Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: This is madness! No...... This ... is ... ARKHAM!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Just finished (well sort off) a solo game of Arkham Horror.

I picked yig as the AO and Bob Jenkins as my investigator. All I can say is that this game is unbelievably insanely difficult playing with a sole investigator.

Monster surges kicked my ass and the terror track was soon up to 10 which resulted in all stores being closed. The only thing my guy could do after an hour of play was hoping for the occasional clue token to arise in the midst of all the monster madness.

Bob got his ass handed over to him on a silver platter on several occasions and me throwing horrible rolls didn't exactly help. I even became desperate and gave myself a blessing, which still did diddly squat.

Also, it seemed as if I was spending most of my time trying to raise either sanity or stamina by going to their respective recuperating locations. I've read that Dunwich solves this by giving you the option to draw either madness or injury cards, followed by a total and complete recovery at the cost of some negative effect.

That sounds like it would make the game alot better.

Anyhoo, after the terror track reached 10 and the city was overrun by baddies I just stopped cause I failed a personal sanity check!

I'm about to go to Arkham asylum now, see you guys soon. wow

Ralph

ps. this was my third game ever and my first solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One-investigator games have almost no chance to win by seals or closing gates. You pretty much have to win in Final Combat, which is not difficult.

Try controlling 3 investigators. You have much more strategic advantage, and you can win by seals. Final Combat will be a challenge now too, instead of a cakewalk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'll try a game out then with three investigators, although I'm probably going to have a tough time keeping up, mainly due to table space.

You see, I'm playing the game on a table that is 90 cm long and 55 cm broad, which is the exact size (or almost) as the bloody board. All the other stuff, such as tokens and such I have put inside a handy hobby case, which is a plastic box with compartements basically.

The investigator sheets, and ALL the cards are scattered all around the place, on several smaller tables and my couch.

Hrm, I should really get a bigger table, although I don't think it would suit my already small apartment very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get thumbsup from me for the thread title alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jaernecke
msg tools
That sounds like a crazy match, but it also sounds as if you enjoyed it anyway. That's the spirit. Trying a real solo game sounds tempting, if only for a fast laugh at how fast one is likely to get utterly trounced.

I have played five solo games now, all but the first featuring a team of four investigators. For that first game, I went with three and the perceived difficulty really was quite a bit higher. Now, it's possible and in fact quite likely that my inexperience contributed a lot to that! But I'll try my next game with three again for a second impression. With four investigators, I have definitely had a good feeling of being able to keep up with or even on top of things ... for the most part, at least. So I'd say try either three or four. But since your table is cluttered anyway, four may be too much of a pain to keep track of? Even playing on the floor as I am, with plenty of space, I have had a few cases of "Okay, which investigator did this item/trophy/dollar belong to?" as their part of the play area got cluttered with all the stuff they had acquired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can easily change the difficulty by changing the rate at which you draw Mythos cards. You need at least three turns to close a gate, two turns in the Other World, and one turn in Arkham to run to the next gate. Thus, you can either draw one Mythos card every three turn, or not draw one while you are in the Other World.

You're right about the penalty of losing items. It's *much* more severe than anyone gives credit for. An obvious variant is simply to retire any investigator who becomes unconscious or insane -- gives you a chance to play different characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.