Popular Tags: [View All]
Justus Kelloniemi
Finland
Lappeenranta
Etelä-Karjala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first play of Santa Fe Rails, and everything else seems to make sense BUT

Why there is five of both boomtown markers 4 and 5, since on the map there is only three value 2 cities, which can be upgraded to 4? It does not say anywhere in the rules, that you could upgrade value 3 city to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! The rules on p8 under the heading "Boomtown Cards" imply that they expect there to be a shortage of tokens versus eligible places to play them.

I have a very dim recollection of the old White Wind edition of this game Santa Fe. Both games have 3 cities of value 2 and 7 cities of value 3. If I recall correctly the White Wind edition only had 5 double-sided boomtown markers, so each could be used as either a 4 or a 5, hence creating the shortage implied in the rules. Whereas the GMT version has 5 each of value 4 and 5, which gives a shortage of 5's and a surplus of 4's.

It has been a good long while since I last saw the inside of the White Wind version, so perhaps somebody who has a copy could comment for us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.