Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
After watching an attempt to form a regular group via meetup.com go nowhere, and not finding the ever elusive UVA group, I'm thinking about trying to set up a regular gamegroup here in Charlottesville via BGG. I am willing to host the first few meetings, but before I set up anything I'd like a little feedback from the gamers in the area.What timeframe would be convenient,a weekday evening or weekend afternoons? What type of games do you play? How often would you like to meet? Any questions I forgot?

Geekmail me with your ideas, or post them out here in the wide open. I'll take everything in consideration and open a new thread after I get back from my vacation in mid-August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Schertler
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anybody who might find this via a search at some point, Steve has successfully made contact with the UVA gaming group (aka UVA HSS, Historical Simulation Society) and is in the process of being assimilated. If you're interested in being assimilated as well, read on.

The group meets every Friday at New Cabell Hall and new people are always welcome, no University affiliation required! We mostly play Euros but there's often a wargame going on as well, and Titan has a special place in the hearts of many. I understand that over the group's 39 year (!) history there were times when RPGs were the favored form.

If I'm remembering correctly, we meet in room 234 plus a few more in the vicinity, depending on the turnout. If I've got the number wrong it shouldn't be hard to find us, just follow the noise. I think officially it starts at 7:00, but there's usually games going on by 6:30 and often earlier.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like further information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this past friday we had a game of East Front going. Most of my own collection consists of older SPI/AH games and newer GMT releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halcyon Dream
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Count me in (I've been one of the few answering the call on Meetup, but have been unable to make the Saturday games). I've got a couple of regulars from my work who join me for games (though they've not been assimilated by BGG yet...).

My only difficulty is our 10 month old baby. She isn't quite ready for any Euros yet. laugh I do have a game room at our house which can host 8-12 people readily. Having events at our house also simplifies the baby issue since she can retire to her room as needed.

Weekends are probably hit or miss for us due to traveling to visit family.

I'll watch this thread for the overall C'ville response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this group, or another incarnation of it, still meet? I'm in the area and would like to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folded into the UVa Friday night game group. Every Friday night at New Cabell Hall (2nd floor) from 6PM thru the wee hours. Usually around a dozen or so, well versed gamers, there should be something being played that's to your liking. There's also a Meetup.com group that meets on Saturdays at 11,(sometimes at my house, sometimes a public venue).
Geekmail me for directions if needed.
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll try to check it out sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.