norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the ads here... is this the only time there's been a political ad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is it about the Sarah Palin Political Action Committee that you disagree so much with?

Are you suggesting that it should be banished from the Geek domain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
No there were some McCain ads during the primaries and campaign.

Undoubtedly the OP is a liberal and an example of how polarized politics are here in the states. Edit: Not to demean or attack your opinion Casey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdheinrich wrote:
This is supposed to be the page for INTELLIGENT gamers, that add does not fit with this site.

Yes, this page is for intelligent gamers, like those who know the difference between ad and add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sarah Palin is just about the best thing that has ever happened to me in politics. She almost singlehandedly won my choice the Presidency in the last election. And, I hope she can get her act together again to make sure my choice gets re-elected. Heck, I'd like to pick a few dozen races around the country for her to run in so I can get the proper political persuasion into office.

So, rock on Sarah. You're doing a great job in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cdheinrich wrote:
I expect to see ads for board gamers.

As an Independent, any political ad is a turn off for me so they must be for others.

I believe that the Geek domain uses some advertisements that are generated by words on the specific page. So political discussions can generate political advertisements. I do not think that it is inappropriate that users see advertisements from dissidents.

There's only so much advertisement that can be generated from boardgames.

cdheinrich wrote:
But, my dislike for SP is no secret.

You've been very secret about it so far and you've only expressed yourself emotionally.

What exactly do you dislike about Sarah Palin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without getting into the merits of Sarah Palin or her PAC, it kinda surprises me that her PAC's ad would show up on a site like BGG. I've seen it elsewhere, but on political blogs and newspaper sites where such an ad makes more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burzum wrote:

cdheinrich wrote:

You've been very secret about it so far and you've only expressed yourself emotionally.

Whatever the answer, it is probably most appropriate for RSP (Religion, Sex, Politics), not here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Whatever the answer, it is probably most appropriate for RSP (Religion, Sex, Politics), not here.

I suspect that it doesn't belong in here in the BoardGameSpeak forum anyway and the original post was political to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
[sarcasm]

I totally hear you. I was sooooooo pissed the other day when the program I was watching ran a commercial for SOMETHING I DIDN'T WANT TO BUY! Can you believe the audacity? Anyone that is presenting something to me free of charge has no right to receive money from an organization that displeases ME somehow.

[/sarcasm]

Seriously, donate to the site to not have to put up with ads, or stop complaining.

cdheinrich wrote:
I expect to see ads for board gamers.

As an Independent, any political ad is a turn off for me so they must be for others. But, my dislike for SP is no secret. I understand that 25% of the US population thinks she is great.

As for 'ad' vs. 'add', a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering did not vaccinate me against typo's. It just implies my strength is Calculus not grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
cdheinrich wrote:
Okay I always disabled Adblocker on BGG... until today. I went to the homepage and saw "DONATE TO SARAH PALIN PAC" angry. That was enough to ruin my normally great BGG experience. This is supposed to be the page for INTELLIGENT gamers, that add does not fit with this site.

Don't leave us hanging. Did you donate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wifwendell wrote:
Burzum wrote:

cdheinrich wrote:

Shouldn't this thread already be in RSP?

Personally, I'll take the "glass half full" attitude that politicians think of American gamers as an important enough market to target, even in an internet ad.

If Palin actually knows what BGG is, my opinion of her increases dramatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
What's an ad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Ads appear to be targeted to specific users.
Or is that to geaographic regions?
I get frequent Muslim marriage service ads.
I have not yet figured out why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think discussing the presence of this ad on BGG is legit - wouldn't have RSP'd it myself unless the thread became predominantly a discussion of Palin and her politics, etc. Logged on this morning and seeing LOTS of Sarah PAC ads. To me, it's just curious that Google Ads would send Sarah PAC to BGG. Maybe they're just really hitting the whole interwebs hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
cdheinrich wrote:
This is the first time I've seen a political add at BGG. It is almost always 100 percent board games or online game ads

FYI:

ADD is a math term.

AD is the abbreviation for advertisement

This is why it's called adblocker. Maybe there ought to be an "addblocker" for forum posts and the like, but until that happens...

You cannot pretend to be taken seriously when you make that mistake. It's akin to my sister calling the curb the "curve" because it was curved as it passed around the corner of our lot.

It makes you sound Palinesque...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you object to all political ads appearing here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthXaos wrote:
This gives me an idea....

"Palinvony".

Nuff said.

"Vote Now, my lord."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdheinrich wrote:
I personally object to all political adds here. But, apparently I am the only one.

So why wasn't your header " Addblocker on BGG vs. Political Ads," in the first place? If it had been an ad for a PAC you supported, would you have raised such a stink? From the ad hominem attacks on Palin herself, I doubt it.

Your (now) neutral displeasure of "any political adds (sic)" seems opportunistic and hypocritical.

And really... after all the crap you took about spelling, you still can't get it right?

Just my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add a pancake to Sarah Palin's head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cdheinrich wrote:

Quote:

Uffe, just answering your question, not belaboring the topic. I feel she completely lacks curiosity about the world around her, she ran for an office that was way beyond her capabilities, is unapologetic for her ignorance of domestic and foreign affairs, and she always shows up to a 'battle of wits' unarmed. I feel there are other republicans who are supremely more intelligent and qualified for a national office than she is. Just my opinion.

Sounds almost exactly like my opinion of Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdheinrich wrote:
I love this site and thought it would be more enjoyable for BGG fans if 50 percent of BGG users didn't feel the need to gouge out their eyes when they logged on. Which 50% depends on which political figure would be pictured.

Or which set of titties, which a significant percentage of users enjoy without poking out their eyes. Your answer is in your own biases: just because you don't want to see it doesn't mean you should be able to prevent me from doing so. I think this site would be more enjoyable if there were no threads moaning about ads/images, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdheinrich wrote:
Well, it gave a bunch of republicans a chance to insult me because of MY bias, so apparently it is no loss.

Not to sound childish, but YOU are the one who started flinging crap. YOU insulted people and are now whining because they hit back.

Do you play games like this? Let's hope not.

And just to keep you straight, I'm not a republican. I stopped identifying myself with either of the two major parties when it became clear that the only difference between them was which of my rights they wanted to take away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdheinrich wrote:
I personally object to all political adds here. But, apparently I am the only one.

No, I am sure you are not the only one.

However, you do seem to be the only one who has suffered great levels of righteous indignation because you actually had to see a picture of a person you personally despise.

From my understanding, many of the non-game advertising banners are computer generated via an agreement between Google Inc and Boardgamegeek, LLC. Take it up with Derk.

Or, do yourself (and us) a favor - either gouge out your eyes to avoid seeing things you consider offensive, or pony up $25 to the site and turn on adblocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
cdheinrich wrote:
Well, it gave a bunch of republicans a chance to insult me because of MY bias, so apparently it is no loss.

Not to sound childish, but YOU are the one who started flinging crap. YOU insulted people and are now whining because they hit back.

Do you play games like this? Let's hope not.

And just to keep you straight, I'm not a republican. I stopped identifying myself with either of the two major parties when it became clear that the only difference between them was which of my rights they wanted to take away.

Woot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.