The Red Dragon Inn» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Boys" night in red dragon inn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I like this variant: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/340917.

I am thinking of playing this with real drinks. I think because this game simulates whole evening and because game play is quick and the game can be over in 1h. You should drink beer or cider only. (or anything really with alcohol level less than 5%) I think players should have relatively small glasses and drink one half (if they get 1 point of damage) whole cup (if they get 2 points of damage) and 1,5cup (if they get 3 points damage) and 2cups (if they get 4 points of damage) (I think I read 4 is maximium you can get at a time?)

Ok so that was easy.
Next I would like to implement real gambling!
Each player would pay a "game fee" of lets say 2 dollars/euros and the money would go to the winner. (last man standing)

For this to work we would need real games like dices or mayby poker ( I am thinking of texas holdem mayby other forms of poker too?) How about black jack?

I think there is even coming official deck of cards this year from slugfeset which allows you to play some kind of cardgames in gambling section of the game. Those would be nice and I would definetly buy those but I think in my own gaming group we would prefer real gambling games!?

I have not played this game! But my question is with all the cheating cards etc. Is it realistic or even possible to use texas holdem or for example black jack in the gambling section of the game?
How would the cheating cards/game effects excatly work?
How are these problems solved in that official soon to be released card game?!

Ok so also one question which one should I buy red dragon inn 1 or 2? I am playing with only 4 people maximum and at the moment I am leaning towards 2 because clearer rules. Different base colors for drinking deck and better drinking deck than the orginal!

But then again I would not want to play with charracters that 1) can get others to drink too much! (so that the players themselves cant take the alcohol!) 2)can drink so much alcohol that the players cant really keep up!

Does those restrictions limit my options in which version of the game I should buy?

Bonus question is red dragon inn 1 or 2 the best "take that" type game out there or is for example lunch/beer money or kung fu fighting better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
Ok so I like this variant: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/340917.

I am thinking of playing this with real drinks. I think because this game simulates whole evening and because game play is quick and the game can be over in 1h. You should drink beer or cider only. (or anything really with alcohol level less than 5%) I think players should have relatively small glasses and drink one half (if they get 1 point of damage) whole cup (if they get 2 points of damage) and 1,5cup (if they get 3 points damage) and 2cups (if they get 4 points of damage) (I think I read 4 is maximium you can get at a time?)

I'd disagree on the less than 5% rule. But then, the beer we drink in the northwest is rather heavier stuff than in other places. We may be used to it more. Or maybe I'm just an alcoholic...
Still, hard alcohol would definitely be out. You'd be smashed before the first game was done.
I'd say don't go above the lower end wines. Put a cap at 10% and that would be about right for the harder drinking sort of crew that I've got.

I think the best way to do it would be to use the kinds of shot glasses with the measures on the sides like this one:

And make house rules as to exactly how much (minus foam!) liquid equals number of in game drinks.

Quote:
Ok so that was easy.
Next I would like to implement real gambling!
Each player would pay a "game fee" of lets say 2 dollars/euros and the money would go to the winner. (last man standing)

You'd have to set some aside for the gold that goes to and comes from the Inn's stash.

Say you have an initial buy in of your ten coins plus your share of the Inn's stash.
If you get taken out either through drunkenness or by losing your money then your money stays in the game.
If you want to play the next round you have to put in your ten coins from your pocket and half of what you originally put in to the Inn stash. The winner of each round takes their starting gold from the Inn's stash, takes half of the Inn's stash into their pocket (not into their character's ten gold) and leaves the other half of the Inn stash in the Inn.

Play to a set number of rounds, say three or four (just make sure everyone knows how many before playing).
Whoever wins the last round takes the entire Inn stash as their own.

If you want to play another set of rounds then start the entire buy-in process over again.

Quote:
For this to work we would need real games like dices or mayby poker ( I am thinking of texas holdem mayby other forms of poker too?) How about black jack?

I don't really see why you would need "real" games. The sub-game of the gambling round in this game IS a "real" game. You need to bluff and play the right cards just as in any other gambling game. I'd play it as it is out of the box.

Not to mention that there are many cards that affect gambling only that would be totally useless if you played another game along with this. There are also cards which affect gambling as well as other aspects of the game such as ignoring drinks. These would be thrown out of balance by introducing an entirely new game.

Quote:
I think there is even coming official deck of cards this year from slugfeset which allows you to play some kind of cardgames in gambling section of the game. Those would be nice and I would definetly buy those but I think in my own gaming group we would prefer real gambling games!?

These seem like they would definitely work since they are designed to take into account the cards I mentioned above. They should (hopefully!) slip seamlessly into the existing cards without causing gameplay balance issues. Switching games entirely for the gambling round sounds like way more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:
I have not played this game! But my question is with all the cheating cards etc. Is it realistic or even possible to use texas holdem or for example black jack in the gambling section of the game?
How would the cheating cards/game effects excatly work?

Again, I don't think they would work at all. If they were to be made to work it would take a lot of effort to tweak the rules. Seems like way too much effort to change an aspect of the game that needs no changing.

Also, by changing to another game in the middle of this one you would lose the very smooth and fast paced play that this game offers. Once you switch into a gambling round it goes very quickly and easily. If you introduce another game you have to make space for it at the table, shuffle the cards and try to keep track of yet another draw, discard pile and each player has another hand in front of them... Too much trouble! And it would slow the fast pace of this game to a crawl making it drag out way too long for what it is supposed to be.

If you want to gamble with those games then play those games.
If you want to gamble with Red Dragon then play Red Dragon.
Don't mix them.
Bad idea.

I'd say you should absolutely play the game exactly as written before you start to mess around with the rules and play styles. I feel pretty confident you'll discard some of these ideas after having done so for the reasons I have stated.

Quote:
How are these problems solved in that official soon to be released card game?!

No idea.

I'm skeptical, frankly, for the same reasons as above. I'm worried it will slow the game play down too much.

I'm still going to buy it and give it a try though. I'm banking on them being good enough designers to have gotten over this hurdle. They did make the base game into a fantastic time waster, so hopefully the expansion will go well with it.

Have to wait and see though...

Quote:
Ok so also one question which one should I buy red dragon inn 1 or 2? I am playing with only 4 people maximum and at the moment I am leaning towards 2 because clearer rules. Different base colors for drinking deck and better drinking deck than the orginal!

But then again I would not want to play with charracters that 1) can get others to drink too much! (so that the players themselves cant take the alcohol!) 2)can drink so much alcohol that the players cant really keep up!

Does those restrictions limit my options in which version of the game I should buy?

Both sets are almost identical. There are one or two rules clarifications on some cards in the second set but nothing that you'll even notice, really.

Frankly I think the first set has much better characters. Mostly because I think Dimli and Gog are pretty boring. They're fine characters but I don't really like them that much. The humor of Gog gets old quick and he's not that versatile. Dimli is a strong character but he's boring and not very funny unlike all the others.

As for the balance issue between the characters.... Don't worry about this at all! All of the characters, while having their own strengths and weaknesses are VERY well balanced with the others. This should NOT be a factor in which set to buy or which character to play.

Quote:
Bonus question is red dragon inn 1 or 2 the best "take that" type game out there or is for example lunch/beer money or kung fu fighting better?

Head and shoulders above lunch/beer money. No question at all on that one.
I haven't played Kung Fu Fighting so can't speak to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.