Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rules are great, but I find one thing totally confusing.

Under game components where it describes the board it introduces the concept of coastlines. It states that:

If a region is connected to another region by a coastline (for example, Spain and Algeria), troops can move between them as if they shared a land border.

Problem is, Spain and Algeria are not actually connected, they are just very close.

So, my question is, what else is considered connected in this way?

Norway-Sweden and Germany?

Somaliland and Saudi Arabia?

Turkey and the Balkans?

Saudi Arabia and Iran?

Great Britain and France?

Japan and Vladivostok?

Anything else?

Most of these I assume are not connected in this manner, but then I would not have connected Spain and Algeria either.

So is there a difinitive list of "coastline connections" anywhere?

I have no problem with coastlines for ship placement, I just don't see the connections for troop movement.

On other thing, the map in this introductory section of the rules no longer shows how continents are defined. I already have the original rules so this is not a problem for me (knowing that Japan is part of Asia and not Oceana), but for anyone starting with Attack! Deluxe it is likely confusing as well.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any two regions bordering a sea zone with an anchor is the definition.

Bordering the Carribean Sea Zone are: The Old South, The Great Plains, Mexico, Panama, Colombia, Amazonia.

Boredring the North Sea Zone are: Norway-Sweden, Finland, Karelia, Poland, Germany, France and Great Britain

Bordering the Mediterranean Sea Zone are: Algeria, Libya, Egypt-Sudan, Syria-Iraq, Turkey, Caucasus, Ukraine, The Balkans, Italy, France and Spain.

Bordering the Coral Sea Zone are: French Indochina, Burma-Malay, Western Australia, Northern Australia, Queensland, New Guinea and the Dutch East Indies.

Bordering the Sea of Japan are: Japan, Koryak, Yakut, Vladivostok and Manchuko-Korea

You can Move, Blitz, Transport, Negotiate and Build across these anchored sea zones as though any or the regions adjacent to the sea zone shared a border with and other region adjacent to the sea zone IF AND ONLY IF your naval units control the sea zone OR no naval units control the sea zone OR you have the permission of the player whose naval units control the sea zone to do so.

For purposes of Transport, Negotiate and Build (but NOT Move or Blitz), you can treat regions connected by a sea lane the same way, with the same restictions on ownership of the sea zone(s) the sea lane passes through.

Hope that helps clear things up.

(Nice avatar, BTW.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ty church
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
That all mkes sense but how would i treat the red sea and is the black sea apart of the med sea

and does the rule still apply that you cant rue less than one die in battle for example if i have one plane left do i roll one or two dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was aware of the rules regarding anchor sea zones, but I had the mistaken impression that the coastline thing was somehow different from this. I.e. I thought you could move from spain to algeria even if an enemy controlled the mediterranian and denied you passage. Just following the regular anchor seazone rule is much simpler and makes sense.

Also good point above about the minimum dice in combat rule, is that still in effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b4_church wrote:
That all mkes sense but how would i treat the red sea and is the black sea apart of the med sea

and does the rule still apply that you cant rue less than one die in battle for example if i have one plane left do i roll one or two dice?

One unit = one die. No units get multiple dice like tanks did in the base game. (The exception to this is an aircraft carrier, which gets a land die (hits on plane) as well as a naval die.)

Black Sea is part of Med. Red Sea is part of Indian Ocean. You can travel between Med & Indian using Suez Canal at sufferance of player holding Egypt-Sudan. Similar for Carribean and Pacific via Panama Canal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ty church
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help my last question is in order to attack somaliland(or what ever its called) from saudi Arabia would i need to embark and disembark from ships or can you cross it on land if you control the indian ocean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b4_church wrote:
Thanks for the help my last question is in order to attack somaliland(or what ever its called) from saudi Arabia would i need to embark and disembark from ships or can you cross it on land if you control the indian ocean?

Since the Indian Ocean is not an "anchored" sea zone, you would have to embark units on ships with a NAVIGATE action and disembark units with a MOVE action to attack Somaliland from Saudi Arabia. (IMO, it might have made for a more fluid map if the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea were an "anchored" Persian Gulf sea zone.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ty church
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks again for all the help now time to get back to playin the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill,

You are spot on sir!

Thanks so much for getting to these questions so fast!

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vita fit
Germany
flag msg tools
bill_andel wrote:

Bordering the Coral Sea Zone are: French Indochina, Burma-Malay, Western Australia, Northern Australia, Queensland, New Guinea and the Dutch East Indies.

There was an arguement in our group concerning New Guinea,
which according to some does NOT border the Coral Sea Zone because
it is separated from it by the orange line (unlike the Dutch East Indies which is "inside" the orange border). It kind of makes sense because we've found no explanation for the maker's intention for this unique case.

How would you think about it? Also, still in that case New Guinea is connected to Queensland because they share a coastline, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Guinea and Queensland do NOT share a coast line. There is a narrow intersetion (orange border) beteen the Coral Sea and the Southwest Pacific which separates them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vita fit
Germany
flag msg tools
I see. So the Philippines and the Dutch east Indies don't share a coastline either as we played it. makes it pretty hard for oceania..

Still you would agree New Guinea does NOT border the Coral Sea (because of orange border)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the rules, yeah. While I find Attack! Deluxe a vast improvement over the original, I wish they had improved the map as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.