Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: First Eight Games -- 0-7-1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Defeated Shudd M'ell in final combat.

Deep One Rising track filled three times, AO awakened by full doom track twice and seven open gates awakened AO three times.

Mythos phases: 13/16/13/12/11/10/8/6

The first four games, I didn't fully read the herald sheet(Father Dagon) and didn't pull two Mythos cards.

The last two games resulted in seven open gates. In the seventh game, No One Could Help Me At Any time from the second round (third Mythos card). Luckily enough, the eighth Mythos card was finally another Environment. Too little, too late. Had two investigators waiting to seal, but didn't want to close, as they were at Indy Square and Unvisited Isle, two hotspots.

Have to admit that between games three and five, I was getting a little irritated; but got over it for the last three and went with the flow.
Horrendous die rolling, inopportune encounters and both conditions of the DOR track triggering consistently (twice two times on one turn in one of the games) doomed me to ignominous failure.

Had a chance to bring the Feds into Innsmouth three times. Once, Wendy was drawn into the OW from Marsh Refinery, just as she was about to go to Falcon Point to call them in and the other two times were in the last two games. Just ran out of time.

Hopefully came away with a little better knowledge, and maybe the random AO's won't be so brutal next time.

Typical of the sentient nature of Arkham, had proto shoggoths and/or shoggths show up in Innsmouth consistently, including three of one or the other in one turn, what with gates and "release monsters" into a street location Mythos phase.

Had quite a few monsters show up in Devil Reef and immediately step into vortex.

Will have to experiment with using Mandy's and Patrice's special abilities, depending on AO, to get more balance back into the game.
Don't want to tilt it too far in the other direction, but don't want to fiddle with too many house rules, either.

Screwed Daisy Walker big time. Thought that an encounter at Falcon Point was necessary before spending money to move to a different water location. She wasted three turns going through crates washed up on the shore and never got anything but delayed. The fourth time, she hitched a ride with a friendly fisherman, only to have the boat capsize.

Finally read the special ability and got her out of there.

These were hard games from a solo stand-point; i.e., failing sanity check x4.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play with Heralds each time? Only played twice with Innsmouth myself (no Herald), but we're 1-1 so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
The Herald was Father Dagon, +1 to Deep One Rising track at game-start and draw two mythos cards on first phase. Since the DOR track reached max three times, that shortened my time a little.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a pretty bad time of Innsmouth too for awhile. Mostly it was getting used to the DOR clock. I only played Innsmouth and base game with only Innsmouth and base monsters--usually with 3 or 4 players. I figured once I started beating it, if I did, I'd add a herald. I am probably up to 50/50 now (doing better with solo games rather than groups).

IMO, Innsmouth is the most balanced expansion from FFG when played with just the board and the base game. A couple of the investigators give a better than 50/50 edge for me, especially Patrice, Silas and Roland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.