9 Posts

Hacienda» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring Hacienda on single land tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cesar Pim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation of the rules is that you can put a hacienda on a single land tile, but if it remains single till when we are scoring, does that hacienda give you 1 point?

I ask this because in the manual they define "land chain" as a group of 2 or more adjacent land tiles. So a single land tile is not a chain and therefore will not receive points from the hacienda?

My feeling is that the game designer intended it to score 1 point. But I'm not 100% sure.

Any thoughts?
Cesar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly sure why you would put it on a single land piece to begin with, but I would assume that in exchange for your bold move you would in fact score a single point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Phillips
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
Not exactly sure why you would put it on a single land piece to begin with, but I would assume that in exchange for your bold move you would in fact score a single point.

I agree with this, but also with the point - why would you do this? Surely somewhere on the entire board you must have either 2x land tiles or 2x animal tiles as a chain (remember haziendas can be placed on herds as well as land).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should lose one point for punishment; it's a terrible move! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
It costs 1.2 points (money) and an action, and gains you 1 point (or maybe 2 if you play it in the first half). On the face of it it is a very bad move.
On the other hand, if it's the last Hacienda and your opponent could score a few points, then yes it might be worth it for points-denial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

While I'm going to agree that this sounds like a dumb move, I can think of one good and one *very* good reason to put a hacienda on a single land tile:

Good Reason: There's only one hacienda left and you want to make sure you get it. You only have one land tile over there, but you already have two others, or two Pampas Grass tiles, to go with it and increase its score.

*Very* Good Reason: There's only one hacienda left, and an opponent has the money and a ten tile chain to place it on. Sure, you're trading a point in money for a point in hacienda, but you're depriving your opponent of a nine point gain. If your opponent waited too long to hacienda his big chain, this is how you make him pay for that error.

So this could be a game-winning move.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason isner
United States
Unspecified
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

While I'm going to agree that this sounds like a dumb move, I can think of one good and one *very* good reason to put a hacienda on a single land tile:

*Very* Good Reason: There's only one hacienda left, and an opponent has the money and a ten tile chain to place it on. Sure, you're trading a point in money for a point in hacienda, but you're depriving your opponent of a nine point gain. If your opponent waited too long to hacienda his big chain, this is how you make him pay for that error.

Andrew

here ya go, lost in the end though.

http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=76093

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, that was a game.

You lost by two points. You denied him 19! Placing the Hacienda on a single land tile turned a trouncing into a squeeker. I rest my case.

Great game. Makes me afraid to try Hacienda with two players...

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

Good Reason: There's only one hacienda left and you want to make sure you get it. You only have one land tile over there, but you already have two others, or two Pampas Grass tiles, to go with it and increase its score.

Andrew

Exactly this. We just finished a game last night... we were playing with both of the variant rules, so were doing immediate scoring, and it was a VERY brutal (in a good way) at the end and I won by exactly one point and the rest (five player game) were not far behind. We were to the point where just one more person taking an animal card would initiate the final round ending the game, and no one was in a hurry to do so, crunching all the numbers in their heads on how to squeeze out just one or two more VPs. Trading the money point for the hacienda point gives you the hope that maybe if the game lasts just one more round you might be able to squeeze another land tile in there somewhere for another 3 points. Truly some deliciously agonizing decisions at the end there. I think we'll be playing with the immediate-scoring from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.