Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have dabbled in Infinity for a few years; most of my gaming group have a faction starter and a few extra figures. Unfortunately we've never really got to grips with it; it's a simple game with LOTS of special rules, which means you can spend ages looking up rules. Yesterday me (PanOceana) and John (Haqquislam) decided to play a proper game, all rules etc.

We just used everything we had, not bothering with points; I had the PO starter, John Haqquislam and a couple of extra figures. We put down a fair amount of scenery and agreed their impact before the game began - hills hid you, barrels, boxes and walls gave light cover, same with trees. (Note this game NEEDS LOTS of cover, otherwise things just move and die. Quickly.

I wont bore you with the sordid details of my crushing victory, suffice to say John's forces were quickly reduced beneath the steely Jack boot of my forces, in particular the Doc Marten's of my ORC trooper who is an absolute monster at this level.

What did we find? We played 2 full turns, mainly to remind ourselves of the flow of the game. The scenario was "capture the house". The game took about 2 hours!
Firstly, whilst the rulebook (2nd ed) is lovely, it is also really difficult to find what you need. But it is all in there. We agreed, after the game, it would be mighty useful to list your units abilities, equipment and weapons separately to save time constantly referring to the rules/lists.
Medics are useful; when a man reaches 0 wounds (most troopers have 1) they are dead unless they have some form of first aid ability (uncommon)or a medic is nearby to patch him up. John had a medic and spent a long time lobbing smoke to get to his injured man...who we then discovered had regeneration...but still we at least read the grenade, smoke, parabolic fire, doctor and regeneration rules! (We also assumed all units had grenades, re reading the rules Im 99% certain they don't unless specified in the lists).
We found 1 hard unit can massively influence the game - my ORC trooper took 1 wound (he has 2) but captured the house and held off 2 troopers on his own; the rest of my army (4 Fulileers) did very little, and my Croc man was hidden all on his own (Camoflage & Hiding L3) and did nothing all game.

Conclusion. This game is awsome and worth persevering with. It's simple (a D20 and a few modifers) but has a lot of special rules which are themselves quite straightforward WHEN you find them. ARO (reactions triggered by opposing actions) are very powerful; clear sight lines are a must/smoke is a necesity.

And ORCs rule...til someone gets a TAG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ORCs are nice as are most heavy infantry, but our group has discussed and yet to implement the use of coordinated orders to reduce the effectiveness of AROs. For example, giving an action to three figures at once vice seperately. This forces the inactive player to choose where to use his ARO instead of getting an ARO against each figure. Its the concept that a coordinated attack of several units can overwhelm a lone defender whereas one ORC can pick off would be attackers if they approach one at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That'd probably work. Smoke grenades could be effective as well (IIRC ORCs dont have any fancy visual abilities).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.