Popular Tags: [View All]
George Blichar
United States
Lansing
N/A
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unpredictability.

That is the basic concept behind ANY game of Fluxx, despite the version you end up playing. The rules, goals, and variables are constantly changing, to give every player a chance at winning. Sounds fun, right? "I really have a chance of winning this thing, no matter what I do and who doesn't like zombies?"

Honestly, this game almost made me hate zombies. "uuuuughhhhhhhhh..." (there is a rule where you need to make a zombie noise)

Gameplay

You start with 5 cards, but if any of your initial cards are zombies, you place those in front of you and draw enough to bring you back up to 5. The initial rules are "Draw 1, Play 1" from the deck in the middle, but this never gets around the table, because someone always changes the rule to draw or play more. You follow the current rules (i.e.: Draw 4, play ALL), all in hopes of completing the goal that someone needs to play a Goal card to find out.

There are 5 types of cards in the game, allowing different things to happen at every turn; Action, Goal, New Rule, Keeper, and Creepers(Zombies). Actions allow you to do random things like "choose a player to steal cards from" or "gather up all the Keepers and Creepers and shuffle them, and deal them out again, randomly". Goals change the goal and can even let the Zombies win. New Rules change how the entire game is played. If one card, say Draw 5, is played, it negates the last "Draw #" card that was in play. Same thing applies to the "Hand Limit" and "Play" cards. Keepers are good things you play in order to complete the goal while Creepers are usually Zombies you need to kill before you can win. You can kill off your Zombies, depending on if you have an effective Keeper. There are different types of zombies that do different things when you kill them, and certain Goals allow you to win with them.

Someone wins when their Keeper/Creeper combo meets the Goal stipulations.

Cons

This game is WAY TOO random. There is really no strategy or purpose to speak of because everything you are working towards could easily be scrapped in the very next turn. The Action I mentioned above, with the Keeper/Creeper roundup, ALWAYS gets played to groans. You just can't anticipate anything and it is ridiculously frustrating to lose any ground you feel like you might have made. There is never really any tension that you might win because usually someone randomly plays a Goal and instantly wins from what they just picked up.

The timing can never be gauged. You could conceivably win the game on your first turn which, happily, would defeat the purpose of playing in the first place. Conversely, you can be sitting there with some people having 20 cards in their hand, trying to read every one of them, and everyone groaning because the stupid game won't end. I think that game we played, the Zombies ended up winning too. It was NOT fun, but a waste of time.

Pros

Some people just love Zombies, Monty Python, Christianity, Judaism, or whatever other themes they have for Fluxx. I guess you can have fun on that front, but like I mentioned at the beginning, this version made me start to hate zombies... then I read myself some of The Walking Dead and felt better... ahem...

Sticking to the Pros, the "Moan like a Zombie" rule is at least entertaining for a bit. This rule makes you moan like a Zombie anytime you pick a Zombie. There are things like this in the Monty Python version, singing songs or talking in a silly accent. Smirks happen, given the weak or strong moans some people give.

If you just enjoy random, unpredictable games, this is definitely one.

Final Thoughts

I won't sugar coat it for you; I hate this game. It is endearing for maybe 10 minutes until you realize there is no rhyme or reason to it and you are wasting your time trying to find any. I have played this about 4 or 5 times with my friends and I refuse to play it any more at this point. The frustration felt when nothing you do makes a bit of difference is terrible.

I can't say if the random "I win" moments that happen are like being sucker punched or a bit of happiness that the game is finally over. The second to last time we played, people in the group actually said, "let's play again, maybe the next game will be better." I'm sorry, but every game sucked.

Maybe some kids will like this, but just stay away from ANY Fluxx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still trying to find the appeal of Fluxx if booze isn't involved, and even then I have my doubts.

I bought the Monty Python version with hope in my heart and after the initial amusement wore off, I kind of wished that I'd never heard of Monty Python.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Pirilla
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing to keep in mind with Fluxx, in all its flavors, is that it's a 5-10 minute filler.

We pull it out either between strategically dense games or at the end of a long game night for a quick laugh, and it works well at that.

Just remember, if you're trying to win, you're playing it wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schensted
United States
Lakefield
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx definitely isn't for everyone. There is something truly wonderful about the mindless action of this game for me anyways. Thanks for your review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But booze makes anything fun, right? RIGHT???robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.