Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played yesterday age of mythology with 2 players with some variants that I wont list and It happen that this time I got a very bad game. In fact, I could not even reach the mythic age, I had to sacrifice a lot of action just to reach the heroic age.

One of the reason for this is while I played the egyptian and the other player played the norse, Most of the time, he gather mountain and forest which gave me almost no resources. So the only way to get resources was to gather by myself.

I also always got the problem that every time one of us explored, we ended up with mountains and forest that I could not pick anyway.

Now I was thinking that in a 6 player game, the resources would probably get in much way much faster and the game play would be totally different. You would also get more choice of tiles to pick up.

Probably reaching the mythic age could be done sooner allowing to really use more powerful units (PC variant: each age unlock units)

So my suggestion is to make sure that the only 2 actions that are resolved by all players, only get resolved by the player who plays it. So that whatever the number of players, it does not change the balance of the game.

My suggestions:

Gather: You can select 2 gather type, either by resources or terrain ( 2 res., 2 ter., or 1 res.+ 1 ter.). You are the only player gathering.

Bug with some god abilities that prevent others from gathering.

Explore: The number of players is always considered to be 3. You draw the tiles and pick 2 tiles you want.

Again, some bug with the god cards.

What do you think?

Does anybody has suggestions for the god cards conflict?

---------------------------------------

The other way to adjust hings would be to get artificial players doing things. Probably perform an explore or gather action once a while.

Or adjust some numbers or give some bonus according to the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that much of the territory board would be meaningless with this variant. If the Greek always get their Fertiles and Hills, why do they even have their desert, forest, swamp or mountain tiles? THey already have all of the resource production they need. The only reason for those is to leech a bit off of other civilizations production.

I think the "artificial player" system you mentioned might be a little more appropriate for your purposes. It would get more resources into your hands without dramatically altering game balance.

I also might say that the "problem" you were mentioning may just be an artifact of your playstyle. Although he could produce without benefiting you, you can do the same to him by producing Deserts (which gives you lots of resources but very little for him). You might just not be producing enough yourself. After all, if he's doing Produce actions more often than you, then he should be ahead of you in resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah if you focus on leaching off of others you'll end up with only what they give you. Thus you're obviously gonna end up behind. Only an idiot or someone desperate would produce knowing that you'd get more out of it.

NOTE: 2 player is not very good, it's best with 3-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is missing resources at 2 players, then at 6 players everybody would be fully loaded (of course, there is a maximum of cubes in play, and players are more likely to attack each other).

So if I add an imaginary 3rd player in the game, it might solve the 2 player game problems and there might not need to be any adjustments for the 5-6 player games.

As a 3rd player, I was thinking that he has a stack of cards with explore actions and gather cards specific to a terrain or resources. Each turn, you draw 1 or 2 cards (probably 1) from that imaginary player. So that the gathered tiles are different every time.

Or I use the land disposition of the 3rd unused culture to determines the odds to pickup a certain terrain type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've solved it by using phantom "teams". IE each player controls two allied empires which play as teams. I do the turn order as A1, B1, A2, B2, etc... It seems to work pretty good so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean you play with 2 board and plan all the resources and actions of both faction?

This would be extremely heavy to manage?

If not, what aspects of the phantom player do you manage?

--------------------------------------

A cheap solution could be to have more action cards in your hands and play more actions every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't use phantom players.

Each human player has control of two factions. Yes, that does require you to plan both, but you plan their actions from a "team play" point of view, so they aren't completely seperate.

Playing more actions? why not just change the VP assignment to 2 per turn instead of 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! like playing more turns with less players, that could be interesting besides the fact that the game takes more time to play. But I think it could allow some kind of catchup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, the VP system isn't really meant for 2 players. a 3 2 player turns are the equivalent of 2 3 player turns. Thus the small change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another easy way to balance 2 player games would be that each turn, each player get a free gather or explore basic action.

Optionally, this action only works for the player who use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't sound like it'd make things more balanced. It'd make using the "real" actions almost a waste of time(unless you really needed it). all it'd really do is speed the game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.