Subject: Online -V- In-Store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, just wondering what you Kiwis think of when buying a game. Is there any preference over buying a game from a store, or going online to get it sorted that way?

From my experience, the obvious benefit of a store is that you have the game immediately, and the obvious benefit of a website is that the price is generally cheaper.

What are the general thoughts on the buying process for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Larmer
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for online. As a war gamer there is just not the selection in NZ to buy in store. Having said that getting something in from overseas the P&P can be crippling.cry
R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Warwick Ball
New Zealand
Napier
North Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really want the Memoir44 Campaign Book but am pretty sure it hasn't landed yet - might have to go for an Online purchase for this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Online, stores simply don't stock a decent selection of wargames. Not to mention it is cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By war games, are you guys referring to the likes of Memoir '44, or more along the lines of Games Workshop titles?

I'm not a big Warhammer fan, but I can't deny its popularity in Aotearoa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no moneybags, but I'll happily pay a little more for a game in a FLGS, if it's the kind of place that really builds a relationship with the community. Mine (Mainly Toys in Mt. Eden) supports the local game group and is always hosting family events. I have no problem with ordering online if the game cannot be acquired locally, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Larmer
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
By war games, are you guys referring to the likes of Memoir '44, or more along the lines of Games Workshop titles?

More hex and counter type war games, but you are right there is more of a following of the miniature style war game down these ways.

Even some of the NZ online sites that I have asked about getting the likes of CC-Pacific or COH even! Cant or wont get them due to lack of demand so you are forced to go overseas.
R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unfortunately in Dunedin options are very limited indeed.
Even Nature's Discovery (which stocks or sells/takes orders for Linwood afaik) went down a few months ago zombie

I was roaming some aussie game selling sites and the prices were generally 10-20% more BEFORE the exchange rate was taken into consideration, that was a shock to say the least. Not paying GST on them helps a little, and shipping seems to be roughly the same as nz which is a little suspect as well.

On the other hand it is nice going out of town and looking around various stores seeing what is on offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
I'm no moneybags, but I'll happily pay a little more for a game in a FLGS, if it's the kind of place that really builds a relationship with the community. Mine (Mainly Toys in Mt. Eden) supports the local game group and is always hosting family events. I have no problem with ordering online if the game cannot be acquired locally, though.

Fair enough. I've been to a few local stores, and some are more helpful than others. My local one wasn't able to tell me if there were any gaming groups in my area, which I thought was disappointing. I tend to think, though, that online stores, (not just for board games, but in general), should aim to be more than just a place to buy games, but a place to get tips, tutorials, the latest industry news, and contacts of others interested in the same topic. But that's just my take on things.

I understand that some people are in board games to make a buck, but I love them because of the entertainment and social benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Pitts
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Online, almost every time, and almost entirely down to price.

The guys in my gaming group regularly combine orders to knock down the P&P part of the price - and this is becoming increasingly important as many overseas retailers only offer the highest cost shipping options.

If you don't mind downloading English translations and playing with components in another language, there are some incredibly good deals from Germany every now and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red63 wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

More hex and counter type war games, but you are right there is more of a following of the miniature style war game down these ways.

Even some of the NZ online sites that I have asked about getting the likes of CC-Pacific or COH even! Cant or wont get them due to lack of demand so you are forced to go overseas.
R

Combat Commander should be available in NZ...I would have thought. The COH titles seem harder to find, though.

I would have thought that war games would sell well here, (and Memoir '44 certainly seems to be flavour of the month in this regard), as those who are heavily into Warhammer et al would find the switch a refreshing one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a FLGS that helps organise games nights, and is usually able to get in most games. It won't arrive quickly, but we get a minimum of 8% - 20% off standard prices. I'm happy with that to help promote games in the Wairarapa and for the chance to see the boxes before buying. If I buy from overseas, it is usually directly from the puublishers as a discount pre-order of something I'm sure I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
Unfortunately in Dunedin options are very limited indeed.
Even Nature's Discovery (which stocks or sells/takes orders for Linwood afaik) went down a few months ago zombie

I was roaming some aussie game selling sites and the prices were generally 10-20% more BEFORE the exchange rate was taken into consideration, that was a shock to say the least. Not paying GST on them helps a little, and shipping seems to be roughly the same as nz which is a little suspect as well.

On the other hand it is nice going out of town and looking around various stores seeing what is on offer.

