Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Hansey
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, does anyone know of any, in print, tactical level Vietnam war games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 ... never played it (possibly as a PC remake?), but ponder it whenever I see it. (Sorry...its company level)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam is still in print, but it can be found on ebay:-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Perni
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elirlandes wrote:
I'm not sure if Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam is still in print, but it can be found on ebay:-

A second edition is on P500 right now

http://www.locknloadgame.com/Section_Cat_Content_Detail.asp?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You're in luck! There is an entire geeklist on the subject:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/7688/

Several, but not all games on the list, are squad level.

Happy hunting!

- as/jz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
While a Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes reprint is on preorder, it is available immediately as a print-and-play for a pretty reasonable price, if you're into all that printing & gluing & cutting & stuff.

How about Firepower? Scenarios usually pit a single squad vs. another with counters for individual soldiers. Long out of print but easy to obtain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With minis, anything is possible!

LRRP extraction!

Lurp ambushed!

Lurps, another view
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riccardo Perni wrote:
elirlandes wrote:

A second edition is on P500 right now

http://www.locknloadgame.com/Section_Cat_Content_Detail.asp?...

I'd recommend L'n'L, too, especially since I've already pre-ordered the 2nd edition...the more orders, the sooner the reprint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a rumoured (hehe) Combat Commander: Vietnam in the works...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
And then there's Fields of Fire. Solitaire card game; includes WWII, Korea, and Vietnam engagements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pity that you're restricting yourself to in-print games. It can't be that hard to find a copy of Grunt or its remake Search & Destroy. They provide a brilliant take on the problems of that conflict that I don't believe has been surpassed by later efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hansey
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cptwacky wrote:
Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 ... never played it (possibly as a PC remake?), but ponder it whenever I see it. (Sorry...its company level)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't mind company level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hansey
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elirlandes wrote:

I'll definitely get this when it's reprinted.
Does anyone know how this compares to ASL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hansey
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
It's a pity that you're restricting yourself to in-print games. It can't be that hard to find a copy of Grunt or its remake Search & Destroy. They provide a brilliant take on the problems of that conflict that I don't believe has been surpassed by later efforts.

I'm not really restricting myself to in-print games its just I've haven't used ebay before and I usually placed orders through a nearby Game store......and I'm really lazy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick what about Fields of Fire? I bought it some time ago but not yet opened...I've got me hands quite full with ASL but, as I'm big time into solitaire gaming, I'm curious about this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smurfy6 wrote:
elirlandes wrote:

Hi,
I'm new to board wargaming and I bought 2 LnL games (WW2, not vietnam, but I assume the gameplay is similar), ATS, and ASLSK (not fullblown ASL). Of the three systems I prefer ASLSK > ATS > LnL. LnL has the nicest components and easy rules, but I found the system a bit light for my taste. of course, imho, ymmv.
IIBC, you can go to the LnL website and print and play a demo?
good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Howard
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNG by Two Hour Wargames. If you dont mind miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm new to board wargaming and I bought 2 LnL games (WW2, not vietnam, but I assume the gameplay is similar), ATS, and ASLSK (not fullblown ASL). Of the three systems I prefer ASLSK > ATS > LnL. LnL has the nicest components and easy rules, but I found the system a bit light for my taste. of course, imho, ymmv.
IIBC, you can go to the LnL website and print and play a demo?
good luck!

I have played Forgotten Heroes. It plays very similar to the original Squad Leader game (not ASL). I prefer it over SL, though. I'm not a huge fan of CRT's and LnL has found a way to conduct combat without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smurfy6 wrote:

As others have pointed out, you can try Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam yourself for free, just by visiting the download site.

I've played ASL and a couple of the LnL demos. How do they compare? Well, LnL is a much lighter game, for one thing--easier to get into, faster and smoother to play. But ASL is "meatier"--it simulates stuff in richer, more complex detail. Other than that, the two games have a very similar feel. They're on the same scale, and they engage your imagination on the nitty-gritty tactical level of modern warfare. Both games are full of surprises too; the unexpected can happen, and it often does.

LnL, being a newer game, has a more modern feel to it: impulse movement, minimal charts, event cards. ASL is more turn-based, has lots of chart checking, and no event cards.

I sold ASL years ago, as I decided it was more than I wanted to deal with. I have yet to buy a full LnL game, but I keep being drawn back to the demos; and one of these days I'll probably break down and make a real purchase.

One thing about LnL that some people like and others dislike is the Spotting rule. Even if you can see enemy units on the map, your units usually can't fire at them unless they pass a spotting roll.

Since you originally asked about Vietnam games, though, I think only LnL covers that war. ASL is all about WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patgarret77 wrote:
Patrick what about Fields of Fire? I bought it some time ago but not yet opened...I've got me hands quite full with ASL but, as I'm big time into solitaire gaming, I'm curious about this one...

Wish I could help, but I haven't bought it (yet). I hear it's very difficult to learn but can be very good and rewarding once you learn it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.