Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen it yet. Loved Borat; looking forward to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
i heard an interview with cohen on npr with terry gross, it was from 2007 after borat came out. he talked a little about bruno in reference to the ali g show and mentioned going to an alabama/mississippi football game and getting booed at by 60k people after he danced with the cheerleaders, that could have gotten dangerous, he said he hired a bodyguard for that day, but the bodyguard ran off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoyed Borat and Da Ali G show. But lately she's been giving me this trip about Sacha Baron Cohen unfairly stereotyping homosexuals. I suggested to her that if we got inebriated beforehand maybe she would be able to loosen up and laugh more without feeling bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
My wife and I really enjoyed Borat and Da Ali G show. But lately she's been giving me this trip about Sacha Baron Cohen unfairly stereotyping homosexuals. I suggested to her that if we got inebriated beforehand maybe she would be able to loosen up and laugh more without feeling bad.

she had no problem with cohen stereotyping hip hop fans or khazakstanians (sp?) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like goofballs--I liked Ace Ventura immensely when it came out. But he was a character. I know Cohen is playing a character, but the joke is on the stupid, self-centered, ignorant, etc. people that he interacts with. I don't think they're funny. I see them every day in my real life. They're F*&KING obnoxious. They regularly screw up my well organized, successful life. The last think I want to do to unwind is to see more of them. This is also the reason why I watch no "Reality TV."

Anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
I suggested to her that if we got inebriated beforehand maybe she would be able to loosen up and laugh more without feeling bad.
Ironically, that's what leads to many people's first homosexual experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we saw it last weekend. It totally blows. Total sucker-bait. It's all below the belt now for Cohen. As I watched I got the profound sense that Cohen reminds me of what children do once someone recognizes that they are funny. They go straight for the scat because that's what they think is funny. Well it's not funny, it's gross. The important contributions of Cohen's oeuvre were in Da Ali G show and Borat. Brüno proves that his schtick is unsustainable. This should have never been made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteKong wrote:
The stereotype is intentional. The comic genius of the character is that it reflects bigotry in others. That's why Borat was a racist and a misogynist - it showed how others allow a "well-intentioned" racist to exist unimpeded in our society. Borat's racism becomes the white elephant in the room.

I've heard this a few times now, and I'm not sure it rings true. In Borat, for example, we were supposed to laugh both at people for agreeing with him (they're racists), people just tolerating him (they're allowing racism by being overly polite) and people violently disagreeing with his views (they're too uptight). You can't make fun of all of these and claim that you have a cause: you're targeting everyone equally.

The same goes for his first stint as Ali G on the 11 o' Clock Show: the idea was to send up public figures who were desperate to connect with young people by showing how little they knew about young people. But a) what's wrong with trying to get in touch with young people, even if you do come across as a bit bumbling and b) I doubt they called him, he called them and they agreed. I don't see how you can have a reasonable dig at them for that.

In my eyes, Baron-Cohen is your common-or-garden wind-up merchant accredited with sophistication for some reason: whether it's that he's such a good actor or that he's upper-middle class, I don't know. In reality, he's about as sophisticated as Jeremy Beadle and with less sympathy for his victims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lebanon
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
I found Borat fucking awful except for a couple scenes (the gun shop and the car salesman), but Brüno made me laugh. Maybe it was the accent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
It still amazes me how the idea of homosexuality makes some people so damn violent. Theres some deep issues goin on in there.

I was thinking this when I saw the movie. Particularly the one wrestling fan who was crying at the end of the Straight Dave scene at the end of the movie... DEEEEEP SEEDED issues...

blindspot wrote:

You could perhaps also take her to a local big city gay pride parade. There you will see plenty of flamboyance, cross dressing, strutting and "stereotypical" behaviour all for the show and spectacle. As long as people have the need to belong they will conform to an extent to what they think is expected behaviour. Live and let live.

Oh, also laughed quite a bit during the movie, thought O...M....G.... a couple of times. The guy certainly has balls to do what he did in some of those scene, I can tell you that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.