Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: A pox be upon me! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A pox damn you, you muddy rascal, is that all the comfort you give me?
Henry IV Part 2, 2. 4

All right, which one of you cursed me? Someone is responsible for giving me this Chicken Pox!

I had Chicken Pox as a kid, too. Woke up with it one Christmas morning.

Worst. Christmas. Ever!

I thought that meant immunity for life, but apparently that's false. My doctor says he's seen about a dozen cases just like this over the past couple weeks. All mild, almost subclinical, Chicken Pox outbreaks in adults who've had the disease before. Thank goodness I didn't get the painful, more common variation most adults get: Shingles!

Nope, I just look like a pimply kid right now.

Second childhood time, I guess.

13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercutio says what?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Mercutio says what?


A plague o' both your houses,
They have made worms' meat of me.

Romeo and Juliet, III, i

Often misquoted as "A pox on both your houses".

My favorite, though, is...

Thou wilt quarrel with a man for cracking nuts, having no other reason but because thou hast hazel eyes.
Romeo and Juliet, III, i

Yep, me likes a good nut crackin' quote!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself belong to the House of Carpaccio.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Thank goodness I didn't get the painful, more common variation most adults get: Shingles!

I had shingles a few years ago. Nasty. I don't wish that on anyone.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
I had shingles a few years ago. Nasty. I don't wish that on anyone.

I had it in my eye. OMG! Yup, consider yourself lucky, Diane!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's to your quick recovery!! Chicken pox is GROSS!!! I also had it as an adult--the full-blown. Yuck!!

Well, you have an excuse to laze around in the bath all day!!

Seriously, take care of yourself, especially at night. I would be fine all day and then spike a 102 fever as soon as it was dark.

Rest up and don't scratch!!!

Love & kisses well wishes!!

Mrs. Mystery Bob

MMB
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

soblue

I guess there's some new strain out there that having chicken pox as a kid doesn't give you immunity against.

Unfortunately, if you have had chicken pox, you're likely to get shingles when you're older. You get the same virus that you had as a kid -- it has laid dormant in your nerve cells until your immune system is very weak. Then it reactivates. Because of the association with nerves, it is indeed painful.

Hope you get better soon. Did you get some calamine lotion and dot yourself pink?

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Did you get some calamine lotion and dot yourself pink?


Tell me again... Polka dots are stylish, right?


Those are not my legs, sorry.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to add that for me, the itching was awful and the calamine, caladryl, etc. didn't seem to work and I kept dunking myself in the tub. What finally worked was an anti-itch lotion.

Good luck and make sure Paul takes care of you!!!
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps at all, I got stung in the armpit today. Twice.

Stupid bees.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For the, ahem, older ChitChatters, a vaccine exists to prevent shingles. For whatever reason, this fact is not well-publicised.
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
If it helps at all, I got stung in the armpit today. Twice.

Stupid bees.


Stupid? I'll have you know I trained those bees, and they were the quickest studies I ever taught.
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aw, Diane, that's awful! But, I'm so glad you didn't get shingles.

My memory of chicken pox as a kid was waking up in the morning with my rabbit fur mittens on. I was absolutely bewildered, how did I get mittens on my hands??? My mom put them on me in the night so I wouldn't itch myself!

I've heard, (and, honestly, I don't know if this really works or not because I haven't tried it) but.. I've heard that if you soak in the hottest water you can stand that the itching will stop for a period of time afterwards, maybe long enough to get to sleep.

Take care of yourself!!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
I had Chicken Pox as a kid, too. Woke up with it one Christmas morning.

Worst. Christmas. Ever!


I came down with mine on Easter morning, and Easter was a big family day for us, too.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diane, I never would have guessed you for a Silver Apples fan.

Sorry, about the poxy revisit.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Diane, I never would have guessed you for a Silver Apples fan.


If you like electronic music (the Theremin!), and romantic comedies, be sure to seek out the Canadian film Les aimants/Love & Magnets.

My knowledge of the subject comes about indirectly. Paul (too_close) took a class in electronic music in university. He thought it was going to be all about computers and midi, but it was all Silver Apples and Theremins instead.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
For the, ahem, older ChitChatters, a vaccine exists to prevent shingles. For whatever reason, this fact is not well-publicised.