I try to avoid buying from overseas if I can - exchange rates and packaging costs sometimes do my head in! surprise

I don't know what the specific sites you're referring to charge in packaging, but I think different sites provide different qualities of packaging, if that makes sense. I guess it's a bit like TradeMe in that regard, although obviously a bit more professional!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nzgunner wrote:
Online, almost every time, and almost entirely down to price.

The guys in my gaming group regularly combine orders to knock down the P&P part of the price - and this is becoming increasingly important as many overseas retailers only offer the highest cost shipping options.

If you don't mind downloading English translations and playing with components in another language, there are some incredibly good deals from Germany every now and again.

Buying in bulk makes a lot of sense. Some stores will offer you a better deal on packaging if you do it that way.

I'm pretty pedantic, but I like my games in English.

(Thanks for the discussion, guys - it's great to touch base with more gamers!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
We have a FLGS that helps organise games nights, and is usually able to get in most games. It won't arrive quickly, but we get a minimum of 8% - 20% off standard prices. I'm happy with that to help promote games in the Wairarapa and for the chance to see the boxes before buying. If I buy from overseas, it is usually directly from the puublishers as a discount pre-order of something I'm sure I want.

Big ups to your FLGS, then! Do they (as in, FLGS's in general), tend to get involved with the likes of Wellycon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the camp that is happy to pay a little more for a local store. The drawback however, and I don't believe it is the fault of any of the stores, is that the delay on getting anything that is recent is horrible. So when there is a game that I feel compelled to get either because it is being really hyped or is a short print run I have to buy online. Agricola for example was released in Essen and I could look at a copy on the shelf for over 15 months which was the third printing I believe. I am seriously bummed for example that we never even had a chance to get any of the Treefrog games that were 1500 print maximum. There will never be a copy for sale at my local store, so what can I do?

All that said I love being able to walk in Wargame supplies or stop into all aboard on the way past and even, heaven forbid, browse at Toyworld. A FLGS has made a significant difference to the enthusiasm towards gaming in the area, and I appreciate all the FLGS in our area and try to buy evenly from all. Thanks to all the guys that have stores in Wellington.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
Red63 wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

R

Combat Commander should be available in NZ...I would have thought. The COH titles seem harder to find, though.

I would have thought that war games would sell well here, (and Memoir '44 certainly seems to be flavour of the month in this regard), as those who are heavily into Warhammer et al would find the switch a refreshing one.

I don't think you fully understand the type of games I mean when I say wargames. I'm talking hex and counter games and monster games. No one stocks them. Pretty much anyone who would play that kind of thing plays Miniature games in this country. Stores may stock absolute best sellers from GMT like Combat Commander or Twlight Struggle, but they don't stock heavy wargames or games from MMP, Clash of Arms, decision games, or the plethora of other wargame publishers.

I do a wargaming podcast and NZ stores do not stock the games I review. When they do (I saw a copy of the burning blue once) they are extremely expensive (about 50% more) than pre ording from the publisher, not to mention preording helps the game get made. If NZ stores start socking them of course I will buy here, but I very much doubt, our local store will start stocking stuff from The Gamers.

I am not talking about memoir 44 or even combat commander.

If you are interested in these games, check out this geeklist I did last week, it may give you a better indication

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44238
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like FLGS if possible, but the size of the market obviously means they can only stock a limited range. No online experience matches feeling the weight of that box in your hands.

I do feel for our stores. In Auckland, I've only had good experiences with King of Cards and Mainly Toys and even bought from Vagabond on occasion, but maybe the future will increasingly lie with online ordering.

What would be nice is some sort of central ordering system where one can pool P&P from the US... GMT has this sale on now, but if you add P&P for one game it's still stiff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
I like FLGS if possible, but the size of the market obviously means they can only stock a limited range. No online experience matches feeling the weight of that box in your hands.

I do feel for our stores. In Auckland, I've only had good experiences with King of Cards and Mainly Toys and even bought from Vagabond on occasion, but maybe the future will increasingly lie with online ordering.

What would be nice is some sort of central ordering system where one can pool P&P from the US... GMT has this sale on now, but if you add P&P for one game it's still stiff.
Sadly you have to order 2-4 games to make it worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
Red63 wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

R

I don't think you fully understand the type of games I mean when I say wargames. I'm talking hex and counter games and monster games. No one stocks them. Pretty much anyone who would play that kind of thing plays Miniature games in this country. Stores may stock absolute best sellers from GMT like Combat Commander or Twlight Struggle, but they don't stock heavy wargames or games from MMP, Clash of Arms, decision games, or the plethora of other wargame publishers.

