United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
While I can't particularly prove it won me the game, a critical play last night in a 2 player RftG w/ both expansions involved the new gambling world.

With 3 military power on the table, I had Rebel Base in my hand (defense 6). Having just played gambling world to try it out (2nd time only that we ever played that card), I anted up Black Market Trading World (3 cost) and revealed 2 4-cost devs and a 1 cost card... one of the 4-costs being Drop Ships - which gave me the power to settle the Rebel Base.

In the end, I won by 6 points, the exact amount that Rebel base was worth. Also, my only VP chip came from consuming a good with gambling world as well.

(Yes, I realize that I could just as well have played something else later to get the +3 military, or put something else out to get points, etc etc. But shhh, don't be a buzzkill!)

At the very least, Gambling World is now playable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the old GW, but also the new one a well. With the old one, you guess 6 cost/def if you're fishing for 6-cost devs. Otherwise, your best probability is guessing 2 for more wealth. If you've been paying attention and counting cards, you'll be able to guess a value with better chances.

With the new GW, the things I like are....

--flexibility
ante a 1 to 3-card, better shot at getting ANYTHING for wealth
higher numbers to flip more cards for the 6-cost cards

--the ante itself
The player stands to lose something. Unlike the old GW where the only loss was not gaining anything, here, you stand out to come behind if you play your cards wrong. Literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmer Sivertsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has a nice finesse to using it. Early game, you might not be able to afford much. Flashing a 1-cost that you can't use very well nets you a card. Late game, you can use something like Consumer Markets as a gamble, going for a 6-cost (but otherwise not very useful, unless you're on a blue-path).

I tried to play the old Gambling World - it wasn't a good scene. The latest one is a decent card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.