Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody I talk with said that there is only tension at the end of the game and there is nothing really tense going on through the game.

I thought that this is probably due to the fact that you don't know how much points everybody is going to get until the end of the game.

So I was thinking, but don't have a clear idea yet, of having a system where you get rewards through the game where players compete for these small rewards.

I was roughly thinking of something like in twilight imperium where you have objective cards that you try to fulfill and while the time progress you get more difficult task.

The way if could work is that you pickup each turn a random card which stay there until fulfilled. Each card has 3 cubes. When the first player complete an objective, he picks up 2 cubes, the second player to complete it picks up 1 cubes (or maybe each objective is done once for 3 cubes which removes the need of cubes). You would draw 10 cards through the game and there might be more than 10 objective cards which mean that the objective would change from a game to another.

Objectives could look like:

Get X buildings
Give away X resource cubes
Get an army size of X units
Get X land tiles in play

And for each of these, there would have 2 or 3 different level. Ex: get 5, 10, 15 buildings in play. At the beginning of the game, you get low level cards, at the end you get high level cards.

Not sure yet for the wonders, maybe you pick up all unused victory cubes, so that the sooner you build it the more cubes you get.

Same thing for trading favor which would definitely make the game shorter.

---------------------------------------------------

If I don't place cube on cards (each condition is accomplished once), I could place a victory point value on each card that the player keep once fulfilled. Then according to the number of players, a certain number of cubes will be placed in the game (where 30 cubes is for 6 players (maybe 5 per player)). When trading favor, you draw cubes from this stack and building the wonder pick all these cubes.

So the wonder is worth more with more players but more players can try to trade favor. Also more players compete for the same objective cards unless the number of objective cards placed in play is relative to the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... replacing the VP system does sound kinda fun. I like the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Objectives during the game sounds like fun.
However I would prefer equal points for anyone who meets the criteria, just like Twilight Imperium 3.
I don't have the time right now to come up with suggestions, but I'll think about some when I get the time (or check out what you people find out...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if I should allow

- An objective should be able to get fulfilled by everybody or more than 1 player?

- Increase the difficulty of the objectives through time.

- Show all the objectives at the beginning of the game VS uncover a certain amount and add an objective every turn.

If scoring is "a la" twilight imperium, it might mean that you are only going to claim 1 objective per turn. So you must somewhat prepare yourself for the next objective in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the difficulty does not increase with time, then it needs to be relative competition between players which means that there will always be a winner:

ex:
the player with the most myth units
The player with the most resources of the same type
The player with the most houses.

How it could be played is that there is X objective face up where X is the number of players. Players pickup objectives they can win in clockwise order from the starting player. If you can fulfill multiple objectives, you can only pickup 1 (not sure). Then you place up to 5 objectives to the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I like the idea of an objective that gets completed by getting multiple objectives. and also "UBER" versions of objectives. Such as an objective for creating an army of 15 and a more potent version for 25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. Has anyting more been done with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something, My web site is down but the files should be available on BGG, it's called the "Melting Pot Variant"

Age of Mythology - Melting Pot Variant 2.0 - Rules
Age of Mythology - Melting Pot Variant 2.0 - Print OUt - Part 1/2
Age of Mythology - Melting Pot Variant 2.0 - Print OUt - Part 2/2

From what I remember the variant is pretty modular, so you use what ever you like.

Now there is only 1 thing that is not perfectly balanced but I have not clue how to solve it.

In this variant, the wonder gives victory points and that amount varies according to the number of players. But I am not sure it gives the right amount of points. Maybe with 3 players or less it should give more.

It is very hard to evaluate mathematically because winners are more likely to win the next turn also. Second, in 2-3 player games, most people should score at least 1 things. In 4-6 players, not all players will score something.

So it becomes hard to evaluate what should be the right values.

If you have any questions or problems with the files, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunh, I just realized I've never actually tried this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I was looking over your unit sheets and realized you didn't tweak one of the things that had the biggest balance issue in stock. Scorps and Hydras. I sometimes wonder if they accidentally swapped the costs in printing. Why? well, as a general rule a unit's cost is 1 less than it's power, unless they have a special ability. Scorp has a cost of 6 and power of 5, and no ability. Hydra has a cost of 4, and power of 6 with an ability. kinda weird... huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm! let me check this out. Like explained in the rules, my variant is a melting pot of many variants proposed on this website that I selected and put together while adding my personal touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'sup?

do you think it would be a good house rule to swap the cost of the two units? Or maybe just the total amounts needed to recruit them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.