Popular Tags: [View All]
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As the subject line says, I am loving Runebound. After 15 plays in only a couple of weeks Runebound is reminding me that there are great matches for almost any gamer out there if you research enough. With that being said, I have read almost every post regarding Arkham Horror here on BGG and my question to everyone is this:

For those of you who own or have played both Runebound and Arkham Horror, will someone who has only experienced Runebound enjoy Arkham Horror as well? I know likes and dislikes are subjective, but I would love to hear from anyone who has an informed opinion based on playing both games. Thanks in advance for your input and have a great day.

Marlinus64

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass tacks I think it comes down to two things. Do you like co-ops and do you like the theme? If you like co-ops and like the horror theme then I think you will definitely like the game. The game itself has a pretty wide appeal. The group I play Arkham with is a bunch of wargamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them both, they're both 10s for me.

But they are very different games, you won't necessarily like one if you like the other.

Runebound is more combat/action oriented, while Arkham is more adventure/exploration oriented. Arkham is much more thematic, and much more immersive, also, much more narrative oriented.

Having said that, I know a lot of people that like them both.

So I'd say if you like RB, chances lean strongly towards you liking AH as well.

You, my friend, are already one of the initiates; you enjoy RB. You are about to embark on another great gaming experience. I say go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like both quite a lot, and they are like each other in a very basic sense of spending time developing characters like you might in an RPG. Besides that, the games are fairly different. Runebound is more of a straight-out, undisguised race against everyone else to the finish line while playing the game of character development. Arkham seems to be more of a game of chaos and damage control--close this gate, stop this effect from adding doom tokens, grab this clue token before it gets swallowed up. A lot more is going on at any given time. Runebound, by comparison, feels more static to me. It feels like the environment is waiting for you to interact with it in Runebound, whereas in AH, things spiral out of control if you're not efficient with your actions. The environment doesn't wait for you to come to it.

The one nice thing about Arkham Horror is that it doesn't need the expansions to "fix" it. The base game plays very well on its own. This means that you can buy the base game and judge whether or not you like it without wondering if you're limited by playing a suboptimal version. My point is, there's no reason not to try the base game and see what you think. Don't feel like you have to get the expansions, however, until you've played the base game and gotten a feel for it. The expansions are nice but not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I have both games and to be honest, I prefer AH. Why ? Well, it has more suspense and is more immersive. Bottom line, AH is scary.

Runebound was OK for a few games but then became a bit boring, imho. I do come back to the game, but not after a good dose of AH.

Anyway, like everything else.... it is subjective For me, AH is great because I can play it solo and not feel I am missing out on much. With RB, I played it solo (adding another character) and it was fine for a while. AH, on the otherhand.....I can come back to it and still find it fresh. Also, I play it between other games and never get lost !

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You rated Doom an 8. I think you'll like Arkham very very much... goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Runebound. Arkham Horror is my favorite boardgame, period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.