What I wanna know is how the vaccine keeps the herpesvirus that is Varicella from reactivating. Which is what causes the outbreak to begin with. It is only 50% effective, so they are not doing that great a job at preventing reactivation.

I shall ponder that when I am not pondering my own herpes virus research.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
For the, ahem, older ChitChatters, a vaccine exists to prevent shingles. For whatever reason, this fact is not well-publicised.


What I wanna know is how the vaccine keeps the herpesvirus that is Varicella from reactivating. Which is what causes the outbreak to begin with. It is only 50% effective, so they are not doing that great a job at preventing reactivation.

I shall ponder that when I am not pondering my own herpes virus research.
Me and you both. Zoster reactivates due to a loss of cell-mediated immunity (T-cells), while the vast majority of vaccines work by boosting antibodies (B-cells). But what do I know, I'm just an idjit. Where's that nose-picking emoticon? Durrr...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Toggy wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
For the, ahem, older ChitChatters, a vaccine exists to prevent shingles. For whatever reason, this fact is not well-publicised.


What I wanna know is how the vaccine keeps the herpesvirus that is Varicella from reactivating. Which is what causes the outbreak to begin with. It is only 50% effective, so they are not doing that great a job at preventing reactivation.

I shall ponder that when I am not pondering my own herpes virus research.
Me and you both. Zoster reactivates due to a loss of cell-mediated immunity (T-cells), while the vast majority of vaccines work by boosting antibodies (B-cells). But what do I know, I'm just an idjit. Where's that nose-picking emoticon? Durrr...


Given that it stops the virus from reactivating, or at least suppresses it once it's been reactivated, I'd say 50% effectiveness is pretty good!

BTW, for those of you with small children, or who haven't had the chicken pox yet, there's a vaccine to prevent you from getting it in the first place now! Get it at a doctor's office near you!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicken pox sucks. You should avoid getting it if you can. The virus never leaves your body. If you had a mild case a s a kid, you can get them again as an adult. You will always be at risk for getting shingles. Yes, there is a vaccine.

My father got shingles on his head, and then got what they call "post-herpetic neuralgia." That means he had phantom nerve pain for months afterwards. There is no treatment for the itch/nerve pain. You can put a lidocaine patch on the girdle type or on your legs, but it doesn't work on the head kind. It can also cause scarring on the eye and loss of vision. Although Dad went immediately for eye treatment, he still had some minor damage.

Diane, don't scratch, and be careful when washing and dressing. The blister scabs can still leave pock marks if brushed off.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Given that it stops the virus from reactivating, or at least suppresses it once it's been reactivated, I'd say 50% effectiveness is pretty good!
This was my take on it also. 50% ain't great, but it's better than nothing! As June writes about above, post-herpetic neuralgia SUCKS. It's a big quality-of-life ruiner in the elderly. I'm queueing up for my injection when I turn 60 (note to self: tell parents to get the shot).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
amwiles wrote:
Given that it stops the virus from reactivating, or at least suppresses it once it's been reactivated, I'd say 50% effectiveness is pretty good!
This was my take on it also. 50% ain't great, but it's better than nothing! As June writes about above, post-herpetic neuralgia SUCKS. It's a big quality-of-life ruiner in the elderly. I'm queueing up for my injection when I turn 60 (note to self: tell parents to get the shot).


Just playing Devil's Advocate: Perhaps 50% is better than nothing. But wouldn't this vaccine also give a false sense of security?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
amwiles wrote:
Given that it stops the virus from reactivating, or at least suppresses it once it's been reactivated, I'd say 50% effectiveness is pretty good!
This was my take on it also. 50% ain't great, but it's better than nothing! As June writes about above, post-herpetic neuralgia SUCKS. It's a big quality-of-life ruiner in the elderly. I'm queueing up for my injection when I turn 60 (note to self: tell parents to get the shot).


Just playing Devil's Advocate: Perhaps 50% is better than nothing. But wouldn't this vaccine also give a false sense of security?
I don't think so, because there is no other controllable risk on the part of the patient. In other words, the reactivation of shingles happens as people age (not controllable) or with some systemic illnesses (not controllable). So it's not as if the behavior of someone who has been immunized will differ from the non-immunized. Another way of saying it is that there is no way to intentionally place yourself at an increased risk of shingles (short of intentionally getting AIDS, I guess).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.