I do a wargaming podcast and NZ stores do not stock the games I review. When they do (I saw a copy of the burning blue once) they are extremely expensive (about 50% more) than pre ording from the publisher, not to mention preording helps the game get made. If NZ stores start socking them of course I will buy here, but I very much doubt, our local store will start stocking stuff from The Gamers.

I am not talking about memoir 44 or even combat commander.

If you are interested in these games, check out this geeklist I did last week, it may give you a better indication

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44238

I apologise, Colin. I only referred to those as you said they weren't available in NZ-based online stores.

I would have imagined there'd be enough demand, going by the popularity of miniatures in NZ, and that the switch wouldn't be so difficult. (Although, I suppose it would be quite pricey to do both.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
I'm in the camp that is happy to pay a little more for a local store. The drawback however, and I don't believe it is the fault of any of the stores, is that the delay on getting anything that is recent is horrible. So when there is a game that I feel compelled to get either because it is being really hyped or is a short print run I have to buy online. Agricola for example was released in Essen and I could look at a copy on the shelf for over 15 months which was the third printing I believe. I am seriously bummed for example that we never even had a chance to get any of the Treefrog games that were 1500 print maximum. There will never be a copy for sale at my local store, so what can I do?

All that said I love being able to walk in Wargame supplies or stop into all aboard on the way past and even, heaven forbid, browse at Toyworld. A FLGS has made a significant difference to the enthusiasm towards gaming in the area, and I appreciate all the FLGS in our area and try to buy evenly from all. Thanks to all the guys that have stores in Wellington.

I agree with supporting the local guy, but if they can't get the game, it makes sense to go direct to the publisher, even if it pays overs. Some games are worth paying overs, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:

I did a game development (as in PC/video games) course a few years ago, and they were adamant that despite the internet being the biggest growing market for game purchases, the local computer store would survive because people like being able to hold something physical off a shelf when they purchase it.

Of course, the board game industry here is much smaller than the video game one, so that may not be the case here in the long term, but there certainly is something special about holding the product and getting a feel for it in-store.

Personally, I tend to be driven more by the dollar and good/bad service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:

I apologise, Colin. I only referred to those as you said they weren't available in NZ-based online stores.
No need to apologize, perhaps I came off a bit forceful I didn't mean to.
seriouslyboard wrote:

I would have imagined there'd be enough demand, going by the popularity of miniatures in NZ, and that the switch wouldn't be so difficult. (Although, I suppose it would be quite pricey to do both.)
The issue is complicated. Most miniature gamers (and I used to be one), don't like to challenge themselves, at least in this country. It takes a particular madness to be a board wargamer, more I think than being a miniature gamer. They are happy with DBM, Games Workshop, Flames of War and FoG. Most play boardgames as a diversion. I don't try to proselytize too much, I figure if some one is interested they know where to find me. I have quite a few opponents in auckland, none of whom are miniature gamers (well one of them who I occaisionally play is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Larmer
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
Red63 wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

R

David

True, you can get Combat Commander Europe in NZ but if you want Pacific, Mediterranean or something just a little off the norm its time to start going overseas.

I used to do the miniature thing when I was younger and had more time to collect, sit down and paint them. But with a board game its all in the box and is a little less daunting when trying to teach a non-board gamer.

R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

No need to apologize, perhaps I came off a bit forceful I didn't mean to.

Hehe, all good, Colin! I figured you didn't mean to, but was just playing it safe.

ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

The issue is complicated. Most miniature gamers (and I used to be one), don't like to challenge themselves, at least in this country. It takes a particular madness to be a board wargamer, more I think than being a miniature gamer. They are happy with DBM, Games Workshop, Flames of War and FoG. Most play boardgames as a diversion. I don't try to proselytize too much, I figure if some one is interested they know where to find me. I have quite a few opponents in auckland, none of whom are miniature gamers (well one of them who I occaisionally play is).

Apathy is an aspect of Kiwiana that is prevalent among gamers and non-gamers, young and old, and across all class levels. It's sad, but true, that few dare to think outside of the box...much less step outside of it. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.