Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marc, Martin. Tom and I met for a game of TtA. We played the full game. Tom had never played before, and Marin only once, but both quickly assimilated the rules and concepts.

Order of play was Tom, Martin, I and Marc.

Beforehand I decided to go for a developement strategy: get the resources fast up and running, then buy and develop the other stuff, especially buy a lot of military late for maximum impact on end of game culture points.

Initial choices of cards were:
Tom: Hanging Gardens; Martin Julius Caesar and an action card; I took the Pyramids (for the civil action. I considered, I would need a lot of them the get all the cards I needed for fast developement as soon as possible); Marc the Collosus (which I had dismissed due to a bad experience).
Next round Tom took Moses, I got hold of Hamurabi and after the completion of the Pyramids had 6 civil actions available. That allowed me to take any card from the row, like Iron, Irrigation and so on, without slowing my advances. But I severely lacked any source for culture point income.

The game went smoothly, everyone going for a different angle. Marc definitely was after colonies, he developed Cartography, but obviously didn’t get as many colony cards on his own hand, as he liked; according to his silent cursing.
After acquiring Michelangelo early during age I, Tom went for the happy faces, scoring 12 culture per round, whereas I was stuck with a measly 1 per round, Tom and Martin had about 5 to 7. Luckily Marc got St. Peters Cathedral ahead of Tom, otherwise things would have looked really black.

I used the boost from Leonardo to increase my tech income and played a Constitutional Monarchy, thereby increasing my civil actions, already augmented by Law. I could really take all the cards I wanted and hold unto them because of my large hand size. Tom and Martin also got another government, Marc had Law, but couldn’t play his Monarchy, due to lack of tech and then had to discard it at end of age II. But he head acquired 3 colonies, thanks to his bonuses and at last got one suitable for him through his military cards which he put into play via Columbus.
My investment into developing my resources finally paid of: I could take and finish the Kreml and Eiffel Tower in short order.

At the end of Age II Tom had a lead of about 70 Points to Marc and Martin, and at least another 15-20 to me. I didn't record the standings at this point, because I thought the game already won by Tom, at least I wouldn't play any role to take first place.

But now Marc struck: he played James Cook and scored mucho culture.
I used Robespierre to change to Democracy and later played Ghandi, purely for the culture points. The only war happened during age III, it ended with 1 tech point transferred from Martin to Tom, but sincerely hindered Martin in his further development, because of the resources he used to thwart the attack from Tom. But Martin rellay had to, otherwise he could have lost his special technologies.

During age III I took the lead in culture points per round, but I never would have guessed to be able to close the gap to Tom, let alone the now soaring Marc.

But in the last round I augmented my military to 36 (Marc did so as well, I never thought he would be able to) and the end of game events gave me a lot of points.

So final points were: Marc 345, I 342, Tom 312, Martin 249.

Marc’s win is all the more astonishing as he never got past Despotism, only augmented by Law.

So all hail the Tyrant, any liberties and aditional civil actions available are for whimps.

Tom did a very good job for his first game, but he never got past a tech increase of 2 per round. He tried to compensate with action cards, but he never had sufficient tech.
Marc severely suffered from my increased card taking. Nearly everything he wanted to have was taken by me the first time the cards showed up.
Martin had a lot of cards, but I think he didn’t follow a clear strategy but took the cards as they came due to his limited experience with the game.
I lacked an increase in either yellow or blue tokens, the only colony I got was in the very last round, I always had to struggle for workers.

A very interesting game, it took some time, but no one bothered. The first time I looked at the clock, it was already a quarter to midnight.
I’m aching for a replay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a high scoring game!

I remember my worst game ever resulted from a Hammurabi-Pyramids start. I had enough civil actions to choke on, and not enough science/rocks to use them properly. Plus, the number of civil actions encouraged me to take cards into my hand that I then could not play, and thus my hand-limit advantage evaporated. I guess this session report proves that it's possible to go Hamm-Pyr and still thrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exrta CA's? Take those actions cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MysteryMan_007_007 wrote:
Exrta CA's? Take those actions cards.

Right. I think I got into trouble that time because I didn't do enough of that, but also because I over-focused on civil actions to the detriment of other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a pretty high scoring game, but more then a hundred, closer to 150 points came from end of game points for me and Marc.
Military points were always close together, no clear lead, so no aggressions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.