one might get from the "Through the Seasons" variant. Really, I should probably just combine Secondaries and Tertiaries, since many of the Tertiaries can be pretty strong (cf. the Grain Cart, the Field Watchmen, etal.) and some of the Secondaries can be equally weak (e.g. Building Room(s) and one stable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Wood4Sheep wrote:

Oops, sorry about that, Andy. I defined these a couple of session reports ago, and have never bothered repeating it. You are correct about secondary actions; these are the ones you take on the "and/or" and "and" spaces, which would include Ren+MIMI, Ren+Fences, FG+MI, SP+MI, S&B, P&S, and BR+s (Build Room(s) + stables). Tertiary actions primarily the ones derived from cards, as in use of the Pieceworker, the various resource Buyers, the Field Watchman, etc., as well as bonuses received from various cards like the Spinney, the Resource Seller, the Grocer, etc., along with bonus resources one might get from the "Through the Seasons" variant. Really, I should probably just combine Secondaries and Tertiaries, since many of the Tertiaries can be pretty strong (cf. the Grain Cart, the Field Watchmen, etal.) and some of the Secondaries can be equally weak (e.g. Building Room(s) and one stable).

Thanks for clearing that up--I've been wondering the same thing. Your session reports are excellent. Maybe you should work up a canned copy+paste job for the beginning of every one (with this info as well as a brief descriptor of your FEATS concept). You could italicize it or something so it's easy to skip for people who are already familiar with the content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkoBeta wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up--I've been wondering the same thing. Your session reports are excellent. Maybe you should work up a canned copy+paste job for the beginning of every one (with this info as well as a brief descriptor of your FEATS concept). You could italicize it or something so it's easy to skip for people who are already familiar with the content.

Hmmm. Common sense, convenience, and 110% non-meanness all in one swell foop. I may have to think about that one....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smeding
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Final Score (Occupations Played, Minors/Majors Played)(Wood taken/bonus)(Rounds as Starting Player)(Total Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Actions)(Points Per Primary Action)(Food Spent)

Geoff – 57 (0 Occ, 5/3)(26/4)(8)(39/7/2)(1.462)(42)
Ron – 49 (3 Occ, 3/1)(23/10)(3)(40/6/7)(1.225)(50)
Brian – 31 (2 Occ, 4/1)(25/8)(1)(36/4/7)(0.861)(40)
Skyp – 27 (2 Occ, 3/1)(6/12)(2)(36/5/7)(0.750)(37)

A bit of a newb question here, (I'll blame it on the lateness of the evening): In your scoring, you mention the 'Total Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Actions' and I was wondering where those values are derived from?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Chambers
msg tools
GFireflyE wrote:
A bit of a newb question here, (I'll blame it on the lateness of the evening): In your scoring, you mention the 'Total Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Actions' and I was wondering where those values are derived from?

Primary actions are how many times a player placed a peep. Basically family members * number of rounds. Early family growers have more actions than people who grow late.

Secondary actions are optional actions taken along with primary placements, e.g., Family Growth WITH a minor improvement play, or Renovation AND a major improvement purchase. Taking start player and playing an improvement adds to the primary and secondary action tallies. Taking it but not playing an improvement is just a primary action.

Tertiary actions occur as the result of occupations and minor improvements being activated. This is something like an extra grain coming from the grain scoop or The Plough Driver plowing an additional field when you pay a food. It's almost like you took an additional take grain or plow 1 field action. Obviously having a high tertiary action shouldn't be a player's goal since they are bonuses from occupations and improvements which do not neccesarily help you more than ones which let you have other cool abilities, but high primary and secondary action counts probably should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Chambers
msg tools
And of course, I just now realize the question has been asked and answered earlier in the thread. I guess that's what I get for just reading the newest post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for clarifying things for those who may have glossed over the earlier posts, Lord C. Let it also be known that I answered the poster via geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.