Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that expansions have now been separated in our collections on our profile pages, which is a really nice feature. Now that the numbers are easy to get, what percentage of your collection is made up of expansions? Do you tend to like getting new games or stick with what works?

Poll
What percentage of your collection is made up of expansions?
1-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61-70
71-80
81-90
91-100
      72 answers
Poll created by leungd

It looks like my collection is made up of 33% expansions, which seems relatively high to me. I guess once we like a game, I tend to pick up expansions to spice it up. On the other hand, I can now say that my collection is actually much smaller than it seems, so I shouldn't get any grief over getting new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos F.G.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only a few games, but one of them is an expansion but playable without main game. Storm over Scandinavia. I think it isn't bad; more games could be similar. Games that can be played individually or with the main game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing it up. I hadn't noticed that feature yet. I thought I was running around 20% when voting but upon checking I'm probably closer to 22%.

What really astounded me were that my rating for games were lock-step with my rating for expansions. All were within a few tenths of a percent. And with very few exceptions, I only rate games that I own.

For the most part I like new games but there will always be good ones out there that benefit from expansions either for more variety or to actually improve or fix the game. I think as long as I stay below 25% of my total collection as expansions, I'll be happy. Two of my games that come to mind hogging up a lot of expansion credit are Formula De/D and Heroscape. Now I can see where the bulk of my expansions lie.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
leungd wrote:
I saw that expansions have now been separated in our collections on our profile pages, which is a really nice feature

WHOA!! Finally!!! I`ve been requesting this for ages, and have been painstakingly keeping track of the total number of games in my collection without factoring in expansion. This is fantastic!

Anyhow, I have 86 games and 29 expansions, for a total of 115 items. This puts my expansions at exactly 25%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
42 out of 181. Expansions include YINSH, TAMSK, PÜNCT, Carcassonne: H&G and Alexander the Great...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that there are a number of games that are not expansions showing up in the expansions count right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Note that there are a number of games that are not expansions showing up in the expansions count right now.

I also have expansion showing up under my game list.

So I guess it would be approrpiate to say.

Hey you got expansions in my games. Well you got games in my expansions. Game and expansions two great pass times that go great together.

Though I think this is neat idea for a poll I'll hold off answering till this issue is worked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game collection is relatively small, but I own 6 expansions for Carcassonne. That puts me at 7 expansion to 37 base games: 15%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
60 out of 209. Wow! I didn't think it was that much.

Some expansions were included in the box: Carcassonne Big Box, Citadels: Dark City, El Grande: Grandissimo. I also bought a big sheet of Zooloretto expansions at my FLGS that is listed on BGG as four separate expansions.

However, 60 is still a lot. I just didn't realize it was so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
My game collection is relatively small, but I own 6 expansions for Carcassonne. That puts me at 7 expansion to 37 base games: 15%.

Upon closer examination, according to the current way it counts expansions, it looks like I have 24 expansions, but the Carcassonne expansions make up 7 of those. I also split out the separate Settlers of Catan Card Game expansions so that I could rate them separately and overall, which gives another 7, so it's really those two games that make up the bulk of my expansions that I've splurged for.

Weirdly, I don't have any expansions for Alhambra or Thurn and Taxis, even though those are other light games similar to Carc that have a bunch of expansions available. I think for me and my girlfriend, Carc was our first game, so we immediately got a bunch of expansions for it. After the initial splurge, we discovered BGG which showed us all these new games that we had never heard of, but we had to get. I guess I would prefer getting a new game, but I'm always open to expansions to games we really like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My profile shows a total of 81 games and 3 expansions. The fact is that I own 78 games and 3 expansions. So the games owned total includes the expansions as well.

Anyway, my collection currently is roughly 4% expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
51 expansions from 116 games in my collection. M44 and Formula De help skew by ratio to 44%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kelsey
msg tools
Would different versions of Monopoly count as an expansion? (please excuse the ignorance of the new gamer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally an expansion can not be played without the base game. There are however some exception were games that can be played as stand alones can also be used to expand other games. As such there are some grey areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bruce
United Kingdom
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You have zero missing from your poll which is what I consider I have. Strangely BGG considers Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers, India Rails and Zooloretto as expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
40 of my 99-item deep collection are expansions, so 40.4%

That's a little inaccurate, though, as my copy of Runebound (Second Edition) is counted as an expansion, as are stand-alone expansions like Dominion: Intrigue and Under the Shadow of the Dragon which are full games and should, arguably, be counted as such.

That number is inflated a bit by the fact that some of the tiny Carcassonne expansions and Runebound card packs are so cheap that it's really easy to pick up a few of them here and there for next to nothing. Regardless, I do like expanding the games I've already got.

By the by, are most of you counting expansions that come packed in with games? For instance, my copy of Carcassonne came with Carcassonne: The River and Citadels came with Citadels: The Dark City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Would different versions of Monopoly count as an expansion?

From a gaming perspective, I would think not. It's just a different version of the same game, but a complete game in itself. I consider an expansion as something that cannot be played by itself and requires a base game to play.

Also with respect for games showing up under expansion that aren't, I email Aldie on a potential glitch in the expansion system where if you have more than one page (or over 300) of expansions and click onto the next page, your whole collection comes up. Also the fact that certain games area showing up under expansion may have something to do with how the initial entry was made and if there were any errors at that time. If you find any such errors, there's a link to submit corrections on the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.