Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim A
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After only 3 games, and this one having 3 whole players, we got a half-decent game going. As usual, they started out with a "us against Jim" mindset, but I guess because one player hadn't played before, I convinced her to make some trades, which opened up the other one, who didn't want her to be the only person with a set. (Yes, that's right, I gave someone a set with no set in return, and then used that to convince the other player that she and I would lose, so I managed to kill the "us against Jim" mindset for long enough to make some trades.

I wound up with the 2 cheapest properties on the board - Med and Baltic - and built hotels on them (our first!). They're cheap, and don't pay much, so no one squawked. Later I traded for Arctic and then raised a skyscraper (our first!) and waited for some income to come in. Once it did, I converted to all skyscrapers.

One player quits, the other gets the Free Parking jackpot (argh!) and there are again a lot of properties to buy so that the Monkey can't be used to save me. I've got a lot mortgaged, trying to buy up everything, and then finally everything gets bought, and now the Monkey can start killing, because I'm the only one with any real developments.

Of course, I'm the only one who rolls him, and I get nickled and dimed, but then FINALLY, little Miss I-got-the-jackpot rolls a Monkey, but not just that, she also lands on the Auction space. Guess where she has to go?

BALTIC! With a Skyscraper!

And the Monkey means she next goes to ARCTIC! With a Skyscraper!

$1900!!!

She probably could have paid it by mortgaging everything, but she was itching to quit anyway.

I've never seen the cheap properties eliminate a player before, and she got hit with a double-whammy right when I needed her to.

Anyone else got some cool victories to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
devil You did it, Jim! Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim A
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! We'll see if it takes. My cousin is now convinced that the three cheapies are the best properties to get, which they probably are with the extra-high skyscraper rent. That whole row can get you cheap skyscrapers that few will be able to pay for two hits on. If that means I can now convince her to trade, then she's progressing and so am I!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsuplaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think each time I've won this game it involved skyscrapers on Mediterranean and Baltic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.