John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow geeks I thought I would share with you that I have just completed a 14 week stint on Jury service. It certainly was interesting and a very different experience than I expected.

It was a big case which took a lot of time. we saw over 100 witnesses before coming to our verdict. I was witha bunch of non-gamers, but I soon got them playing games at lunch time. Only quick light stuff like No Thanks, Say Anything and Hey That's my Fish.

If anyone is interested in the case the story is here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8156246.stm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like quite the story. Hope you weren't sequestered during that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
No we went home at night. In fact court hours were generally 10:15 to 16:15, so I'm going to find it hard doing those 'long' hours back at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... 14 weeks... I've been called for Jury Service twice, and didn't have to serve either time. I can't decide if that's 14 weeks off work, or 14 weeks extra work... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have found him guilty of intimidation based solely on the way he looks.

Wow, interesting case. If you don't mind my asking, what is "redundancy cash"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
A payment given to someone who has been made redundant from their job. I don't know if you call it redundancy in the States, it means you loose your job because the job is not required any more and is not your fault. So you would receive a payment usually based on the length of time you have done the job.

We thought he was probably guilty of intimidation as well, but the only two witnesses were unreliable and the Judge had given clear instructions that if we could not be certain of the decision that we must find him not guilty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
I first thought it was about Geekmod, but then I read the article, and found that it was merely regular scandal, intimidation, fraud and rampant deceit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
No we went home at night. In fact court hours were generally 10:15 to 16:15, so I'm going to find it hard doing those 'long' hours back at work.

How do I get to be on an English jury?

To understand your system do you get paid by the courts commensurate to your normal pay, paid a stipend by the courts with the possibility that the difference is made up by your employer, or some other method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
A payment given to someone who has been made redundant from their job. I don't know if you call it redundancy in the States, it means you loose your job because the job is not required any more and is not your fault. So you would receive a payment usually based on the length of time you have done the job.

Sounds like what we would call severance pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
To understand your system do you get paid by the courts commensurate to your normal pay, paid a stipend by the courts with the possibility that the difference is made up by your employer, or some other method?
Normal is for your employers to pay you as normal, and the court recompenses them. That's when the employer finds out the case only lasted two weeks, and he's been lazing around at home for the other 12
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
JohnBandettini wrote:
No we went home at night. In fact court hours were generally 10:15 to 16:15, so I'm going to find it hard doing those 'long' hours back at work. :D

How do I get to be on an English jury?

Scott

To get on a British Jury you would need to be a British Resident and on the electoral role. (Registered to vote)

If your company don't pay you while on Jury Service (I was lucky mine did), there are loss of earning payments. These start quite low (around £50 a day) but do go up depending on the time you are on the Jury (I think we were on around £100 per day after 14 weeks.). You also get your fares paid and a lunch allowance.

Of the people on the Jury some were a little worse off during the trail and some were better off. I was actually a bit better off. I was getting paid from work, but the court were paying my fares, which were the same as if I was going to work and I was getting the lunch allowance. (£5.39 per day)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5.39 pounds? That is like what, almost ten dollars american? Nice lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.