Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: todo [+] [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked RA, but I did find it a bit too simple for my tastes and greatly disliked the random element of when the round would end/game would end. Any chance this game is any better in those regards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Metropolys is anything like Ra. However, I think Metropolys is simpler than Ra, and more subject to multiplayer chaos. Perhaps you'd be better off looking at one of the other Knizia auction games, like Medici.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Though everyone says Metropolus is an auction game, I'd say its not. Its not like Ra at all.

If you want a deeper auction game then yes Medici is one (if not the only) option that I am aware of.

Metropolys is an area control game, and a very good one at that. Base decision to get it based on how much you like that genre of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metropolys is nothing like Ra. It's a great game but it's as much an area control game as an auction game. If you're looking for a good auction game that's not Ra I would recommmend Medici or Modern Art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Metropolys is extremely tactical ("...if I do this, he might do that, and then she might do that, and then...") Ra is not very tactical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like Ra for the same reasons you describe. I love Metropolys. I would describe it as a trick taking game that is played on a board. Although you only play hand and it is very tactical (I agree with Eric). It is also easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Metropolys is nothing like Ra. If you want an auction game with more depth, perhaps look at Amun-Re?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
shadow9d9 wrote:
I liked RA, but I did find it a bit too simple for my tastes and greatly disliked the random element of when the round would end/game would end. Any chance this game is any better in those regards?

Metropolys and Ra are similar in that they both force the players to consider the inherent worth of a particular game element for themselves as well as others, and whether or not it warrants losing bidding power to. In Ra, this element is a set of tiles; in Metropolys, a city neigbourhood. However, Metropolys allows for incremental bids which simultaneously change both the neighbourhood you're bidding on as well as those wich might get bid on in the immediate future, whereas in Ra you only have one chance at getting the goods---although there are plenty of situations where immediate strong bidding in the former is warranted. Translated to Ra, you'd be placing a bid every time a new tile was added to the row, but without the presence of Ra-tiles and the ability to call out Ra.

Apart from that, the games do not have much in common, although it can be argued that the above is precisely the 'meat' of the games and that they are quite common, much more so than the above posters make out That said, Metropolys does not come with a random round ending element, and is with scoring easier than the messy business of Ra; on the other hand it works with hidden secret goals (for a good reason, though) so players cannot precisely calculate the reason why someone is bidding up for a particular neighbourhood until well into the game. All in all I think you'd find Metropolys too simple as well but for different reasons, unless you like the hidden goal-aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
I don't think Metropolys is anything like Ra. However, I think Metropolys is simpler than Ra, and more subject to multiplayer chaos.

It's been too long since I played Ra to compare them in terms of multiplayer chaos, but I can say that Metropolys works great as a 2-player game as well as 3- and 4-player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
It's been too long since I played Ra to compare them in terms of multiplayer chaos, but I can say that Metropolys works great as a 2-player game as well as 3- and 4-player!

Seconded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
I do not like Ra for the same reasons you describe. I love Metropolys. I would describe it as a trick taking game that is played on a board. Although you only play hand and it is very tactical (I agree with Eric). It is also easy to learn.

This is precisely how I would describe it as well. Sort of a climbing-style (e.g. Tichu, President) card game where buildings are your cards, and the board spaces determine what you win. Nothing like Ra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
Metropolys and Ra are similar in that they both force the players to consider the inherent worth of a particular game element for themselves as well as others, and whether or not it warrants losing bidding power to. In Ra, this element is a set of tiles; in Metropolys, a city neigbourhood. However, Metropolys allows for incremental bids which simultaneously change both the neighbourhood you're bidding on as well as those wich might get bid on in the immediate future, whereas in Ra you only have one chance at getting the goods---although there are plenty of situations where immediate strong bidding in the former is warranted. Translated to Ra, you'd be placing a bid every time a new tile was added to the row, but without the presence of Ra-tiles and the ability to call out Ra.

Apart from that, the games do not have much in common, although it can be argued that the above is precisely the 'meat' of the games and that they are quite common, much more so than the above posters make out.

Great comment! I tried Metropolys today for the first time today and I enjoyed it a lot, though not as much as Ra. I too agree that they have more in common than other posters have indicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Lee
United States
San Gabriel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree this is a trick taking game, more in common with Tichu or Mu rather than Ra. That precisely explains why I love this game so much!
I also have problems with Ra with the huge element of chance that is not as pronounced in other games, though it may be a better game to play with less experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.