Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules: "Darkness is a billowing shapeless mass of pure Evil! If you can hit it with a shot from your Laser-Lance or the blast from the Implosion Waistcoat it will be destroyed but otherwise it is invulnerable" (emphasis mine)

Does this mean that Darkness cannot be defeated in HTH combat? If so, is his HTH combat rating just there to force you after your first aimed shot to go through the motions until you can try for a lucky shot with the Laser-Lance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I have only ever beaten the so-and-so with the Lazer-Lance.
Boy, I sure would love to know if h-t-h could even finish him off angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the laser lance can kill him, there is also a way to draw...some way of blowing yourself up, can't quite remember but it is an item of equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, a more thorough read of the rules revealed the answer: you do go through HTH combat, but:

Quote:
If your opponent is Darkness you have managed to hold it off; you may go to 10 and try a lucky shot, or add 30 seconds and continue the fight by returning to 6.

And since he is unbeatable in HTH combat, there is no point returning to 6 - you can only get another chance to defeat him via a lucky shot. At least the lucky shot has better odds of success than the regular aimed shot - a 1 in 6 chance to kill Darkness plus a 1 in 6 chance to attempt a normal shot at 1 in 12 odds.

Seems that Darkness is near impossible to beat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

He can be beaten.
First few times I thought there must be something wrong with my interpretations of the rules, but I stuck it out and killed him (without blowing myself up).

It depends on luck,the way the cards turn up and the strength of the enemies you have to beat before you get to him .If you get to the evening stack of cards and he appears nearer the top than the bottom of the deck....you might have more time and energy to blast him to Kingdom come.

The only thing is, once I did beat him, I put the game away for quite a while before returning to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
col_w wrote:
Ok, a more thorough read of the rules revealed the answer: you do go through HTH combat, but:

Quote:
If your opponent is Darkness you have managed to hold it off; you may go to 10 and try a lucky shot, or add 30 seconds and continue the fight by returning to 6.

And since he is unbeatable in HTH combat, there is no point returning to 6 - you can only get another chance to defeat him via a lucky shot. At least the lucky shot has better odds of success than the regular aimed shot - a 1 in 6 chance to kill Darkness plus a 1 in 6 chance to attempt a normal shot at 1 in 12 odds.

THIS had never occurred to us (me and my son) because I routinely advised against using lucky shots. They appeared to me to be more trouble than they were worth. Given we are both presently looking at Darkness near the top of the 2nd deck (9yr olds tend to be blessed that way), mystified by its handtohand rating and with only two shots left on the old laser lance (Slime prior)...this advice is just what we needed.

Plus we also have the Implosion Waistcoat (well he did roll a 6 (+2) for maximum equipment at the start)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can some please point me to where it's said how to kill darkness with the lance? That is how much I have to roll. In the computer game darkness does not appear on the lance card and there is no number. Is there a number on the card in the physical game? Or is it somewhere in the rules? If so which page? Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.