War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: basic game - 2 newb's. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimi LaForm
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm sure that we're doing something wrong, but, it seems nearly impossible to get the ring towards Mordor.

We have played about 5 games now, and except for one time where we played the Elven rings (we used all 3 in one turn) incorrect and the SP rolled terrible in the hunt, the FP hasn't even come close to winning.

It seems impossible to move the ring due to the hunt. The SP saves 2 die, almost always rolls at least 1, usually 2 or more additional die, and with 3+ rolls the FP can only realistically move once per turn without risk of being caught, then the FP has to waste another character die to hide themselves again. This causes the FP player to use 2 die/turn to just move the fellowship one spot.

As far as military goes the SP just seems to steamroll into MT by T3 at the absolute latest and usually, with judicious use of re-rolls and dropping elites to regular troops MT is almost always dead by T4, from there it is just an easy cake-walk for the SP to knock out Dol Amroth, Rohan etc.

Are we doing things wrong, or, is the basic game just too heavily swayed toward the SP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laform17 wrote:
It seems impossible to move the ring due to the hunt. The SP saves 2 die, almost always rolls at least 1, usually 2 or more additional die, and with 3+ rolls the FP can only realistically move once per turn without risk of being caught, then the FP has to waste another character die to hide themselves again. This causes the FP player to use 2 die/turn to just move the fellowship one spot.

I assume SP has brought in Saruman + WK then, if he's got 3+ Eyes in the Hunt Pool and is still getting dice for military matters?

Leaving that aside, first thing to note is that not all Hunt Tiles have the reveal icon on them. I don't have stats (and too lazy to check), maybe someone has them in a quick-file or something. So a successful hunt doesn't not equal a character die to hide each time. Second, are you doing the Hunt correctly? Don't know what that "3+ rolls" is in relation to. Even with 3 dice, SP still needs a 6 to Hunt successfully. 5+ on the second move. Number of dice doesn't lower the number the SP needs to successfully Hunt, it's always 6+ on the first move, it is merely the amount of dice the SP rolls. I know I try to push the ring 2 moves each turn when possible, even against 3 dice in the pool. 3 dice at 5+ should be a successful Hunt, but not guaranteed (as my experience with Arkham Horror has shown me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the FPP hundreds of times and the SP a few times. I have won with both sides. Actually I have never lost with the SP. After playing the FP side it seems really easy to win with the SP. If the SP is rolling alot of Muster Armies round after round, then the FPP can pretty much pack it up, it will take a matter of a few turns before the SP gets 10 points. For the FP to win, you cannot make a mistake. You must move the fellowship as often as possible. Make it difficult for the SP to get 10 points before the ring gets destroyed. The faster you move the FSP the less time the SP has to get 10 points. Use your companions wisely, let Gandalf die with a 3 tile, use elven rings to take eye tiles out of the games, use the card CHALLENGE OF THE KING after the red eye tile is in play, stay in a FPP settlement as much as you can, if its revealed hide it ASAP, dont let the SP win by playing a bunch of cards to kill he FSP. There is a card called WIND FROM THE WEST, use that for one of two things, either to discard WORN WITH SORROW AND TOIL, or discard WE SHALL GET IT off the table. Those two cards (especially) Worn with sorrow and toil can hurt you bad. Another peice of advice, burn through your strategy deck as fast as possible, thats how you get your reinforcements. Most muster cards will allow you to draw more strategy cards, use those to get your armies up. If you ever want to play online give me holler on AIM (MightyJoeFling) maybe i can give you some ingame pointers to help win as the FPP. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
use elven rings to take eye tiles out of the games

joefling34 wrote:
There is a card called WIND FROM THE WEST, use that for one of two things, either to discard WORN WITH SORROW AND TOIL, or discard WE SHALL GET IT off the table.

Note: These are references to the Expansion.

The game is really pretty well balanced, though the Shadow has a bit of an advantage. I'd recommend giving the rules and FAQ (found on Veldrin's site) another good read to see if there's something you're missing. There are also some strategy articles on Veldrin's site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.