Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: More Great Old Ones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hiya,

Am homebrewing a couple of great old ones to be used in an upcoming game. We have Dark pharaoh, and Dunwich Horror. At first glance, these look balanced, but before I start drawing some artwork to include in Strange Eons, I'd like to get your opinion on whether they'll be hideously unbalanced or not...

---

The Nameless Mist, -3 (Physical Immunity)

Worshippers:
The Nameless Mist is not worshipped but its presence affects the air itself. The Sky is considered to be adjacent to all unstable locations in addition to street locations.

Vile Miasma:
While the Nameless Mist stirs, the air becomes thick with poison and ash.
Upkeep: Investigators in a street area must roll a die. On a 1-2, they lose 1 stamina and 1 sanity.

Start of Battle:
Investigators discard all clue tokens.

Attack:
Investigators roll dice equal to their maximum stamina.Investigators with no successes are devoured. Investigators receive one fewer die each turn.

Currently, this one has a doom track of 12.

---

Cyäegha -4 (Physical, Magical Resistance)

Worshippers:
Cyäegha has a large and active following, who draw their strength directly from it.
Cultists have a fight rating of -2, a toughness of 2, a combat damage of 2 Stamina, and have Ambush and the Endless ability.

The Waiting Dark:
While Cyäegha stirs in its slumber, ill fortune spreads freely. The first player's dice rolls only succeed on a six, regardless of Blessed or Cursed status. This affliction only affects the holder of the First Player marker.

Attack:
Each investigator must pass a Fight (+2)[2] check or lose 2 Stamina. This check's modifier decreases by 1 each turn.

Currently, this one has a doom track of 12 too.

---

Are these too easy? Too hard? Too unbalanced in other ways? Would a longer/shorter doom track help? Any advice would be appreciated, as we've played the game through several times, and have tried it vs all the great old ones in Arkham/Dunwich... but this is the first attempt at homebrew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to the newer GOO's that are almost impossible to defeat in final combat, they're pretty good. More akin to the original game AO's.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah, I did notice that from the newer ones.

I'll make them a little harder for the final combat only, but I'll leave their game-affecting stats the same. I'm quite fond of the flying one, the fact that flying monsters become very important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.