Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb

Leading the British Open, arguably the hardest golf tournament on the planet, with 18 holes to play, this guy is shy of 60 years old by only two months...

Let me say that again. Tom Watson will be SIXTY years old in September.

He was my age when he was my childhood hero. He's leading the most grueling golf tournament on earth. Tom Watson had a hip replacement less than a year ago.

Most of his colleagues have retired... from the SENIOR TOUR!!

His interview yesterday was brilliant. He said that he "had a plan" for the course, and that he considered Turnburry a "spiritual" one. He found the former easier to intimate than the latter, but he did show a zenlike calm about him as he was interviewed.

Remember last year when Greg Norman, a 53 year old who happened to be on his honeymoon, led after 72 holes at Royal Birkesdale. That was really incredible. But this was unfathomable to me.

This vindicates me for the choice to opt out of football in HS, which I still regret sometimes, and play golf. "A lifetime sport," golf was something I had played since age 12, and a sport I was quite skilled at when I was 15.

So I did get to play 72 different courses, and 2000 rounds of golf for free before the age of 18, and that will always be part of my precious memories. I tried out for a collegiate golf team but came up a bit short, with a case of the jitters on the initial tryout.

I was invited back to tryout a second time, but I declined. Not sure why, except that I had scored just shy of 100 on the round at the country club, and was a bit ashamed. The coach said, "I've never seen someone score a 10 and a 12 on a round in a tryout and avoid breaking 100."

But I digress. Watson has empowered my hope. I'm looking forward to great things over the next 20+ years. Win or lose, he's proven that, as the stupid ad on ABC airing at this moment for the Courtney Cox sitcom, Cougar Town says, "40 is the new 20!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post.

I'm rooting for Watson. Would be incredible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
He's got the one shot lead heading to the 17th.

But Cink has just tied him to post -2 at 18, and Westwood has an eagle putt. Watson has a legitimate shot at birdie at 17 left, and who knows???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He now takes a one stroke lead into the 18th hole!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As much as I like Stewart Cink, I am not happy to see the 4-hole playoff.

This would be tragic if Watson loses in a playoff. It would be equally heroic if he won, but the bogey on 18 was hard to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is very sad now to see Tom losing like this. To have been tentative on 18 over that putt, to make a poor choice into the green on the first playoff hole after Cink bunkered his... and looking tired on the second playoff hole... very tired and sad.

Ugh, he missed another short one.

*METRO moment*

Cink really needs to get a wardrobe guy. He looks a bit like the upper half of his outfit is somewhat euro, but the bottom half is totally Steve Stricker, blousy trousers and saddle golf shoes.

He ought to have paired the lime green with skinny golf pants of the same color and a white belt, plus addidas golf shoes (or nike if he's sponsored by them) which were the color of his sweater.

*METRO moment over*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Well, it is very sad now to see Tom losing like this. To have been tentative on 18 over that putt, to make a poor choice into the green on the first playoff hole after Cink bunkered his... and looking tired on the second playoff hole... very tired and sad.

*METRO moment*

Cink really needs to get a wardrobe guy. He looks a bit like the upper half of his outfit is somewhat euro, but the bottom half is totally Steve Stricker, blousy trousers and saddle golf shoes.

He ought to have paired the lime green with skinny golf pants of the same color and a white belt, plus addidas golf shoes (or nike if he's sponsored by them) which were the color of his sweater.

*METRO moment over*

Wow, fashion commentary, too! Take that, Costas! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually very glad to see Stewart Cink finally win a major. He's been a solid player for many years and he deserved it. As for his clothing, maybe he'll get a little more help now that he's won.

Tom Watson is an inspiration and really made this a very memorable Open. It's a tough one to lose but he has a record to be proud of, regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Stewart Cink--but, man, I was ROOTING for Watson. I knew when that approach shot on the 18th went long that it would be tough--and if it went extra holes that he would lose. I was right.

Sigh.

But, congrats to Cink. Good to know there can be interest in a major without Tiger around! (Of course, it took a legend from the past to make it happen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
diehard4life wrote:

*METRO moment*

*METRO moment over*

Wow, fashion commentary, too! Take that, Costas! laugh

Yeah, I am a bit of a freak. You should read my food critiques.

But I AM happy for Cink.

He's a good guy. He deserves to win, and it "will change his life" as Azinger said.

But the press conference with Watson brought me to tears. He was the young Tom up there, trapped in an older man's body. He didn't speak like a benevolent "grandpa" figure. He spoke like a young man, who wanted to win.

CONGRATS STEWART. I've loved you in the Ryder Cup, and respect your game. And I particularly appreciated your candor regarding the melancholy of beating Tom on this day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This article articulates the complexity of the moment best:

Cink won, but the rest of us lost with Watson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.