Werewolf» Forums » General

Subject: Lupus in tabula vs. ultimate werewolf? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I am kinda new to werewolf game. (I have played before and want to play more that is something I am sure of)

Which one should I buy OR should I just print some cards from the download section?

Fans out there: give me some pluses and minuses?

I think in commercial edition I am looking for great art and mayby good rulebook/rules (which I have heard ultimate werewolf atleast has both!).

Most of the time I am mayby playing with 6-10 players. This is limited somewhat with my gaming group and also I would think that it would mayby get little too hectic with more?!
Also I dont want too much "downtime" if you are eliminated from the game early on.
So extra plus if some commercial edition or fan made works extra well with this low number of players?!

Also I think for example because I play so rarely with 12+ people I think in ultimate werewolf vampire cards will mostly be unused. So I feels a little bit drag to have to pay for those!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McFadden
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Game night any night!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my comparison of UV v. Miller's Hollow.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/318786

Lupus In Tabula is also nice. My feeling is that MH is the best for a smaller group, and is the nicest artwork.

Good luck. LiT and Miller's Hollow are pretty cheap... get both!!!
gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
the ultimate werewolf: ultimate edition, is very nice. it has lots of cards to handle both large and small groups with many different roles. i also like that the role names are listed on the cards which is helpful for new players.

the other really great thing about this edition is the rule book, it has a balance guide that helps you design your own role sets, but keep them balanced. each role has a listed weight and a lot of thought went into maintaing the balance for each side.

the box is also nice and compact this time rather than the larger one for the first edition. i would vote for ultimate werewolf: ultimate edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm when i see Ultimate werewolf charracter cards I see good art certainly BUT seems to me that if you dont know allreaydy what a "aura seer" does. It wont help you allmost at all!

Granted you kinda need to know the rules of charracters in use before any game but if you are forgetful (like I certainly am) you would not mind a helpful reminder in the role card!

Is this fixed in any edition of werewolf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macls29 wrote:
Here is my comparison of UV v. Miller's Hollow.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/318786

Lupus In Tabula is also nice. My feeling is that MH is the best for a smaller group, and is the nicest artwork.

Good luck. LiT and Miller's Hollow are pretty cheap... get both!!!
gulp

Hmmm It would seem that actually Ultimate werewolf is better since cardprotectors (you save 10e?) etc all ready in it.

What differences in the roles are there in ultimate werewolf and miller's hollow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
What differences in the roles are there in ultimate werewolf and miller's hollow?

Roles in WoMH (with number of cards next to it if more than 1):
Werewolf (4)
Villagers (13)
Seer
Thief
Hunter
Cupid
Witch
Little Girl
Sheriff

Ultimate Werewolf has all of those roles except the Little Girl (because I think it breaks the game and causes other people to never want to play again).

Ultimate Werewolf Roles:
Apprentice Seer
Aura Seer
Bodyguard
Cupid
Diseased
Ghost
Hunter
Idiot
Lycan
Magician
Martyr
Mason (3)
Mayor
Old Hag
Old Man
P.I.
Pacifist
Priest
Prince
Seer (2: 1 male & 1 female)
Spellcaster
Tough Guy
Troublemaker
Villager (20)
Witch
Sorcerer
Minion
Werewolf (12)
Wolf Cub
Cursed
Doppelganger
Drunk
Cult Leader
Hoodlum
Tanner
Lone Wolf
Vampire (6)
Amulet of Protection
Blank Cards (3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igg V
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The newer version of Lupus has roles written on the card. I have the older set and have my cards sleeved so I can insert any role I want into the game. If I had to start from scratch, the ultimate werewolf set has every conceivable role you're going to use for a while and it is adaptable to a variety of rule variations that differ between versions. Neither set is bad, but if you intend to use many many special roles you want the ultimate werewolf set or a set of playing cards you can wreck with a sharpie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Lupus has a more structured voting system: Everyone nominates; there is then a vote between the two who got the most nominations. This can take a little longer (to collect the nominations) but cuts down on the chaos and avoids serial acquittals, perhaps more valuable in larger groups. There is a Role (the 'Owl' in the English translation) that depends on the two-nominee mechanism.

It also has a no-reveal rule, and a Role (the Medium) who learns whether the villagers lynched a werewolf or not. I rather like the rule system, although Ultimate has a better presentation. I do not know whether Ultimate can be completely adapted to the Lupus rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.