5 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 12 player game at Gencon: how does it work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Marks
Australia
flag msg tools
Just wondering if Mike Z is about or if anyone here has played the 12-player game at Gencon since the expansion came out.

What rules are played with/have been in previous years? I've found a pre-expansion setup in the Files but post-expansion presumably we'd play with at least 12 different strategy cards.

Cheers,

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
I played in the game in 2007, but even though the expansion was out Mike had not yet incorporated it.

If I remember right, there were two copies each of Diplomacy, Logistics, Warfare, and Technology, numbered 2A, 2B, 4A, 4B, etc. for turn order purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We're having a 12 player game for Halloween and we have already set up logistics.

You'll need another TI base set to spray paint 4 different colors. Though I'm sure you've already figured this one out.

As far as strategies go, after countless games we have created 4 custom Strategy Cards that don't overlap the previous 8 and are numbered in Initiative from 9-12. If you would like to know what we use, I'd be happy to share them.

In the GenCon game they used the same planets over and over again. With the extra base set I purchased, I browsed online for custom planet images and super-glued them onto the cardboard. For the best gaming experience, I suggest you do the same and make additional tile hexes.

As far as galaxy placement, I HIGHLY recommend you set up the map pre-game or forfeit 2 hours of gaming. For our Halloween game we decided to have a multi-galaxy map similar to the pre-set one on FFG's main site except with three 4-man galaxies with the Mecatol galaxy in a center galaxy between the three. You will need C wormholes which are very available online if you need the images.

Any other questions feel free to ask. Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I don't use the expansion in the 12 player Gencon game.

The biggest difference between the other 12 player versions and mine is that I use 6 sets of TI3 to build the map.

It is currently 7 rows or 169 hexes. A standard TI3 game is 3 rows, or 37 hexes.

I would like to get the game back up to its 8 row glory; however, I keep running out of room. The TI3 hexes are bigger than the TI1/TI2 hexes. Gencon just doesn't give me a big enough table! I'd also need to get another 2 copies of TI3 or 2-3 copies of SE to have enough hexes for the 8th row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
jss05a wrote:

In the GenCon game they used the same planets over and over again.

Well, considering that there are 132 additional tiles, it simply isn't feasible to create new planets and cards. It is a lot of extra work that doesn't add any additional value to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.