Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D.A. Evosirch
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just purchased CC:E as a birthday present for a gamer friend. We have both been enjoying it greatly as a fun alternative to both Memoir '44 and Tide of Iron.

We are both used to heavier maps and were wondering if it would be worth laminating the double-sided paper maps. Has anyone done this? Any problems with laminating the maps?

Certainly this will prevent storage in the box. Another concern is that the chits may be extra "slippy" on the laminated surface.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play CC, I just slip the map and charts into a cheap poster frame. The kind with the plastic frame edge bits to hold the clear plastic face to the backing. Works wonderfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just been thinking about doing the same thing with my maps.

I just got the 22" x 34" Paths of Glory map laminated. It's also made of paper (much thinner and more fragile than the CC maps) It worked great!

Even though the surface is more "slippery" the chits stay in place better as those creases that the chits like to slide off of are gone.....the map is flat and it looks great.

Well worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.A. Evosirch
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, guys!

Mark -- I have a poster frame exactly like what you mention. I will take it to our game session tomorrow and try it out.

John -- I think we will go for laminating one map and seeing how we feel about it. My opponent is a high school teacher, so he has access to all the fun teacher tools. Thanks for the reply!

I'll post here with the results of the poster plan and the laminate project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just use a sheet of plexiglass and put the map under it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I store my maps unfolded in an artist's portfolio case. When I play the game, I just place the map under plexiglass to play. Protects the maps nicely without the cost (and weight) of laminated maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.A. Evosirch
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Laminated Maps for CC:E -- Now with bonus card case question!
That is the problem with BGG -- ask a question and you get several good answers. Now which one will we choose?

I think we will try the plexi from the poster frame tomorrow and see what we think. The "cost" of laminating is not a factor, so it still may be a possibility.

Thanks again, everyone.

While I have the discussion going, does anyone know the size of the cards? I want to order card cases this afternoon and I'm not sure what to purchase (I don't have the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Standard American Size (2.5" x 3.5") cards in CC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plexiglass is the way to go for me, I find its easier to use and doesnt make the maps all crinkly or slippery like laminating does , they are easier to fold if they are just paper and helps their resale/trade value

Michaels normally has a sale on the poster frames, and Home Depot sells the thicker 1/8th inch ( 3mm) stuff and thats what I used

then again, using a game that has mounted boards is great , the older ASL ones are very well done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with the plexiglass if I were you. Laminate does contain acid which will eventually destroy your map (albeit in 15-20 years, most likely) and it's not reversible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
i would chose plexiglass anytime because it looks better than laminated maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.A. Evosirch
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone. We are going with the plexi solution. I wasn't aware that laminating would eventually destroy the paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.A. Evosirch
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: The plexiglass solution was effective. Thanks everyone.

Now if I could only learn how to shuffle those cards. Nothing like a hand of FOUR Command Confusion cards to start a game off right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, I rather like seeing a fistful of Command Confusion in the opening hand (for most nationalities). Makes the first turn easy (discard) and reduces the likelihood of Command Confusion jamming things up later in the first deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could pose a problem if you are the defender and your opponent takes the first turn. There's nothing worst that the enemy probing for danger, determining all your men and leaders are suffering from a serious hangover, then charging past your fields of fire without a worry in the world! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poster frames work well and allow you to move the game in progress, if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.