Subject: Chapayev—Flicking Fun For Free rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapayev is a flicking dexterity game of Russian origin that is played on a smooth checkerboard. It's easy, accessible, fun, and really cheap.

Rules
Each player takes eight pieces each and lines them up along their back row. Players take turns trying to knock all of their opponent's pieces off while keeping their own on the board. If a player fails to knock off one or more opponent pieces during a turn or if the player knocks any of his own pieces off, play passes to the other player.

Once all of the pieces of one color are removed from the board, the surviving player wins that round. The players reset the pieces on the board, but the winner of the previous round starts one row closer to the opponent and flicks first the next round. As the rounds pass, the players will get closer to one another until they meet face-to-face. From this point forward, when one color advances, the other is pushed back. The first player to reach the opponent's first row wins the game.

Opinion
The game is very accessible considering that it doesn't require any specialized equipment--a plain-Jane checkerboard is all you need (granted, a folding cardboard board won't work well, but still...) Flicking experts might not have such an advantage considering that players may stand and move around the table to get the best angle and, if you're playing on a normal-sized checkerboard, there simply isn't a such thing as a long shot.

There are a couple of concerns, though. Playing on a regular checkerboard as in the pictures, the pieces easily go flying off the table in any direction and require lots of picking up.

We tried it on the until-now-unused checkerboard printed on my "American" Carrom board, and the pieces stayed on the board, of course, but they quite frequently bounced back hard into the board disrupting the existing layout. That became unacceptable in addition to the new problem of deciding if a piece is off the "board" or not (is it half-off? almost half-off?)

Playing on a board with a definite edge for the pieces to fall off of is for sure the best way to go. You could either just deal with all the picking up, or you could roll up some hand towels to place around the board to rig up a sort-of Crokinole ditch.

Verdict
I think Chapayev is a good scratch for the flicking itch if you don't have other options, and I think it can be great fun for kids if you don't want to buy Sorry! Sliders. Probably no one is going to choose this over Crokinole or Carrom, but it should still be an option for flicking fans wanting a quick fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Mejor Juego de la Vida
Chile
Santiago
Region Metropolitana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your review. I will try it tomorrow with my nephews,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is little things like this that make BGG so excellent. I am a crokinole fan .... but this looks like a very quick (and neat) way of scratching the itch, as you say, and I shall definitely give it a try. Its simplicity and accessibility make it quite charming. Thanks for a great post Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. Have fun.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What a discovery! Played this with my 5 year old and we had lots off fun - got the 2 year old to pick up pieces off the floor :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.