Subject: even out the racing start and end city selections rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Pirnasch
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always disliked the fact that in the race phase of the game, some cities never come up (and others all the time). That is pure random luck, and you can like it or not, but if you don't like it, here are two alternatives:

1. Draw a 6x6 grid on a scratch paper, rows are tens, columns are ones, and put a slash in a box when a city gets rolled. If it is rolled later again, ignore it and reroll. Once all boxes are filled, game is over. If you want a longer race phase, allow two per city, using a backslash for the second time, so the cell is crossed out now.

Unfortunately, the multiple rerolling gets tedious towards the end, so we deviced another mechanic:

2. Use two different decks of cards, only 1-6 of each, and only six colors (like spades, hearts, diamonds from one deck and the same from the other). Define the colors to match 10s, and the number on the card 1s, so each card designates a city. Shuffle and draw start and end city.
If you want another run through the deck, just reshuffle and use it again.

We have selected cards from an old deck, wrote the city number on it, and just left them in the Dampfross box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments, Will. These are good ideas. People have been playing this game by mail and e-mail for years, and similar ideas are used in those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pirnasch
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Eric.
I was pretty sure we were not the first to come up with these ideas, but not everybody might know them, and they could be useful for newbies to the game, so I collected them here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my rulebook, all those variants you listed (use same die roll result for all players while building / use one die instead of two while building / let each city be start or goal only once or twice per race) were in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pirnasch
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duh. thanks for telling me.
I have the German original from 1983 (where none of it is in the rule book), and played it a zillion times, but I never saw any other version or rulebook. Looks like I'm a bit outdated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.