BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Bugs

Subject: "|" character in URLs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to add a link to my user profile. The link uses the "|" character (the vertical line) -- specifically, it's a permalink to a view of my collection, and the "|" character is used to separate out the visible columns. Unfortunately, "|" seems to break the URL. I'm not sure why!

Here's an example using Aldie's profile: [url=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Aldie?sort=boardgamerank&sortdir=asc&columns=title|thumbnail|status|wishlistcomment|boardgamerank|rating&subtype=boardgame&wishlist=1&ff=1]broken link[/url]. (And no, I didn't leave a space between "url=" and the link -- that just shows up here for some reason.)

By contrast, when I take out all of the "|" characters, the link works just fine. Except that you're limited to one column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
A given user profile would be:

www.boardgamegeek.com/user/derk

The additional characters are just lost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I'm not trying to link to a user profile. I'm trying to link to a particular view of my collection. It appears that permalinks to collection views use the "|" character, which breaks the url.

(As it happens, I'm trying to put a link into my own profile, but the same problem occurs if I'm putting the link into a forum post, like this one.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/derk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
it looks like derk has fixed your original problem, but one work around for things like this is to use a url shortening service (not ideal, but sometimes works): aldie's profile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using "%7C" rather than "|":

Example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ogermino wrote:
Try using "%7C" rather than "|":

Example

Thanks! This has been plaguing me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ogermino wrote:
Try using "%7C" rather than "|"

This solves the problem! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

If you care to know more about the mysterious "%7C", here's a helpful page that also gives you the encoding for many other characters that may give you trouble when posting a link:

http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.ht...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.