Formula D» Forums » General

Subject: Laps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the recommended number of laps in order to take advantage of Pit Stops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found with a two lap race you can more often than not skip the pits. With a three lap race almost everyone will pit at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play with the 3 lap race then since I want to take advantage of the pit stops.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
2 laps is just fine to use the pits. If you are finishing the first lap without too much damage, you may not be pushing hard enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb is if I don't think my car is going to survive the next lap, then I will pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how many laps do they normally do in real life racing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if it is a fixed number, but way more than three! Way, way more meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

Depends on the track and depends on the race.

For Example:
The Indy 500 is 200 laps. (500 Miles)
The Allstate 400 at The Brickyard (NASCAR, same track) is 160 laps (400 miles)
The Monaco F1 race is 78 laps (421 miles)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
grahamj wrote:

Depends on the track and depends on the race.

For Example:
The Indy 500 is 200 laps. (500 Miles)
The Allstate 400 at The Brickyard (NASCAR, same track) is 160 laps (400 miles)
The Monaco F1 race is 78 laps (421 miles)

Yeah. I've watched a few Formula One/Grand Prix races (or parts of them) on TV, and it seems to me that they were all upwards of 50 laps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miklos Lipcsey
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula 1 races are mainly 300km in length OR 2 hours long (depending which happens first (Back in the 1950s when there was co-drivers it was 400km or 3 hours).

To calculate the number of expected laps, it is simply 300 km / (distance of circuit in km).

However, some circuits are an exception due to it's over physical nature or if they were very slow. Monaco is a case in point. 78 laps x 3.340 km laps distance = 260.52 km. Before they put in the swimming pool before the early 1970s, it used to be a 100 lap event (I think the track back then was 3km long exactly - please correct me if i'm wrong).

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

If you mean Formula 1 racing it is usually ~300km, except for the Monaco circuit where the distance is only ~250km. Therefore, the number of laps depends on the course. At Monaco the F1 races run close to 80 laps!
Many more laps than the Formula D 3 lap races...thinking of running an 80 lap Monaco Formula D?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if there was some way to scale down a real race to fit a game of Formula D, or go for a world record of the longest Formula D game
ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Stig
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To handle a marathon event you'd need to increase wear points, and reduce the chances for engine/body damage. Another option would be a ruleset to allow cars to be "nursed" or towed to the pits in the event of failure. The player would end up restarting out of the pits, maybe one round after the last car passes them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stig wrote:
To handle a marathon event you'd need to increase wear points, and reduce the chances for engine/body damage. Another option would be a ruleset to allow cars to be "nursed" or towed to the pits in the event of failure. The player would end up restarting out of the pits, maybe one round after the last car passes them.

Increase all WP and repair points. Limit overshooting to 5 spaces per turn. Any more and you spin. If you don't limit overshooting and have (say) 20 tire WP you would get crazy racing and frequent pitting I would guess.

To limit possibility of damage you could replace the black d20 with a d30 and that would reduce chance of damage.
But I don't think you need to reduce the possibility of damage by a lot. The cars doesn't take abuse any better just because the race is longer. Just add more WP.

But I like the idea of being able to "limp" to the pit. Maybe in second gear? And say fixing the chassis take 10 turns and dampers takes 15 turns or something like that?

I think playtime could actually run quite high with 78 laps on Monaco.(1 hour to the lap= racing weekend)

I think a better idea would be to have 24 hour races. We need a large Le Mans track now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.